What are the main differences in Aperture and iphoto?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MacBook-Gal, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

What are the main differences in Aperture and iphoto? I have thousands and thousands of photos in my iphoto library. I have been wondering if Aperture would be a lot better for sorting and organizing that many photos or if there is some other application that would be even better for a massive collection like mine. I don't care about the editing features because I do that in photoshop. What I am looking for is something that I can easily organize that many photos with.

Also, does anyone know if there is anything that does the same thing as Windows picture and fax viewer for the Mac photos folder?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you don't care about non-destructive editing, you probably don't need Aperture.

With regards to the viewer does Preview not work?

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you don't care about editing don't bother with Aperture.

4. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

Preview works for viewing one at a time. Windows picture and fax viewer lets you scroll through the photos without having to open each one separately. That is the only feature that I really miss since I switched over to Mac from Windows.

5. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

If you got a new mac, iPhoto is already loaded. If you've got a really old mac, and you are unsure whether to get iLife for iPhoto, that's a good questions.

Thousands and thousands of photos is not a whole lot (lot's of folks around here have tens of thousands). I manage my 3000 photos in iPhoto with no issues.

The trouble you might have w/iPhoto if you are coming from the PC side is that iPhoto imports them into it's own database, and you are no longer managing the files directly in folders that you make. That is the single most confusing issue PC switchers have to deal with (I made the switch myself last summer, and it took me a while to adjust). Not managing your own folders directly might not appeal to you. Aperture wants to work the same way. Though Aperture is more flexible, I think it's really overkill for you, if you are only looking for a management piece.

If you have photoshop already what about Bridge?? It comes free when you buy photoshop elements 6. I am not sure if you have full Photoshop. Microsoft also makes expressions media for mac, but I think it's rubbish. Still, you can download a free trial from either microsoft or adobe. Bridge might be what you are looking for.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

iPhoto is the cheap solution to organize your photo's where aperture takes it a little father with some editing capabilities and makes you life easier with non-destructive editing. So if you actually want to edit RAW images then it's worth it but otherwise it's not.

7. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

iPhoto also edits non-destructively. iPhoto keeps the master, and then renders a jpg with the edits. So, each photo that you edit now has the original and the new version, with edits (same way Picasa worked on Windows). If you go back and add MORE edits, it re-renders a new jpg from the master, so you only get that one level of degradation in the jpg.

With Ap, Ap applies the edit "filters" (if I can use that term here) and shows you the image with the filters (or edits applied). But, if you want to bring out the picture from Aperture, you'll still have to render a new jpg (or tiff or whatever).

In what way is iPhoto any more destructive than Ap?

8. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

That is exactly what I find annoying about iphoto! I guess that I will just have to get used to it.

9. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Curious, what about Adobe Bridge isn't cutting it for you?

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

With regards to previewing pictures from the Finder, you always have Quick Look. Press the spacebar and use the arrow keys to slide through a group of photos.

Or go to the column view.

Or select them all and drag them onto Preview.

irmongoose

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

have you tried selecting all the pictures you want to look at and quicklooking them?

anyway if you think photoshop is the best editor for you then stick with it. Although I love that I don't need photoshop for my editing. I feel Aperture is enough for photo retouching and adjusting while photoshop is for graphics and montages.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can easily set iPhoto so that you can use your own folder structure. (Preferences -> Advanced -> Unselect "Copy files when added to Library" option) iPhoto just creates some thumbnails to help you organize and browse, but otherwise you can stay with your own folder based method.

13. Jeromie macrumors member

You can just drag a folder onto Preview or select all the images in the folder and select Open in Preview from the context (right click) menu and it will open up all the images in one Preview window (they'll be in a sidebar) and let you scroll through them.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

In the 3 months I've had my iMac, I've looked at just about every way to find the best way to view and organize a folder of photos--so I'd recommend this suggestion. It also allows for limited editing as well such as changing the size of the picture. I do a fair amount of work with photos for the web and preview is a pretty good tool for me to use for organizing pictures. Renaming was another issue until I found a program called Name Mangler to rename the pictures--a nice shareware product.

15. hector macrumors regular

I found this one of the most annoying things about switching to Mac around 3 years ago. It would be SO easy for preview to be able to scroll through a folder of photos! Having to select all the photos is ridiculous. No excuse for it not to have that capability in my opinion.
    Try downloading a program called Xee, it isn't as pretty as preview but it does scroll through a folder of photos. Free as well.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

:confused:

Just drop the folder on the Preview icon: it'll offer to open them in one window

17. hector macrumors regular

Doesn't work for me for some reason, if I want preview to scroll through a folder of photos I have to select them all and then drop them onto the icon or double click. Which complicated but fine if I want to start scrolling at the first photo, but what about if I want to start half way through?

There is no logical reason that I can see that explains why apple wont include this in preview. This has been standard (and very useful) on windows computers for as long as I can remember (win 95/98? ten years at least), and seeing as apple target their products at arty types who are perhaps more likely to be into photography than the average windows user, they should just sort it out!

Don't get me wrong, I love my mac, have had apple computers for the last 4/5 years and wouldn't ever buy a windows machine, but this is one of the few things that really bugs me. Mac illiterate friends have used it in the past and when trying to scroll through photos they go "how do I see the next one" and I haven't got an answer :rolleyes:

Anyway. Rant over, can't believe I wrote so much about that, but it has been a long day and it really drives me nuts :D

18. ChrisA macrumors G4

It's all to easy to simply recomend Aperture but I won't because it has a bit of a learning curve and is not as easy to use as iPhoto. iPhoto is a pretty good oganizer and is easy to use and come free with every mac. I would use iPhot unless you have already passed a certain threshold

How many photos do you have? A few thousand is not much for iPhoto. If you are past 20K or 40K yes that is getting large but hardly "massive" I'd save that for people who need terrabyte disk drives. It makes a different because I'd recommend iPhoto for most home users who have on the order of 10,000 photos or Aperture for peole who shoot a higher volume. (Aperture was designed for the person who might shoot 1,000 images on an asignment and need to sort and select those images on short deadline.) People with masive collections would be the stock photo agencies who have millions of images on file and need to access those images from multiple workstations. Aperture is not set up for multiple users.

The big question is if the photos are already catalogged by keyword. have you been useing Adobe Bridge? You have "sidecar" files? If so Aperture can handle this. If you have a smaller collection that is not catalologed you can start with iPhoto which comes with every Mac and then later it is rather painless to move an iPhoto library to Aperture.

So what do you have? Number of images? Are that cataloged and keyworded alrady? If so how.

I read that you like to browser your images with multiple images vieable at once. Both Aperture and iPhoto have that feature and it is very much costomizable.

If you are in the finder Leopard's "quicklook" works as you describe. You can see small version of the images without opening the files. You can adjust the size of the previwes too.

19. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I agree with ChrisA. I also find that to be happy w/iPhoto, you need to be open to a new way of doing things (if you just came from Windows).

Try these tutorials: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/

Also, check out the Apple discussion forum at discussion.apple.com -- they have some folks who are willing to help you with specific questions about iPhoto.

iPhoto is a nice little application, that is certainly under-documented, in that Apple doesn't provide enough information on how to get started. If you do decide to work w/iPhoto, make sure you explore folders and albums, and don't just stick w/events. I think Apple overplays the usefulness of events. The real organizational power is in folders and albums.

20. doctoree macrumors 6502

Apperture is a sophisticated tool for pro photographers giving you many advanced non-destructive, batch workflow-enabled editing tools for your pics.

21. termina3 macrumors 65816

Why did you revive this thread? It's long dead...

22. doctoree macrumors 6502

I'm sorry didn't notice that.

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

Aperture does allow for more complex organization then does iPhoto but yo have to understand that with a large collection one does NOT "organize". What you do is add meta-data tags to each image. You have to design a system of tags. Then after you have these you use search. Well search and "smart albums". Aperture allows you to build some comp-lex systems of projects and folders and smart albums but to make it work you need to tag each photo.

But you may find iPhoto works well enough if you were to make full use of it. Add the tags and make the smart albums and place these in folders

Actually if yu had Aperture you might find that you don't use Photoshop as much. For example all of the levels, color corection, crops and stuff like that can be done in Aperture. I only use Photoshop if I need brushes and selection and filters. Photoshop and iPhoto/Aperture work together well

24. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Agree about PS - the only thing I use it for is special effects and layer usage. Aperture is great by itself for colour correction and exposure.

25. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I would simply try Aperture out, you can get a free 30-day demo. But beware, it's a pro app with a high level of sophistication, don't expect to master it over night. In any case, you need to invest time into learning it.

Aperture helps tremendously to sort images and you can do many things you do in Photoshop now in a much quicker way. It's not intended to be a Photoshop replacement, it augments Photoshop.