What are the chances that this is a craigslist scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jewstin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Jewstin macrumors newbie

I want to buy an iphone 4 but not for the full price. I found a craigslist ad and the person told me he also has the receipt. He also gave me the serial to check the warranty.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ele/2574269234.html

What are the chances that this is a scam and the seller will report this stolen after I buy it? Thanks.

Edit: If I do buy this should I take the receipt? He was hesitant when I asked for receipt and stated that all his information was on it.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No way to know anything for sure in advance, but the more you can find out about the person advance, the safer you should be... with the receipt being a step in the right direction.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. Jewstin thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I think I will pick this up off him tomorrow.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You should ask to at least see(view in person) the receipt if he doesn't want to give it. If he can't produce the receipt, that's the first caution sign since he's lied about it. If it's a CDMA phone, I would be wary cause it could be stolen and/or over due payments. GSM is less worry, pop in a sim and go.

6. Jewstin thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by CDMA and GSM? This is my first phone :p

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Does it require a SIM card(GSM), or does it require the carrier to activate. If it's a CDMA and has a bad ESN, your screwed.

You should really do some research before purchase. What carrier will you be with? GSM or CDMA? And look up what frequencies the carrier uses. etc:

If it's a GSM phone, the seller can report it stolen a billion times and the phone would still be good.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

well, if you looked at the ad, you would see that it's a Canadian ad. no CDMA iPhone's in Canada.

also, it's a Bell locked iPhone (GSM)

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I did look at the ad, but I'm not familiar with Canada. ;)

10. Jewstin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so because of GSM, buying iphones via craigslist/ebay in Canada is safer than in US I would assume.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Here in the US we have carriers that use CDMA and others that use GSM. Like Verizon uses CDMA(no sim) & ATT uses GSM(sim card).

Only thing you have to worry about is if you using another carrier besides Bell. Will you be able to get it unlocked? I don't know if carriers in Canada do a factory unlock. If not, the latest FW update could make it difficult if your not already with Bell.

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

What are the chances that we'll see the sun tomorrow?

13. Jewstin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using bell so I should be fine :p

14. Jewstin thread starter macrumors newbie

15. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Scam or maybe just a typo. The back of the phone as the # GB printed on it. You can also power it on and check the space. I would definitely look it over carefully before handing over all your cash.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Good catch. Saved yourself time, instead of meeting the person and finding out on the spot. Mines also ends with a "S" and it's a 16GB. You should let him know what you found, just to see what the next lie he will come with. lol

17. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Both events are independent of each other and they should not be compared based on relative data available.

Data has show the Sun has enough hydrogen for at least a million years but common perception has humans wary of shopping online especially with refurbished materials.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't believe the black of the iPhone 4 has the capacity listed on the back anymore. I wouldn't buy the phone if it is jailbroken, OP.