What are you listening to? Part III

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Abbey Road - courtesy of a Liverpool group known to music, history and the world as The Beatles.

2. LizKat, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Too cold to work outside on gardening today, so I've been having fun sampling assorted versions of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (complete) available online, including Jeanne Pierre Ponnelle's filmed dramatization of it. The video was was made in 1975 with the full cooperation of the composer, for a celebration of Orff's 80th birthday. Its exhibition was banned in at least Germany for quite awhile after its production. You will not want to watch this one at work. The texts of the original Carmina Burana are after all mostly a bawdy satire of what was said to be going on at medieval monasteries besides prayer and the illumination of sacred scripture... and this video is a dramatization, not a recital of the music.

Familiarity in advance with the texts of Carmina Burana helps to fully appreciate the Ponnelle video, even if it's fairly clear what's going on in most of it. Anyway it makes even the most lascivious-sounding solos of all the Carmina Burana concert performances seem staid in comparison. I thought the roasted cygnet portrayal was fairly scandalous but on a re-watch I'd probably save my shockability for later on.

Among my favorite full concert performances of Carmina Burana available over the internet on video is this one, uploaded from a VHS to DVD transfer of the 1994 BBC Proms performance. There are some audio pops and the video was reduced somewhat for the upload but it's quite wonderful to have this available. Also there are some English subtitles if just immersing oneself in the music is not enough...

Here's another excellent video of a live performance, this done in Antwerp in 2011

3. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

A piece of music I love; great choice and a brilliant idea to offer (and share with us) differing interpretations of this piece.

4. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Wow!

I love the music.

I'll seek this one out on iTunes!

The film looks good too!

5. Scepticalscribe, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

When I was a kid, Old Spice had an amazing ad (someone surfing) to the opening track in Carmina Burana - not that I knew what it was called at the time, but thought it spell binding music.

Likewise, the movie Excalibur used this very piece of music to terrific effect.

Then, in university, a male friend brought a homemade - that is, put together by himself - cassette tape recording of Carmina Burana (remember when you carefully - and thoughtfully, calculating time and choosing and selecting individual pieces of music to make a tasteful whole - put together cassette tapes for your friends?) - his father had the LP - as his gift when I had invited him to dinner. That was the first time I had the actual music myself, although I have since purchased it as a CD.

But, yes, I absolutely love it and must unearth it and make certain that it is in my computer's iTunes, and thence to my mp3 player.

6. Northern Man macrumors regular

Northern Man

Bjork - "Vespertine"

An acquired taste perhaps but sometimes she hits the right nerve.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2019 ---
    Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks - "Original Recordings"

Dan left us in 2016 at 74 but his work lives on.

7. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Andy James "The Watcher" - some nice guitar on the heavy side . . .

8. hawkeye_a, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
    Spent an entire year in high school listening to the Stones. Haven't listened to them much lately, but anytime I hear that guitar, it puts a smile on my face. :cool:

PS>>Props to the Ford vs Ferrari trailer

9. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Downloading from iTunes now... :)

10. mikzn, Jun 4, 2019

mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

love this track - i remember the movie - but missed this awesome track ! - thanks for sharing this!

Another great OST - is Gladiator Soundtrack - Now We Are Free (Hans Zimmer, Lisa Gerrard)

Edit Later - forgot about the french horn - am guessing your refered to the Halo "Atonement" - I love those kind of "Breaks" - mood changes- Scale Changes

maybe we need a top 10 french horns post? lol

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

12. mikzn, Jun 4, 2019

mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Muse - Madness - Live At Rome Olympic Stadium
    WOW !

13. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Hah. We could probably come up with lists of some impressive pieces, but every horn player has his own personal list of killer tunes... and I mean the ones that nearly killed him in live performance.

The French horn makes daunting demands on the player's lips and is otherwise an instrument with treacherous leanings, having rather quirky ways for a player to extend range and alter tone. Only the human voice and maybe the oboe are true competitors on that score...

That may be why American orchestras with a regular four-player horn section more commonly have six players on board. The extras are an associate principal, to divide solo duties with the principal in certain concert playbills, and an assistant principal who may regularly step in to relieve the first horn at known points during performance of a given work, but who must also be able to pick up a horn solo instantly for either the principal or the associate playing first horn in a piece if that player loses functionality. In Europe, orchestras tend instead to have doubled French horn sections, sometimes with an assistant principal, and they divide horn duties across an evening so that neither group has to play straight through the bill. That means also that unlike American orchestras, they don't have to hire additional horn players from outside when performing certain well known works scored for 5 to 8 horns.

I remain quite partial to some horn recordings I heard when I was a child, an album done by British horn player Dennis Brain. Those now legendary recordings of the Mozart horn concertos with von Karajan conducting became a benchmark that still stands for the current generations.

14. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Muse - Sunburn
    I remember first hearing this tune in one of the original iTunes ads. RIP iTunes

From way back when....

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I went hunting in my iTunes and mp3 player, and found only the title track (the first piece) in Carmina Burana (which I listened to, yesterday).

However, I do recall purchasing a CD in the past two years of this sublime piece. Cue serious search this morning, followed by success.

I have found the CD, - along wth some other relatively new CDs - and shall import it to iTunes, and thence, my mp3 player.

16. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I could play some of those tracks over and over. The all too brief and serene In Trutina (a soprano solo) runs barely a minute. She's weighing the balance of lust and chastity and there's been a long-running conversation since the premiere of the work as to the ambiguously referenced "yoke" she chooses: that of the nunnery or that of marriage? I'm not sure what's to converse about since in the flow of the tracks, it's pretty clear what she ends up doing by time one gets to the Dulcissime track, no matter how serene that soprano solo also sounds. Both solos are pretty challenging but Orff certainly went no easier on the work he laid out for the tenor in Carmina Burana, e.g. in the extreme ranges in the Dies, nox et omnia.

I think when iTunes came along, it certainly made choiceful music listening a joy with respect to obsessions over short tracks or parts of tracks. When the app first came over the horizon, I ripped my CD of Carmina Burana as one of my early experiments. When I realized I could toggle that little repeat-playback icon to "repeat one" and not just repeat a whole album or playlist, and that I could also edit the start and stop times of a track if I wanted to do so... and that on "repeat one" it would play the same (edited or not) track forever, I figured it was finally true that at least in the world of amateur music study "we've come a long way, baby." And yes, I promptly listened to that In Trutina track about 10 times in a row...

Today I dusted off my rack system to make sure the mice have left the house for the season... the warning bell was a six-minute (or so) offering from Canadian indie band The Besnard Lakes titled Deep Desultory Dream. It's from the wayback of their first album, naturally enough named "Volume 1" -- initially released in 2003 and then re-released in 2007. Ran that up to a 7, figuring a 9 might break something valuable. :D

17. Northern Man macrumors regular

Northern Man

Lou Reed - "Perfect Day"

What a great loving feeling conveyed in a simple manner. I believe Lou wrote this about a day he spent early in his relationship with Laurie Anderson.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Thanks for the reminder. I like this version from a few years back.

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

A fantastic song, actually, a haunting song.

20. LizKat, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Today is Martha Argerich's birthday!

Here is a video of her live performance of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G, performed on 5 October 2017, Orchestre National de France with Emmanuel Krivine conducting. She was 76 then... and would seem to deserve the notice she's often given as the world's greatest living pianist. Thrice married, thrice blessed with daughters, thrice divorced... thrice having survived bouts of cancer, she plays on!

Don't mind the video's 30-second preview of the performance itself as the producer presents some credits. That cuts to the entrance of the performer and conductor. Timing marks for the movements:

1.Allegramente - 1:11
    2.Adagio assai - 9:30
    3.Presto - 18:46​

21. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The soundtrack to the movie(s) The Godfather I & II, by Nino Rota.

22. Mefisto macrumors 65816

Mefisto

This evening I've been listening to First Aid Kit while sitting on the balcony and unwinding my brain. They're a Swedish folk-duo I once stumbled upon when they were playing some festival some years back, I can't even remember which festival it was, but what I do remember is that of all the bands I got to see there, First Aid Kit was the best one. Great music to be enjoyed with some whisky and a nice cigar.

23. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Kiss re-enrgized the argent song - I love both versions!

Had the vinyl "Quadraphonic" version of the Argent album at one time - lol
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    Tommy Bolin - "Dreamer" - covered by Myles Kennedy and Nels Cline :)