Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why does he need to be objective to advocate that Apple is more open about supplying information to allow third parties to allow them to repair devices?
Well I question his integrity when he goes out of his way to set up a MBP to fail and then lambasts apple for such an inferior product. I think his video on the 2016 (or 2017) MBP with USB-c and one of his peripherals was something along those lines. When I say he's not objective, he's so subjective that we're not getting the full picture and that does a disservice to all who rely on his videos.
[doublepost=1530186485][/doublepost]
QC is more like the evil. not Thinness...
I think the design of the keyboard is the issue, if it was a QC issue owners would not being going through multiple repairs.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Well I question his integrity when he goes out of his way to set up a MBP to fail and then lambasts apple for such an inferior product. I think his video on the 2016 (or 2017) MBP with USB-c and one of his peripherals was something along those lines. When I say he's not objective, he's so subjective that we're not getting the full picture and that does a disservice to all who rely on his videos.
[doublepost=1530186485][/doublepost]
I think the design of the keyboard is the issue, if it was a QC issue owners would not being going through multiple repairs.
I have a work colleague who was having a lot of issues trying to get a monitor (think it was his monitor) hooked up over usb-c.

As for integrity, I for one think he highlights a lot of bad points about Apple and their practices. I used to be a big fan and advocate of Apple but not any more.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Making things more repairable doesn't have to add to the cost.
Take cars for instance, they are made to be repairable. Those that aren't get a bad name and mainstream people don't buy them. For instance, if you know a certain car needs a timing belt at X and that means a hefty repair bill, then that car doesn't sell well on the second hand market. Which in turn means people don't buy it when it is new.

For Apple, I have stopped buying products from them because they glue, solder and rivet their way to expensive replacements. Who wan't to buy a laptop today with only 16GB ram in it, only to upgrade a piece of software that renders your laptop obsolete?

Apple is the main player doing this kind of thing. My current Dell, which has its pro's and cons, still allows me to change the SSD to a larger one when I need it, add more ram when I need it and guess what, the guy who came to my house to replace the battery was out in 5 minutes. Not a chance of all that with Apple.

People never held on to computers for 10 years, its only in the last 3-5 years that I have started keeping computers longer. Why because the OS has reached a point where it is not progressing faster than the hardware.

Apple products are unrepairable. You want a keyboard replaced? $1000, you want usb socket replaced? $1000, you want the SSD replaced? $2000, start to see a pattern with Apple?

If Apple made TV's I wouldn't buy one because they would obsolete it in 5 years time.

Combustable engine vehicles and computers are entirely different things, you really can't compare them. An engine is a mechanical device, anything with a moving part will fail and so needs to be replaced/repaired at a certain frequency. A modern laptop, often has only the fans as moving parts, so far less prone to failure.

And now it's $1000 for a keyboard replacement? I hear all sorts of figures, ranging from $400-1500 for a keyboard. Have you had yours repaired and it cost you that much? Or are you just guessing based on similar minded disgruntled people? I only ask because I had mine replaced a few months back, and it was ~$350 on the invoice (USB ports were replaced too at a whole $15...). No that's not cheap I get it, but nowhere near the random sky high figures people spout. And considering that is for the entire top case, really not a bad deal.

If Dell works for you then great, they have a different business model and cater to a far wider audience than Apple. Apple are kind of very niche and are great for some people, pita for others. Same as Dell are great for some people, others would have less positive words for them. Something for everyone.

People did used to hold onto computers for a lot longer in the 80s, this reduced in the 90s and 00s, and is getting less and less really. Nothing wrong with it, if you want the latest and best then you need something new.

Anyway doesn't matter. All opinion and subjective, important to be objective otherwise you end up with circular discussions like this, see Rossman?

Reactions: HenryDJP

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Making things more repairable doesn't have to add to the cost.
Take cars for instance, they are made to be repairable.

Cars are getting less and less repairable every day. More things are electronic and repair is pull a module and replace it for $100-400 instead of the $0.30 resistor that died or cable that shorted. As they get more an computerized they are going the same way as computers in terms of decreased repairability and being sealed. Tesla, BMW and GM says they are even going to drop fuses in the near future and use power control modules. And you know replacing one of those is going to cost more than a $1 box of fuses. Even to troubleshoot many problems in cars these days you need the vendor proprietary bus harness and licensed diagnostic software.

I think this lack of repair-ability is something we are paying for thinner, lighter, and more powerful computer devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: macjunk(ie)

Queen6

macrumors G4
I think this lack of repair-ability is something we are paying for thinner, lighter, and more powerful computer devices.

Simple fact is if you want scalability & reparability Apple is not the provider to look at. Pretty much everything Apple produces is an appliance designed to be used and discarded, there's zero intention for the users to get their hands dirty with the innards.

Problem with Apple is it's lagging on specs and seriously overcharges for it's inhouse upgrades, using them a mechanism to royally scalp it's customers, which is totally unnecessary...

Q-6

Last edited:

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Cars are getting less and less repairable every day. More things are electronic and repair is pull a module and replace it for $100-400 instead of the $0.30 resistor that died or cable that shorted. As they get more an computerized they are going the same way as computers in terms of decreased repairability and being sealed. Tesla, BMW and GM says they are even going to drop fuses in the near future and use power control modules. And you know replacing one of those is going to cost more than a $1 box of fuses. Even to troubleshoot many problems in cars these days you need the vendor proprietary bus harness and licensed diagnostic software.

Yeah I notice this happening too. But coming back to computers, there are still a few manufacturers who allow for some upgrades despite being thin and light small laptops. The larger models in almost every company's portfolio is upgradable for sure. Whether those companies will also move eventually to what Apple is doing is anybody's guess.

Reactions: Queen6

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah I notice this happening too. But coming back to computers, there are still a few manufacturers who allow for some upgrades despite being thin and light small laptops. The larger models in almost every company's portfolio is upgradable for sure. Whether those companies will also move eventually to what Apple is doing is anybody's guess.

Some have gone well beyond Apple. My Microsoft Surface Book's tablet unit is the Field Replaceable Unit. There are no repairable parts in it. The repair is replace the unit. The repair for the screen reads "We don't repair devices. A cracked or physically damaged Surface device can't be repaired, we'll need to replace it. If you have not backed up your data, we won't be able to save it for you."

At least they have flat fee of $599 to replace the thing if you are out of warranty.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

Anyone I talk to want the ability to swap ram modules and have longer battery life, not thinned laptops.

Cars are not getting less repairable every day, the insurance costs keeps that in check. If a car gets too expensive to repair, then its insurance goes up and less people buy that car and the cycle goes on.
In a car, even if it has a control module, that can still be swapped out without having to buy a new engine like you do with Apple.
[doublepost=1530223498][/doublepost]
Combustable engine vehicles and computers are entirely different things, you really can't compare them. An engine is a mechanical device, anything with a moving part will fail and so needs to be replaced/repaired at a certain frequency. A modern laptop, often has only the fans as moving parts, so far less prone to failure.

And now it's $1000 for a keyboard replacement? I hear all sorts of figures, ranging from $400-1500 for a keyboard. Have you had yours repaired and it cost you that much? Or are you just guessing based on similar minded disgruntled people? I only ask because I had mine replaced a few months back, and it was ~$350 on the invoice (USB ports were replaced too at a whole $15...). No that's not cheap I get it, but nowhere near the random sky high figures people spout. And considering that is for the entire top case, really not a bad deal.

If Dell works for you then great, they have a different business model and cater to a far wider audience than Apple. Apple are kind of very niche and are great for some people, pita for others. Same as Dell are great for some people, others would have less positive words for them. Something for everyone.

People did used to hold onto computers for a lot longer in the 80s, this reduced in the 90s and 00s, and is getting less and less really. Nothing wrong with it, if you want the latest and best then you need something new.

Anyway doesn't matter. All opinion and subjective, important to be objective otherwise you end up with circular discussions like this, see Rossman?
Of course you can compare them.
A modern laptop has parts that fail, a car has parts that fail.
Both have parts that users would like to be easy to replace.
Just because Apple decides to glue in the battery, solder in the ram and ssd doesn't mean that we all have to like it.
You might be fine sucking it up, just don't expect the rest of us to like it.

Apple has a big army of fans who like to stick up for them come rain wind or shine and I am no longer one of them,

If Apple made cars, the engine would be welded in for structural integrity and you would happily defend apple for it.

And no people did not hang on to computers more in years gone by, the advancement of the OS put paid to that. Why do I know this, just looking at the frequency I/friends/business replace computers over the years.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Some have gone well beyond Apple. My Microsoft Surface Book's tablet unit is the Field Replaceable Unit. There are no repairable parts in it. The repair is replace the unit. The repair for the screen reads "We don't repair devices. A cracked or physically damaged Surface device can't be repaired, we'll need to replace it. If you have not backed up your data, we won't be able to save it for you."

At least they have flat fee of $599 to replace the thing if you are out of warranty.

Yeah. The good thing though is we don't really have to buy the SurfaceBook cause there are plenty of options. With Apple, your only choice when it comes to buying a portable is to buy hermetically sealed laptop that costs a bomb to repair. That is my issue with Apple. I couldn't care less if Apple provides the current gen of tb MBPs as long as they provide a version of the 2012-2015 styled MBP as well. Call it the retro edition :p

Just wishful thinking...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah. The good thing though is we don't really have to buy the SurfaceBook cause there are plenty of options. With Apple, your only choice when it comes to buying a portable is to buy hermetically sealed laptop that costs a bomb to repair. That is my issue with Apple. I couldn't care less if Apple provides the current gen of tb MBPs as long as they provide a version of the 2012-2015 styled MBP as well. Call it the retro edition :p

Just wishful thinking...

I would buy a retro edition with the latest processor and GPU, and USB A and C ports. It would be great!

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Anyone I talk to want the ability to swap ram modules and have longer battery life, not thinned laptops.

Cars are not getting less repairable every day, the insurance costs keeps that in check. If a car gets too expensive to repair, then its insurance goes up and less people buy that car and the cycle goes on.
In a car, even if it has a control module, that can still be swapped out without having to buy a new engine like you do with Apple.
[doublepost=1530223498][/doublepost]
Of course you can compare them.
A modern laptop has parts that fail, a car has parts that fail.
Both have parts that users would like to be easy to replace.
Just because Apple decides to glue in the battery, solder in the ram and ssd doesn't mean that we all have to like it.
You might be fine sucking it up, just don't expect the rest of us to like it.

Apple has a big army of fans who like to stick up for them come rain wind or shine and I am no longer one of them,

If Apple made cars, the engine would be welded in for structural integrity and you would happily defend apple for it.

And no people did not hang on to computers more in years gone by, the advancement of the OS put paid to that. Why do I know this, just looking at the frequency I/friends/business replace computers over the years.

You clearly don't understand how cars or computers work. You may as well compare a bicycle to a fighter jet if you think that both have parts that the user would like to replace...

Also at no point did I personally defend Apple, or 'suck it up', I merely explained the reasoning behind it as an objective bystander. But some people clearly want to express a certain point of view and anything that comes close to a difference results in being labeled an Apple Defender or something. I also did specifically say that it doesn't agree with everyone, it's for the masses.

Honestly it's like some people scan read something and just immediately object because they didn't read "Tim Cook is the worst!".

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

John Deere keeping farmers from repairing their own equipment using DRM and DMCA.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltec...iy-tractor-repair-runs-afoul-of-copyright-law

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.