Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Fourth Time Around by Bob Dylan. The story behind this song is quite interesting actually.

If you compare the overall melody of this song to Norwegian Wood by The Beatles, it is very similar. Lennon himself half-thought that this song was Dylan "tributing" his own song, but he also thought that Dylan was warning him not to use guitar riffs which he had showed Lennon originally. The origin of this idea was spelled out in the last line of the song which states "I never asked for your crutch Now dont ask for mine." Turns out in late 1964, early 1965 Dylan had played this for Lennon in some hotel (what I would give to hear that recording) and Lennon later "borrowed and modified it" for Norwegian Wood.

Whatever the case, both are amazing songs, some of the best in their respective careers in my opinion. Dare I say, I like electric ('65-'66) Dylan a tiny bit more than his earlier ('63-'64) acoustic protest songs. That being said, my all time favorite Dylan song (nearly impossible to pick) still remains Boots of Spanish Leather off his famous The Times They Are a-Changin' .

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A Brazilian group from the 1960s which combined easy rhythms, a sort of fusion of 'Psychedelia', a touch of folk, along with Brazilian jazz, mambo & other styles )a slight soupçon of 'spaghetti western' style music also comes to mind), and radical political themes in a deceptively relaxed music. Lovely stuff.

The group were called "Os Mutantes", ("the Mutants") and some of the songs I am listening to include: "Ave Lucifer", "Ave Genghis Khan" (well, I did say that they were rather political), "El Justiciero", "Panis Et Circenses", (which translates as 'bread and circuses') "Fuga No II", and "Ando Meio Desligado", among others

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Absolutely love Polyrock, if only there would be a reasonable chance to get their album!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Enjoying this one today...

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 170

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have posted elsewhere - in the movie thread - that one of my guilty secrets is a real liking for 'Spaghetti Westerns'.

I love them, and thrill to them. I love - really love - the harsh lighting, caused by a genuine sun, in an arid landscape (and long disliked the studio lighting in many movies which were considered more 'classic' westerns); the baroque almost operatic violence; the murky morality, unencumbered by any semblance of sentimentality disguised as morality; above all, I love the music written by composers such as Ennio Morricone, and Marcello Giombini, which is such a fitting sound to accompany such movies.

So, now, a few by Ennio Morricone: "A Fistful of Dollars", "For A Few Dollars More", "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly", "The Man With The Harmonica", "A Fistful Of Dynamite", "Once Upon A Time In The West", "Come Maddelena", and the wonderful "Sixty Seconds To What"…….among others…..

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I have posted elsewhere - in the movie thread - that one of my guilty secrets is a real liking for 'Spaghetti Westerns'.

I love them, and thrill to them. I love - really love - the harsh lighting, caused by a genuine sun, in an arid landscape (and long disliked the studio lighting in many movies which were considered more 'classic' westerns); the baroque almost operatic violence; the murky morality, unencumbered by any semblance of sentimentality disguised as morality; above all, I love the music written by composers such as Ennio Morricone, and Marcello Giombini, which is such a fitting sound to accompany such movies.

So, now, a few by Ennio Morricone: "A Fistful of Dollars", "For A Few Dollars More", "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly", "The Man With The Harmonica", "A Fistful Of Dynamite", "Once Upon A Time In The West", "Come Maddelena", and the wonderful "Sixty Seconds To What"…….among others…..

You might enjoy this album produced by Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi. It was inspired by spaghetti westerns, and they even gather vintage instruments and recording equipment as well as old performers to create the album.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 68

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You might enjoy this album produced by Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi. It was inspired by spaghetti westerns, and they even gather vintage instruments and recording equipment as well as old performers to create the album.

And again, thank you. Naturally, I had to Google this album; and, having read the reviews (yes, I am a big believer in sampling reviews), I have now ordered it, as I am also a big believer in buying CDs……

Unfortunately, I won't get to hear it for some weeks yet, but it is one more treat to anticipate with pleasure when I do return home on leave. Anyway, once again, many thanks - I look forward to listening to it in due course.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
And again, thank you. Naturally, I had to Google this album; and, having read the reviews (yes, I am a big believer in sampling reviews), I have now ordered it, as I am also a big believer in buying CDs……

Unfortunately, I won't get to hear it for some weeks yet, but it is one more treat to anticipate with pleasure when I do return home on leave. Anyway, once again, many thanks - I look forward to listening to it in due course.

Always happy to help, I hope you enjoy it!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight, I am in the mood to listen to a few smooth, soothing, easy, classy, sassy, yet timeless numbers from The Delfonics, which include the following: "The Delfonics Theme", "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)?", "Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)", "Somebody Loves You", and "Hey! Love", among others…..

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Charles Aznavour. Un immortel encore bien vivant de la chanson française.
Charles Aznavour. A staple of French music.

Hier encore - Charles Aznavour & Elton John

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A few from one of my favourite groups, namely, Pink Martini, an accomplished, classy, stylish group from Portland, Oregon. I was fortunate enough to be able to see them play live, a few years ago, on one of their European tours.

Anyway, I am listening to: "U Plavu Zoru", "Una Notte A Napoli", "Song Of The Black Lizard", "City Of Night", "Sympathique", and "Dosvedanya Mio Bombino".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Partly as a result of a discussion on another thread, I am reminded to listen to an old favourite. Thus, the album is "The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace", the composer is Karl Jenkins, and the piece of music itself is the spine-tingling "Sanctus".

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I'm listening to Enya's Watermark album. I got it for 50¢ at a garage sale. It's been one of my favorite relaxing albums for a few years now. Before or after a stressful day, I put it into my car's cd player, and I almost immediately feel at ease. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.