What are you sleeping on?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Merkava_4, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

My 20 year old Sterns & Foster mattress set is about shot. By the way my back feels in the morning, I'm thinking I might need to bite the bullet and buy a new set. If you people could recommend me a good sleeping apparatus, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. :eek:

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is it just your box spring, or your mattress too.

Some people just need to firm-up the base, with a sheet of plywood between the mattress and the box spring.

3. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

5 nights of the week I sleep on whatever mattress comes in a Freightliner.

The other two nights I sleep on a house brand set I got from Denver Mattress a couple years ago for about $1000. I sleep great on it and everyone else who has slept on it mentioned how comfy it was. I don't know the model name/number, but I like it.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Queen size tempurpedic mattress and tempurpedic pillow. I love it.

6. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for everyone's help thus far. I've been reading a lot of the reviews on Epinions, but it hasn't been that helpful because there's no common consensus on any of the mattresses; they pretty much all have bad reviews. Have any of you peeps ever tried a softside waterbed?

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Perhaps a little old fashioned, but the "Rack" came highly recommended for those with back problems.
    KGB:rolleyes:

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Here's the thing. OF COURSE they all have bad reviews. Different mattresses are for different people. One person's dream mattress is the mattress from hell for another person. The only way to find out for yourself is to go to a mattress store and try them for yourself. And most people who post reviews online usually do so to complain because they are angry and emotion, the people who loved it will likely be asleep and not posting reviews online.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The BEST beds I have ever slept on is on of these hideously expensive things:
    http://www.ahbeard.com/product/flexgel

I just sleep on a second hand queen bed. Go to a good second hand warehouse, theres a lot of good beds second hand. You just usually need to air them out first.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

This tempurpedic and I freaking love it one of the best investment I made haha

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:eek: And have a black-light handy.

Try the Sally Ann.

They get end-of-line donations from factories, brand new.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Sealy Sweet Sleeper bed made for Sheraton Hotels.

13. dafunktyfunk macrumors newbie

we use a comfortaire bed. it is like a sleep number style bed and i really love it!

you may want to look at those...

14. maril1111, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Currently, a hypoallergenic latex mattress, I used to adore pocket sprung more traditional mattresses though. Whatever you do just avoid anything cage sprung, they're so damned uncomfortable.

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1. Best sleep I've ever had. I can't imagine going back to a spring mattress. I do think that the bed was too costly though. Why is the sheet of foam so expensive? Just because people will buy it?

----------

I really can't imagine there is much of a market for a second hand bed. How would you disinfect/dissperm them?

17. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I am currently staying with my grandparents for a few months and my grandpa has a hospital bed :D its amazing lol

18. jal97jal macrumors member

jal97jal

I do too

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Me too. Absolutely the best mattress and pillow I've ever had.

That said, they are expensive. There are knock-offs that are cheaper, but I don't know how they compare to Tempur Pedic. Also, Tempur Pedic gives a 20 year warrantee - 100% replacement for the first 10 years, pro-rated for the second 10 years.

If you consider it, they give a 90 day trial period. For some people it takes a week or so to get used to the incredible full-body support. I loved it the first night. :D

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have been debating on either the Tempurpedic or Sleep Number bed. I have seen mixed reviews on both. I do have one friend who bought the Sealy version of the Tempur pedic and loves his. His only gripe is that it gets a lot warmer than normal mattresses.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Nothing wrong with a secondhand bed, as long as he's referring to the bed frame. As for a secondhand mattress, I'd rather crawl over broken glass with my fly unzipped. I'd rather play Russian roulette, it's quicker.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ooh, that's handy. Just wheel him in when he's sick. Next up, a coffin at home?? ;)

I sleep on a futon because I used to love it 10 years ago. Now I hate it and want to sleep on latex or memory foam. Not really too sure what's best, but I lay on a memory foam mattress and pillow before and thought about taking it. Just soooo comfortable.

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It sounded like he was talking about the mattress to me.

24. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well people, I went mattress shopping tonight. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up with a firm conventional mattress set with springs inside. I tried the Tempurpedic and the iComfort latex mattresses; they both feel very similar; they feel like you're sinking down into a giant whiplash neck brace. :D