What are you buying instead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uplift, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

For those of you that were holding out for the 15", what are you buying instead?

It's clear lots of 'pro' users are not happy with the new offering from Apple... i'm no exactly thrilled, but I do need to upgrade my machine, I was waiting for this so have one on pre-order that may or may not be cancelled.

I'm curious: Those of you ditching Apple, what are you buying instead?

I've done a lot of research with full intentions going elsewhere but struggled to find something that matched what Apple offers, and something would need to really wow me to get me to leave Apple's eco-system.

The closest laptop for me is the Surface Book, but at only 13.3" it's no good for someone who regularly uses Photoshop (and other apps that benefit from a decent sized screen).

I think a lot of people are forgetting that one of the great selling points of Apple hardware is macOS.

2. vcboard macrumors member

I'm browsing Amazon and adding them to my Hackintosh shopping list right at this moment

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

4. ForeverNewbie macrumors newbie

First post after reading for a while...

I think I may bite on the Dell XPS 13 9360. The only real flaw with that is the webcam placement... which isn't a huge deal. Specs wise, price, and you can probably negotiate a better deal through Dell Chat... might be worth the money to have the ports, HD Quality screen, Kaby Lake, very responsive touch pad... This laptop may be the way to go as of now.

5. leman macrumors 604

How is that an alternative to the 15" MBP? More like 13".

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

7. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

But they demand even more money than Apple. :eek:

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So far... but the trend seems promising.... :rolleyes:

9. Ries macrumors 68000

Not giving up on Apple yet, my 2011 Macbook Pro works just fine (pray it keeps to do so). I'm waiting on the "kaby lake" version. Hoping the OLED holds true (and 4K screen) and a price drop, 16GB ram is enough for me and would it kill them to add one single USB-A. They can keep the bar.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm interested in moving back up to a 15" now that they got the weight really down. Hanging onto 13" mid-2012s bought as refurbs not long ago for another cycle I guess.

Meanwhile not sure about "always on"... and how can they do away :eek: with the chime... LOL I'll have to make a clip of it for a comfort zone. I can see the touchbar being great for customizing to apps and I liked the Photoshop demo; she got that right for me in mentioning improved ease of use and being able to slide back through each step. The price won't bother me... by time I get the money together it'll be on the refurb shelf.

11. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Instead of the 2016 15"? I'm buying a 2016 13"
    M

12. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

Very nice, but isn't a suitable 15".

I looked at XPS, a few things bugged me but looks like a decent replacement considering you can save some money.

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Nothing. Staying with my 2015 15" with dGPU. I will revisit this decision in a year.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Replacing the battery of my 2012 Macbook Air.
    If I'm looking for a Windows replacement, I'll be eyeing the LG Gram. A 15" laptop that is lighter than the 13" Macbook Air (and full numeric keypad to boot!)

15. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

HP Envy x360 and Spectre x360 look worth checking out.

16. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

Very nice, shame about 8GB max

17. samcraig macrumors P6

18. Zackmd1, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I was holding out for the 13 inch model at around the $1500 price point.... For $1500 though I am getting a 15 watt processor with a base clock of 2Ghz and no touch bar and touch ID (the more important of the two for me).... So I will either be holding on to my 2015 12 inch MacBook and PC gaming desktop combo or looking into razer... The razer blade stealth and razer core are really tempting me as of late..... I still get a 15 watt processor but it is the new 7th gen processor and the laptop is a whole $500 cheaper then the base MacBook Pro. I also get to retain most of the portability of the new MacBook and retina MacBook. The stealth has about the same footprint and weight of the new MacBook 13" but at the thickness of the 12".

19. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

I bought a 2015 MBP 15". I need something a little better than my 2011, and I felt like the 2016 MBPs are just too expensive for what they are. I'm hoping the 2015 will hold me over for a couple of years minimum.

I seriously considered switching to a Dell, Razor or something else. I use Windows regularly and have no issues with it in general use...only downside is lack of ProRes support. I opted not to go with Razor, because their support gets terrible reviews, and Dell...well, I'd rather not. The 2015 will fit my needs while I wait and see what Apple is or isn't going to do next.

20. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I am actually relieved TBH as I wanted to upgrade my desktop this year but probably would have gone for the MBP refresh if it had really dazzled me. For now I feel like I won't have much of an upgrade over my current Pro so I will hang onto it for another 2-4 years.

Still don't know if I want to go to Windows on my desktop or not. I want to see what the iMac refresh looks like and if I am not happy I may just build a tower. Haven't done that in a few years.

21. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Happily waiting with my 2015 MBP with the included SD card slot.

22. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I'm still un-decided. Might see if my 2010 MBP will hold out another 9-12 months first. See what Apple do at the next refresh.

23. Rob_2811 Suspended

Just got a good deal on a brand new base model 2015 13 inch MBP. Got it for £1000 which is cheaper than any of the MBP models bought from Apple.

It will likely be last Mac Laptop unless Apple does a U turn on the terrible keyboards on future models

24. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Do you feel that the tech specs in the 13" will give you as much longevity and future proofing as those in the 15"? Also, what do you own now? I have a very old 15" duo core and I'm trying to decide between the 2016 13 " and the 15 ". I feel like you get a lot more for your money with the 15"

I also looked at the Razor computers but backed away after reading about build quality and customer service issues. It's a cool machine but the company doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support their products.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Nothing wrong with my early 2015 rMBP, so not buying anything at the moment.