Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In memory of Bobby Womack, whose death, aged 70, was announced today.

So, I am currently listening to Bobby Womack with the song, "Across 110th Street". This song - an old blaxploitation number penned by Bobby Womack in the 1970s, was resurrected and - somewhat differently scored - was used as the brilliant opening and closing credits to Quentin Tarantino's movie 'Jackie Brown', a movie I love.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And one or two more lovely numbers from the soundtrack of the movie Jackie Brown: "Strawberry Letter 23" by The Brothers Johnson; "Natural High", by Bloodstone; "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)" by The Delfonics; and "Monte Carlo Nights", by Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A song from the French singer/songwriter/composer Yann Tiersen, - whose music I like a lot, and whom I have had the good fortune to have seen performing live.

This song comes from an album called 'L'absente', which was released before 'Amalié' made him much better known.

The song is called "Bagatelle".

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
In memory of Bobby Womack, whose death, aged 70, was announced today.

So, I am currently listening to Bobby Womack with the song, "Across 110th Street". This song - an old blaxploitation number penned by Bobby Womack in the 1970s, was resurrected and - somewhat differently scored - was used as the brilliant opening and closing credits to Quentin Tarantino's movie 'Jackie Brown', a movie I love.

That is a terrific movie. Its a shame that it's not as famous as his others...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is a terrific movie. Its a shame that it's not as famous as his others...

Agree completely. It is my favourite movie of his, by far……

It is rare to have a black lead, rarer a black female lead…..and to offer us a movie where the lead is black, female, middle-aged, wow.……

As the eponymous Jackie Brown, Pam Grier was brilliant. Samuel L. Jackson was his usual excellent self, as were Bridget Fonda and Robert de Niro. Classy actors, and an excellent script.

I liked Michael Keaton, too, but I simply loved Robert Forster, who played Max Cherry, the bail bondsman. It is rare and lovely to see a relationship between two middle aged individuals depicted so beautifully. And again, a wonderful ending…….bitter-sweet…..but brilliant. Love that movie.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
"Little One" by Jimi Hendrix

This is more of a jam session featuring Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones (from the Rolling Stones) and 2 other musicians from the 60s. Brian Jones was looking to leave the Rolling Stones and form a band with Hendrix in 1969. Unfortunately, as it is well documented, both ended up dying of drug related issues. This song is cool because it gives you a sense of what could have been.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A few from 'AfroCubism', one of those wonderful groups that have flourished under the umbrella of The Buena Vista Social Club family.

The name of the album is 'AfroCubismo', that of the group 'AfroCubism' and the songs I have been listening to, in the following order, are:"Karamo", "La Culedra", "A La Luna Yo Me Voy", and the lovely "Benséma".

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Earlier today while driving home and listening to the channel Siriusly Sinatra on SiriusXM, I was pleasantly listening to If I Didn't Care by the Ink Spots.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
A few from 'AfroCubism', one of those wonderful groups that have flourished under the umbrella of The Buena Vista Social Club family.

The name of the album is 'AfroCubismo', that of the group 'AfroCubism' and the songs I have been listening to, in the following order, are:"Karamo", "La Culedra", "A La Luna Yo Me Voy", and the lovely "Benséma".

Thank you for reminding me of AfroCubism. I'd heard them a while ago and forgot their name. Love it!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am listening to him also. Hamburger Hill Suite I & II

Thank you for reminding me of AfroCubism. I'd heard them a while ago and forgot their name. Love it!

Ah, wonderful; delighted that you both like some of the music that I like.

Now, I am listening to something similar, but with musical roots that inch even closer to their shared African ancestry. The album is called "Mali"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.