Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyWmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
I meant to buy AppleCare a month ago and was away and forgot. I have very few hours on my February 1 2017 13” Pro Touchbar. I’ve used it for Netflix more than anything. I have other machines. Suddenly the T key goes and it is getting harder and harder to type on the entire keyboard. When the T key started acting up I called right away. ‘Sorry, 3 weeks out of warranty and you can’t add AppleCare.’ Grrrr!!! I forgot.

I’ve made 2 calls to AppleCare and I’m not sure they understand how serious I am about this issue. The computer is pristine. Like new. This is utterly unacceptable for a $2000 machine. I had a 2007 15” that still works perfectly. I’ve had 5 laptops from them and they are probably all still in service. Plus every iPhone. I have had repairs and replacements out of warranty and that’s why I keep spending thousands of dollars on these machines. Usually they endure massive hours of work every day. What’s up!!???

My question, how have they been handling this and what should I say? I’ll be very nice to a point. Unacceptable.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
This is a 2016 model purchased in Feb 2017?

I don't think they'll do much to be honest. There was another thread a while back where the person was a few weeks out of warranty and Apple took care of it so there is always a chance. Be polite and explain your situation to them. Explain you didn't have time before the warranty expired to make an appointment even thought the issues was already starting ect. If denied, ask for a supervisor or for the case to be escalated. If that fails you can try writing Tim Cook. He probably won't read or respond but someone from the executive team probably will.

Edit to add: Here is the link to the other thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/feeling-slighted.2106120/

Last edited:

Hand_Model

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
Fortunately, I purchased my 2016 MBP with a Chase credit card. Chase will reimburse up to $500 per repair for two years, my out of warranty keyboard repair is $478.

JohnnyWmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
First, thank you very much for the replies. And a few questions. TY

I now have a Visa Signature that doubles any warranty period. So thank you for that information. Now I’ll always use that card.

Right, it’s best to be as courteous and polite as possible. You get no where with vinegar, even though I am ticked off. I can’t believe there is not a recall. They fixed my 2007 MBP 5 years and 2 months from purchase with a new motherboard for free in 2012 because the graphics card was recalled ($750 repair). And they did it in under 24 hours. I told the store manager she won a customer for life. Since then I bought my 2014 15” and my late 2016 13”. Be nice. They deal with angry folks all day.

The store I use is a massive volume store. They tend to be very good with fixing or replacing things. I can escalate to supervisors as needed.

What should I ask for? What does this entail?

If I take it as far as I can and they will not do anything, what does a keyboard entail, an entire bottom at $800? Or much cheaper?

At that point why not buy refurbished from Apple and then put AppleCare on it if the repair a is a grand? Why put all that money into this one?

Last edited:

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
If I take it as far as I can and they will not do anything, what does a keyboard entail, an entire bottom at $800? Or much cheaper?
It would entail an entire top case replacement at ~$700. It's unfortunately an expensive repair, so yeah, it's definitely worth getting an extended credit card warranty or Apple Care for these models.

Since you're going to a large store, it's likely that they have already encountered several customers with keyboard problems, so I'd just politely explain the situation and escalate to a manager if necessary. Technically, you're out of warranty so the repair would be on you, but sometimes it's difficult for a customer to arrange an appointment at the store right away, so there's always a chance they'll listen (but don't get your hopes up too much). Good luck!

JohnnyWmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Ok great info. I’ll let you know what happens.

Technically out of warranty, yes. However, they are selling faulty products and they may find its on them. A letter to the local large newspaper would rectify the issue. I’m sure.

At least if they worked with me, I mean $478 isn’t absolutely terrible, but it’s a lot. Imagine a 1 year old $40,000 car, that needed a $10,000 repair, not covered by warranty.

Honestly, that computer really ticks me off at this point. I’d like to cut my losses be done with the thing now, because this is going to tick me off for forever. How do I know the second top case won’t go? I’m traveling and I need it. I rely on these things. I don’t have time for this absurd issue. Right now it’s my only computer. IPad Pro?

Plus suddenly it takes a week to get Genius appointment? I’ve always got in next day.

Ok good advice all around. Now I know what I’m dealing with.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
My B key is broken on my 2016, sometimes it types the b several times or sometimes skip it, but i just live with it until its time to upgrade computer in 2019 or maby even this year

Reactions: Koh Phi Phi

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A letter to the local large newspaper would rectify the issue.
I'm not sure that would work, I mean this isn't a new issue that people are unaware of. It's been reported/commented and what not, and we still see many examples of Apple charging for the repair.

Plus suddenly it takes a week to get Genius appointment? I’ve always got in next day.
You have that going for you, and if you're polite and not being annoying, causing a scene, the odds of getting it repaired for free increase

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
As regards the keyboards, they are a significant problem in my household across 2016/2017 and three machines (two 2016 MacBooks, 1 2017 MacBook Pro). I don't mind typing on them at all. When they work. Their durability is atrocious, however. And you can't easily repair a single key yourself (it voids warranty if you happen to have one, it can be like brain surgery if you don't have a warranty and want to try and avoid $750.00).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: old-wiz

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
It would entail an entire top case replacement at ~$700. It's unfortunately an expensive repair, so yeah, it's definitely worth getting an extended credit card warranty or Apple Care for these models.

Since you're going to a large store, it's likely that they have already encountered several customers with keyboard problems, so I'd just politely explain the situation and escalate to a manager if necessary. Technically, you're out of warranty so the repair would be on you, but sometimes it's difficult for a customer to arrange an appointment at the store right away, so there's always a chance they'll listen (but don't get your hopes up too much). Good luck!
4 ways to make an appointment or get support.

1. Through the Apple support app on an iOS device.
2. Stop by a store
3. Call Apple support.
4. Book an appointment from home through the Apple.com/support site.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Back on topic, I agree that Genius scheduling issues are a fair point for OP to bring up to reinforce his argument. He seems to have a positive history as a customer of his local store, so Apple might be inclined to give some leeway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: raqball and old-wiz

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"What are they doing about MBP Keyboard?? I’m 1 month out of warranty
I meant to buy AppleCare a month ago and was away and forgot."

As the old saying goes:
You snooze.... you lose.

Did you realize the MBP was having problems while you still had the opportunity to buy AppleCare?

It may be too late now.
You had better make an appointment at the nearest brick-n-mortar Apple Store AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and plead your case.
They may help, or they may not.

But again:
You snooze, you lose.
Why were you snoozin' ....?

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I've had a nTB since Dec 2016 and use it at least 9-10 hours per day (software dev, shows 866 battery cycles), even eating while working. Have had nearly every key on it become glitchy - repeating or non-responsive - or stuck completely.

I can bring it back to new condition by rubbing the keys vigorously with disposable cleaning wipes (seriously putting a good 20 pounds or so of pressure on the keys) for a couple minutes. The effect of pushing them into the keyframe as you rub with a good amount of force causes little bits of debris to surface around the perimeter of the keys.

I literally just did this to fix a non-responsive '2' key about 10 minutes ago.

Yes, it's annoying to have to do this, but on the whole, it does encourage one to key the laptop clean. So I typically do this once a week.

I don't doubt there are bad keyboards or ones with tolerances that are more susceptible to this issue that would benefit w/ a replacement. But I can say that I was approved by a Genius at the 3 month mark for a top case replacement and pushed it off as I didn't have the bandwidth to give up my machine for 5 days. Shortly after I came up with this solution out of sheer frustration.

Last edited:

JohnnyWmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
It did not show the issue before the warranty ran out or not that I noticed. But I did snooze and lose.

I was in friggin’ Cuba. I did not even have the laptop for a month.

I have an excellent history with this store and they’ve always helped. I have purchased a fair amount of stuff in there. That’s for sure. AppleCare supervisors have always been really good too.

I’ve called twice. Once was a little under a month from being out of warranty. Then I called a week later when the whole keyboard started acting up and had her document everything, and said this was a $2000 computer, and this is not acceptable.

They are nice in that store. They sell so many computers in there that I don’t think they mind fixing things for you. It’s an area where people demand excellence in customer service.

But it is a valid point that wait times to get in are not acceptable.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I've had a nTB since Dec 2016 and use it at least 9-10 hours per day (software dev, shows 866 battery cycles), even eating while working. Have had nearly every key on it become glitchy - repeating or non-responsive - or stuck completely.

I can bring it back to new condition by rubbing the keys vigorously with disposable cleaning wipes (seriously putting a good 20 pounds or so of pressure on the keys) for a couple minutes. The effect of pushing them into the keyframe as you rub with a good amount of force causes little bits of debris to surface around the perimeter of the keys.

I literally just did this to fix a non-responsive '2' key about 10 minutes ago.

Yes, it's annoying to have to do this, but on the whole, it does encourage one to key the laptop clean. So I typically do this once a week.

I don't doubt there are bad keyboards or ones with tolerances that are more susceptible to this issue that would benefit w/ a replacement. But I can say that I was approved by a Genius at the 3 month mark for a top case replacement and pushed it off as I didn't have the bandwidth to give up my machine for 5 days. Shortly after I came up with this solution out of sheer frustration.

I don't see this a long term solution. Any particles are going somewhere. What happens when there is not more space for them to go?

I would take them up on the top case replacement. It is going to also replace the battery which you have been pressing on for months.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I don't see this a long term solution. Any particles are going somewhere. What happens when there is not more space for them to go?

I would take them up on the top case replacement. It is going to also replace the battery which you have been pressing on for months.

They don't go anywhere, the point is I clean them out.

Unlike earlier chiclet models I don't think much actually gets under the keycap - the tolerances are too tight. Debris largely gets wedged around the keycap.

I can't stress this enough - it feels like new whenever I do this. I doubt a top case replacement will do anything for what is a design issue.

I can also assure you I did not damage the freakin' battery, lol.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
try to use compressed air as apple advices on their webpage (sorry to lazy to look up the link)

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Use chat support and have it escalated if they don't cover it. Be nice and explain your problem and how this is a defect. It sucks how Apple's product quality has decreased even though its price has increased so much. It is becoming the new FCA brand, and Apple will probably not own up to this mistake. I wish you the best of luck and be persistent if you keep visiting the apple store and using chat and phone support they might hopefully cave in and replace your machine. Reading the threads on this forum make me glad I didn't trade in my 2015 15" for such an unreliable and expensive laptop.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
"What are they doing about MBP Keyboard??"

We went into an Apple store recently and asked an salesperson this same question. I wanted any kind of reassurance so I could finally replace my 2012 with a 2017. Instead, the Apple guy denied any keyboard problems but we could tell he was avoiding the issue. I should have grabbed one of their demo models, went to this forum, and read out loud all the keyboard problems that appear daily from their customers.

So what is Apple doing about the keyboard problem? The answer is probably NOTHING. Given this post and many others like it, it looks like they're going to ride out the keyboard issues until everyone's warranty expires basically sweeping the issue under the rug like a typical shady corporation.

They need to take responsibility for an obvious design flaw due to their unwarranted obsession with thinness. They will continue to do nothing until a class action suit shows up or the media hits them hard with these keyboard issues like the iphone battery cover-up.

So is the Apple we're dealing with now? If so I'm really disappointed. I don't understand how they claim to be so philanthropic yet, they're going to stick valuable customers with huge repair bills - above and beyond the excessive cost of the laptop to begin with. That's a slap in the face for people who are loyal Apple users who spend their hard earned money on their premium products.

C'mon Apple, you're better than this.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It would entail an entire top case replacement at ~$700

I keep hearing $700, but Hand Model has an actual photo of a billing statement that's $478.

Suddenly the T key goes and it is getting harder and harder to type on the entire keyboard.

Have you tried any DIY fixes? I outlined a few here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-macbook-pro-mysterious-key-repeats.2108818/#post-25873605

I've had some intermittent issues with my keyboard, but I managed to fix them all myself. That isn't to suggest that yours would definitely be the same case, but some people who think they have broken keyboards likely have resolvable issues.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The butterfly mechanism keyboard failures on the rMB and MBP are pretty much legendary at this point. It’s been going on since the 2015 rMB was released, so Apple has had almost 3 years to fix it. If Apple is committed to this design for future laptops, I might be done buying MacBooks.

I can get by with a Mac Mini (if they ever update it) for my home office and an iPad for mobile, but for a lot of folks, that won’t work...which is unfortunate.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I keep hearing $700, but Hand Model has an actual photo of a billing statement that's $478.
You're right, several folks have recently reported different figures. I wonder if Apple decided to lower the price. I wish I could provide some evidence myself, but I got my top case swapped for free in Japan, and the statement they gave me there doesn't report any amount. It still doesn't come cheap, though.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
The butterfly mechanism keyboard failures on the rMB and MBP are pretty much legendary at this point. It’s been going on since the 2015 rMB was released, so Apple has had almost 3 years to fix it. If Apple is committed to this design for future laptops, I might be done buying MacBooks.

I can get by with a Mac Mini (if they ever update it) for my home office and an iPad for mobile, but for a lot of folks, that won’t work...which is unfortunate.
That’s why I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 2015 13 inch as the some keys on my RMB 2017 was starting to act up. This is scary.

Reactions: indognito
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.