What are your charging methods?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyyitssusan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

There are so many different myths and rumors out there on what the best way to charge your phone is. Some say let it drain to 20% and charge, and some say just charge it at 30-40%, then at 20% once a month. So, what do you guys do?

2. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

I plug mine in when the battery gets low (20% or less), but who cares because it's just a phone and I get a new one every 2 years :D

3. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I don't have a method. I charge it when i can: at home in a dock, in the car.
    I don't really care about damaging the battery, it's more important to have it charged all the time, i don't want to leave the house with 30% battery.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I plug mine in when it needs it. I don't know if that's a method or not but it suits me :p

5. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Charging cable on nightstand. I plug in when I go to bed...

I rarely have to charge other than that unless vacationing and burning it up the usage time heavily; maps/camera/sharing.

6. PPSH-41 macrumors newbie

+1

7. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

My cycle these days is this: charge overnight, charge again around 1-2 pm after using for like 5 hours in the morning (starting at 7 am) and then plug in again before bed to let it charge overnight.

My 5's battery isn't all that great anymore, especially since it's a year old and running iOS 7

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I charge it before I go to sleep but I make sure I it dies once a month because apple says to.

9. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Charge when I need to really, but I can easily charge it for a couple of hours before I finish work at 4:30 and typically not need to charge till following night or even the morning after that!

10. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

all day while i'm at work and on days off I do whatever i can to not let it die!

I will rush to find a way to charge it when battery gets into single digits

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I plug in whenever I'm near a cable. Never had an issue before with this method

12. Ezra923 macrumors regular

I charge it over night and when im at work everyday i keep it plugged in all day. My iphone 5 battery has suffered a lot because it drains quickly and manytimes it dies at 20%. I understand my charging habits are no good but i keep my iphone docked on an apple store bought radio. Is it my fault that it charges while its docked? I mean i cant listen to music for 6 hours while im at my office?
    Thankfully I have my mophie case.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I plug it in and charge it when it needs it. Otherwise it's in my pocket.

14. missygal Guest

missygal

15. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

When it's in the car it's plugged in, and randomly at night. Oh yeah when I'm at work…software development.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I usually only charge mine when it gets below 20%.

17. iAlphard macrumors regular

18. RebornProphet Suspended

I charge overnight then give it a top up around 3pm until 5 when I leave the office.

19. cynics macrumors G4

20. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I charge my iPhone every night. Theres the odd time that I'd plug it in for an hour or so during the day to give it more life.

21. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Where does Apple say this?

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Completely random other than when it gets to 15% or so. Could be in the afternoon, evening or before I go to sleep.

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I just carry my chargers with me and don't think about it.

It's only when I go out for a long trip or class, I charge my phone for a few hours that morning while I'm getting ready.

24. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Apple says to calibrate your battery on your mac devices from time to time for best performances https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

But I am not sure about the iPhone, but it is probably the same.

Regarding charging methods... this is all irrelevant because we have lithium ion battery which can be charged whenever and however low our battery is.

I just charge it every night before going to bed...

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I plug mine in every night regardless of how much charge it has because I like to start the day with a full charge. Occasionally I charge it during the day if need be. I haven't noticed any adverse battery affects from doing this and my phone is currently a year old.