Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
First I will look at it..

Slap it's fat little arse...

Hide the paperwork so the other half continues to believe I got the base model....

Redeem my 8 £25 iTunes vouchers and check out the App Store...

Install iFlix and transfer my movies into it...

Try and work out Steam as I have bought some games in prep....

Generally try to get to terms with Mac OS as I too am new to Mac.....

Maybe run geekbench to see where my spec sits in the grand scheme of things...

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
With any computer i buy i check for updates,setup the way i like,make a image of the harddrive.

-windows i use reflect (free version,and real fast)
-osx i use either carbon copy or superduper

just saves lots of time if i ever have to reinstall the os...

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Hope that there aren't any software licensing headaches to deal with after everything comes over from my Time Machine backup.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Hope that there aren't any software licensing headaches to deal with after everything comes over from my Time Machine backup.

Pretty much this for me too. I just want it up and running from my Time Machine backup as quickly as possible. Not gonna bother staring at the iMac as it looks just like the 2011 model from the front, anyway.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Going to give mine a good talking to before turning it on.
Along the lines of if it doesn't behave it's going to get a damn good thrashing!!

Then cover it with cling film along with the keyboard! (You can never be too safe!!:cool:)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
  1. Plug in the Ethernet (I recently just got a powerline :cool:)
  2. Set up all my settings
  3. Sign in to iCloud
  4. Set up my Mail and stuff
  5. Install Chrome and sign in
  6. Install Dropbox and symbolic link (So stuff that syncs, syncs)
  7. Uninstall iLife
  8. See how much space I've saved
  9. Install Minecraft and see how well it runs
  10. Install iStat Pro and look at the temperatures
  11. Install Premiere Pro, Ae, and Ps (Unfortunately I've got to call Adobe or something to remotely deactivate my old, broken iMac :mad:)
  12. Do some render tests
  13. Maybe download FCPX and see how well that goes...then uninstall it (It's crap, I wish I got a refund, oh well)
  14. Set up Time Machine
  15. Gaze at some Thunderbolt peripherals and contemplate getting one
  16. Install Uberstrike and see if max settings work (It's not much of a game, but I'm not a gamer lol)

Maybe not in that order, but something similar. I really, really want to get down to Premiere Pro and After Effects rendering!! I'm gonna reedit an entire project and see how much better the performance is from my old iMac.

----------

Hide the paperwork so the other half continues to believe I got the base model....

Haha! Lol!

Ekuk

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Carefully unbox
Physical inspection
Turn it on
Check the screen for dead pixels and colour tinges
Run aht
Run memtest
Install extra ram
Run memtest
Run black magic

If my £2438 purchase is a aok then i'll start up the migration assistant and start working

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Too late we share our apple I/d so she has seen the email!
I'll have to buy here something nice for Christmas with the £20 I have left in the bank!

We share an apple Id too so I filed the e-mail into a folder she would never look in.. You know like one entitled "washing up" lol

I will get away with it....

(That and I have to buy her a miu miu bag for Christmas.... )

6ftunder

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
Carefully unbox
Physical inspection
Turn it on
Check the screen for dead pixels and colour tinges
Run aht
Run memtest

Install extra ram
Run memtest
Run black magic

If my £2438 purchase is a aok then i'll start up the migration assistant and start working

what are those?

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
I will try to figure out how to plug in my my external hard drive from my pc without losing all my videos. :confused:

Last edited:

mjvlego

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
I'll do some test renders, maybe build something in Sculptris with a ridiculously high polygon count to see how it reacts. Fire up Diablo and see what all the graphics settings do that I haven't been able to use up till now.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Still trying to justify what I just paid!!

I wouldn't. If you consciously realize what you've done you will probably go into a catatonic state which will frighten everybody around you. You will be hospitalized and you'll suddenly start singing West Side Story songs. Do not put your loved ones through that :D

Trust me, I thought about it for a split second and I immediately saw this bright aura in front of me.....Must be brain damage.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

LOL! This is great. I have to hide the paperwork too. I told her it was just $1400 plus tax when she asked what it would cost. When I saw her reaction I decided to not mention anything else. I purposely did not mention the $225 for Fusion or the $120 for Apple Care (although she says Apple Care is a good idea). I went a hair over budget!

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't. If you consciously realize what you've done you will probably go into a catatonic state which will frighten everybody around you. You will be hospitalized and you'll suddenly start singing West Side Story songs. Do not put your loved ones through that :D

Trust me, I thought about it for a split second and I immediately saw this bright aura in front of me.....Must be brain damage.

haha I went over budget by 300 dollars so not to bad. I have been trying out the MBPr to see if I wanted to stay mobile or get a true desktop.

To be honest, I still can't answer that question. I ordered the iMac just in case though.

This laptop is fantastic. I also love Moutain Lion as well

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
When I see the Delivery van pull up outside my door I will probably start dancing up and down like a two year old that has just seen Santa pull up outside. :D

Once sedated, the first thing I will do when I switch it on is copy my X-Plane directory over from my external drive and go for a wee flight. So hoping for a big difference in performance from my present 2009 iMac :cool:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I will try to figure out how to plug in my my external hard drive from my pc without losing all my videos. :confused:

If you have it on MS-FAT (I think it's called) it will work fine, you shouldn't lose any data.

----------

haha I went over budget by 300 dollars so not to bad. I have been trying out the MBPr to see if I wanted to stay mobile or get a true desktop.

To be honest, I still can't answer that question. I ordered the iMac just in case though.

This laptop is fantastic. I also love Moutain Lion as well

What kind of job do you have to just say "Meh, I'm liking the rMBP, but I'll order an iMac and try it out as well just in case" :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.