Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
I've seen many threads about what your GETTING so here's one for the opposite.

I (Aged 16) am giving my:

Mom: A Gift Certificate For A Pedicure
Dad: Bo Schembechler Book
Girlfriend: A necklace(which I will put in a refrigerator box and wrap it.)
Girlfriend's Mom: Set of greeting card sort things with horses (she's a horse person).
Girlfriend's Dad: Linux Magazine
Brother: Coffee Mug Thing

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mum: dunno
Dad: dunno, but it can't involve model cars again since he's running out of room on his shelf.
Sister: dunno! Probably a Disney and a DVD.
Brother: no clue again.
Girlfriend: I suspect she frequents here so I'll just smile :)

Yea. I always leave it till the last minute.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Girlfriend: This and this

Anybody else: dunno, hopefully something cheap as I have no money left after the misses pressies.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Nice. I like Orla Keily. You are a man of great taste ...

great taste but no money :(

They have actually been on my shelf for about 2 months now, came in an orla keily jiffy bag which is actually pretty cool

Photo 17.jpg

don't get posh things like that at the sample sales in London.

The choccies are

Almond Cafe, Hazelnut truffle, nutmeg, creme brulee, salt, white praline, double chocolate (got my eye on this one) , butter praline, chili, earl grey, lemon sorbet, raspberry sorbet.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I just bought my wife a 24" iMac for Christmas

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm giving nothing for Xmas, except some solid time here on MR, cleaning up the tinsel and used gift wrapping, nor am I receiving anything either. No family drama, no cooking... like an extended Sunday where I just loaf about.

Simple, and just the way I like it. Birthdays are where it's at. ;)

Aug 6, 2007
Just stuff.

My Dad will be getting a 22" Display
My Mum will be getting a book
My Sisters will be getting DVDs
My Sisters' boyfriends will be getting...I'm not sure yet?

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to gifts.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Its a good job my Wife and Daughter are'nt on these forums....

Wife, GHD straightners, new coat, evening dress, Diesel perfume, earings, underwear, pamper set
Daughter, Macbook, Wireless digital camera, singstar for the ps2

all I would like in return is a nice cordless drill :)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Just stuff.

My Dad will be getting a 22" Display
My Mum will be getting a book
My Sisters will be getting DVDs
My Sisters' boyfriends will be getting...I'm not sure yet?

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to gifts.

Dad a Display- mom a book...who do you like better?:rolleyes:

For a minute I thought you were saying your sister's boyfriends!!! I thought- wow, and they all get gifts too!!!:eek:

Aug 6, 2007
Dad a Display- mom a book...who do you like better?:rolleyes:

For a minute I thought you were saying your sister's boyfriends!!! I thought- wow, and they all get gifts too!!!:eek:

Haha. The display is from all of us. I'm just pitching in.

And I would have no qualms buying gifts for my sister's boyfriends, if that was the path she chose!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Simple, and just the way I like it. Birthdays are where it's at. ;)

Actually, Christmas is supposed to be a birthday. :)

I'm getting my nephew one of those state quarter coin collector booklets with a roll of quarters to start. My wife wants lessons at the tennis club. toys for the kids. Ski pass for my brother in Denver, and a iPod nano for sister. Should be a wonderful christmas.

If you can't think of anything to give to someone who seems like they've got everything. Consider making a donation to Operation Smile in their name. Its a great organization.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
My mom - lots of little goodies she wont buy for herself but likes.
my aunt - lump of coal and generic car dthis year - yeah I am pissed off at her.
aunt fiancee - nothing. he is jewish.

My other - do not know yet- have few ideas but depending on how pissed off I get in the nex ttwo weeks

colleagues - local handmade chocolates in their fave flavours - they even have diabetic friendly ones.

myself - more books and eye surgery.

eric55lv

Aug 5, 2007
Las Vegas,NV
Mom:RBD cd and dvd (they are a Mexican band)
Dad:$20 Pizza Hut gift card
Sis:Zune Marketplace card (she wants a touch 16gb)
Friends:My Chemical Romance cd
Me:Newton Message Pad 2100 with charger,memory card for it,charger,stlys for it

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think it's cute the boys are buying these great gifts for their girlfriends and then the family is generally ass-out! Boy times have changed though looking back I can certainly say I've bought my fair share of boyfriend gifts that may have exceeded the monetary value of the parent's gifts.

Mom - These in pink a soap dispenser (it's more of a joke), and something else I'm sure. She usually gets Victoria's Secret PJ's, slippers, and then something less practical every year from me. It's just sort of turned out that way. Mother's Day and B-days is when she gets jewelry and computers.

Dad - $200 Bookstore gift card (because he always wants them) and my time to put his LPs onto the PC so he can then get them on CD.

Sister - two old cell phone batteries (another joke) and then I'm guessing something by way of clothing or gift cards for clothing. She's actually difficult to buy for but I'm still trying to think of something special because she's tried her best to be there for me this year because I've needed her more than ever.

Nephew #1 - So far my dad and him are the only ones I've really shopped for. The Office Season 3 DVD & Superbad DVD. Guitar Hero for XBox 360.

Nephew #2 - Cyclops RC car (I was not all that sober when I told him I'd buy it before I knew it was $100+ for something he will ultimately break, but that's the way kids are and that's cool with me. :)

Cousin + Wife - dunno

Aunt + Uncle - another "sorry you're married to a dick" card and then something corny but classy.

Grandma - My time sitting in front of her headstone telling her about my year.

There are about 10 others who I want to buy/do something for but some will be difficult to get something to, some forbid me from doing anything, some I cannot figure out, and others I've figured it out.

Me - A fancy frame for my MBA. :D

And the jokes...
The soap dispenser is because my mom insists on making us use this container of soap that you must turn upside down and squeeze, it's a pain in the ass so she's getting that. Sister, she has the worst cell phone battery in the history of cell phone batteries or at least she does every time her family is trying to get in touch with her. :) It's more of a joke really. She asked for wine and crack, I have the wine I'm not doing so well on getting her the crack.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Me - A fancy frame for my MBA. :D

Congrats ;)

I am getting my fiance an iPhone, I just figured out today that he got me 4GB of RAM for my new Macbook. Yes, its a match made in heaven! Nerds, ah...

What am I getting my parents? Well, they haven't paid a dime for my college yet, so technically I am getting them each about $7,000 cash :) At least thats what I tell them to get them off my back.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My wife and I are giving way too many people for me to remember everything that's been wrapped already. But here goes:

My parents, Her parents, My nieces and nephew, my sister and brother-in-law (BiL), my other BiL, my wife, co-worker ... did I miss anyone?

That would be 11 people and many gifts per person.

Wife: Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Bose Triport headphones (yuck but what she wanted), cozy women's snowflake socks, not finished buying (possibly Aerogarden for fresh herbs, DVD bookshelf to match current overflowing one, DirecTV receiver & TV in Master bedroom ... but which one?)

Mom S: can't remember (some sort of kitchen appliance she wanted, I think)
Dad S: Rear Window, North by Northwest, bottle of Wild Turkey
Mom O: don't recall as wife bought, Minnie Mouse stuffed animal (my wife's pregnant, inside joke)
Dad O: books on complete house plumbing and electrical (building his own house), 24" clamps, Mickey Mouse stuffed animal

BiL1: Littmann Stethoscope
Sister & BiL: yearly Christmas ornament
Niece 1: paint kit & toolbox and large paper
Niece 2: don't remember
Nephew: remote controlled Tonka front end loader
Co-worker: Futurama: Bender's Big Score
Toys for tots sort of church thing: Baby doll, stroller, clothes and our prayers for her well being

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Gift cards all around! They're so much easier to transport in the luggage. :D

Okay, so not just that. My mom is also getting a couple of salwar kameezes from India, one of my siblings and her family are getting some candy from the Swiss Colony, the kid is getting oodles of toys--they will probably be split up between the holidays and her b-day a few months later.

The rest of the family? Well, I'm still working on that.... :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Simple, and just the way I like it.
Hopefully you're doing something. I remember one year where I couldn't travel home for the Holidays because of work and I didn't like it. Visiting with friends and family can be gift enough sometimes though.

Gift cards all around!
Ditto. Usually I try to be thoughtful all the way around, but this year I have more money than time, so everyone is money and gift cards rather than something more thoughtful. No one will say it, but I think they prefer it that way, especially the younger ones.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
No one will say it, but I think they prefer it that way, especially the younger ones.

True dat. Aside from the kid, who could care less about Christmas at this age (less than a year), all the rest of the family are at the stage where, unless there is something really specific they're looking for that they haven't gotten for themselves yet, gift cards are just the way to go. They don't have to come up with ideas for everyone, and they can make sure they really get what they want. We generally know where each of us likes to shop so even though it's not the most meaningful, it's still useful. They give gift cards, too, so it's not like I'm copping out. It's just the way we've come to do things. :shrug: The only ones we usually try to come up with things for other than the cards are the parents. I dunno. Giving them just gift cards feels different. It doesn't seem like enough after all the things they've done/given over the years. Not to say that I feel like the rest of the family are any less deserving.... It's just a different feeling for some reason.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Let's see, we're on the severely tight student budget right now...and there is a huge candy factory just down the street...

Look's like everybody on my list is getting something from the Ferrara Pan Candy Company's factory store! Gotta love factory prices!

BiL1: Littmann Stethoscope

Ohh, which stethoscope are you getting? I recommend the Cardiology III (it is best value for its versitility). I would stay away from the single tube stethoscopes if he's doing anything more than taking blood pressures. If he is really into auscultation (i.e. going into cardiology) then I would suggest a shorter (22 inch) tube vs. a longer tube (27 inch) which is more comfortable for general or surgical use.

The only reason I offer this advice is because I got a stethoscope as a graduation present but had to go buy another because it wasn't a good enough quality for really investigating heart sounds.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.