What are your favorite Sega Genesis games?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by alexreich, Feb 4, 2012.

1. alexreich, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Hi all,

After going through my old boxes of stuff last week I found all three generations of the Sega Genesis console and all of my old games for them. Once I got them all out started playing them, I realized how much fun the games really were, and have gained a new interest in the Genesis platform. I mainly have Sonic the Hedgehog games along with other various sports and other game titles, but I would like to order some new games on Amazon to give a 'new' feel to playing on a Genesis.

For any of you who used a Genesis, what are some of your favorite games?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

One game that always frustrated me as a kid, and sadly still does is Truxton.

I would play that thing for hours on end and never get past the second boss…

I’m glad to say that I can get a little further now :eek:

3. chrisvee macrumors regular

Gunstar Heroes has to be one of my favourites. I also really liked Battletoads & Double Dragon.

And of course, Sonic 1, 2, 3, 3D Blast and Pinball. :rolleyes:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I remember the day I got a Mega Drive, played Sonic for hours. Thinking back it had a bit of a GameCube feel to it - only a few great games, but some of the best ever.

Sonic 1 and 2- the music, level design, pace and story were perfect in these two. Didn't like 3, CD or Knuckles that much.
    Streets of Rage 2 was just perfection. I still play it now, got the soundtrack on my iTunes too!

5. chrisvee macrumors regular

Oh right! Streets of Rage! I remember that. Good times, good times.

6. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Thanks for all of the responses! I love to see that other people have great memories with the platform, and I'm glad I have some new games to order! Keep em' comin'! :)

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

- Almost all the Sonic games
    - Streets of Rage 2, 3
    - Golden Axe II
    - Pirates! Gold
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Combat Cars
    - NBA Jam
    - Mortal Kombat (all)
    - Street Fighter II CE
    - Super Smash TV
    - Skitchin'
    - Virtual Bart
    - Bart's Nightmare

Just a few of my faves. I still have my Genesis and play it occasionally. :cool:

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Flashback: The Quest for Identity (still amazing and available on iOS)
    Sonic series
    Gunstar Heros (amazing!)
    Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millennium
    Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine
    Ecco 2: Tides of Time (amazing)
    Road Rash series
    Contra Hard Corps (I think that was Genesis...)

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them. I used to have Sega Channel which was awesome (when it worked ;) ).

9. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Oh man! This is my topic! I've been exploring a lot of old, obscure genesis games this past year as a hobby with my friend.

Some of the best ones we've picked up that come to mind:
    Gain Ground - awesome port of the arcade version. Basically there are 20-30 different heroes with different combinations of abilities and the object is to rescue them and get them through each level (or kill all enemies after you've rescued trapped ones on the level) really challenging, and really fun with a friend. You need to get pretty tactical.

Sub-Terrania - A pretty unique Shoot em up. Navigate through tunnels completing objectives, killing aliens and rescuing others. It's got great music, unique physics and cool objectives. Revolves a lot around fuel management. Power ups leave a little to be desired, but overall it's a unique experience in a genre that doesn't see much innovation, and is really quite a lot of fun! I havent beaten it, the later levels get pretty challenging! (the earlier levels aren't a breeze either)

Beyond Oasis - What the Genesis lacks in traditional RPGs, it makes up for in action RPGs. Solid all around, fun summoning creatures/magic system, good combat, all around solid game.

Light Crusader - Another cool action RPG. Honestly I think I enjoy it a little more than Beyond Oasis. Whats interesting is it was a Japanese team (Treasure) working to make a European style medieval game. It has a cool magic system where mixing the 4 basic elements gives you different spells, and a big focus on puzzles. It feels foreign, but it's a cool game. The isometric view it employs makes combat a little harder than it should be. But overall its an enjoyable experience.

Chakan - Great platformer/action game. Has a rich potion system but requires management of resources through levels. Very difficult but combat is very satisfying and fun. YOu progress through 4 worlds collecting different colors of potions to combine into power ups that range from basic healing, awesome power ups for your weapons, invisibility, super jump and more.

These games are all difficult damnit. That's genesis for you. The only one I've beaten was Gain Ground and I was amazed we pull it off. The final boss is utter ********.

As others have said:
    Flashback - Solid port of the PC game. Haven't gotten very far but feels very rich.

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Altered Beast
    Lakers vs Celtics
    Bulls vs Lakers
    Toejam and Earl

11. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

So many good titles mentioned on this thread. I'll have to get all of my games out tomorrow and list off my favorites!

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A lot of platformers.

Decap Attack
    Eswat
    Zombies Ate My Neighbour
    Sparkster
    Hellfire
    Castle of Illusion (Mickey Mouse)
    Sonic 1,2 & 3
    The Addams Family
    Loony Tunes
    Dynamite Heady
    Donald Duck : Quakshot
    Flashback
    Columns III
    Aladdin
    Moonwalker
    Taz Mania
    Ghouls N Ghosts
    Rocket Knight Adventure
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Strider
    Mega Turrican
    Wonder boy in Monster Land
    Global Gladiators (McDonalds)

Surprisingly a lot of platformers. We don't have that many platformers in current gen by comparison.

13. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Been trying to get my hands on a copy of Lost Vikings too, guess I could just buy one online but my local store (Gamedude in north hollywood, the best games store ever) prices it at 5 bucks...so I check when I'm there.

14. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

Nostalgia lane!
    Streets of rage 2 is free for PSN+ users right now so dont miss it.
    Sonic from 1 to CD
    Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
    Golden axe 2
    Donald duck adventures
    Syndicate (Really cool game(think GTA))
    Battletoads
    Mortal kombat - all of them (MK3 is my fave)
    And lots more that i cant even remember the name.
    Oh yea Contra...

15. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I loved the Genesis as it was one of those consoles that developers truly learned how to push the limits of a console and what was thought possible on the system.

Some personal favorites of all time are many from the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse - an early but still beautiful game to look at and play. It was a truly great platformer. Those who loved this game are highly encouraged to try out World of Illusion and many of the other Disney games on the Genesis. The only exception is Fantasia as it is incredibly frustrating even for a seasoned adult gamer.

Road Rash - Motorcycles and a good backhand to the rider next to you. Forget the sequels, the original was perfect (and also showed scaling on the system) that Nintendo fanboys would commonly ignore.

Ecco the Dolphin - Talk about thinking different! Never before would I have thought playing as a dolphin would be so much fun (and sometimes frustrating). This was a great game with fantastic visuals and the sequel was even more amazing! Puzzles to solve and patience was key for these games.

Sonic The Hedgehog - A sign of the "new" Sega for the times which made the Genesis the "cool" console to have. My personal favorite of the series is Sonic 2.

John Madden Football - This was a game that started a console sports gaming revolution, like it or not, Madden was here to stay and the best on the Genesis despite versions made for the Super NES and even a CD version made for the TurboDuo Super CD-Rom platform (it wouldn't work on the older TurboGrafx CD systems without a new CD system card).

Ranger X - Another visual beauty for the Genesis that really needed the new six button controllers. Aside from that, amazing paralax scrolling effects and a unique shmup that was overshadowed by the best shooter on the system

Gunstar Heroes - The best run and gun on the console that was visually amazing and downright fun! If you own a Wii, grab it on the Virtual Console service for the next best thing (playing it on the original system).

Ristar - This is one game that is often overlooked but without Ristar, we may have never seen Sonic! Ristar was also created by Sonic team and shelved for a while since Sonic has far more appeal. This is another great platformer that looks and sounds wonderful on the system and is great fun for anyone!

Castlevania Bloodlines - This is a great chapter in the Castlevania series and while it may not be as pretty as Super Castlevania 4 or even Dracula X on the PC Engine, it's a great romp for any fan of the Castlevania series as a whole.

Alissa Dragoon - Neither a run and gun or a straight shooter, this game does show a wonderful balance between the two along with the main character to have a companion to help you in your battles, just watch it's health and take care of them on your journey! Wonderful graphics and music really stand out on this well crafted title.

The Misadventures of Flink - This is possibly one of the most beautiful platformers I've ever seen on the system. It didn't do well in the US, but as a Psygnosis title, it fared much better in the UK. it came to the US via the Sega CD with a great soundtrack but it failed due to poor marketing and people loving more home conversions of the Street Fighter series

Virtua Racing - Yeah I know this is going to get the "WTF!?! knee jerk" response, the price for the game was insane as well as it's poor sales. Now a collectors item that's rarely seen. I did buy it and could tell it was a response to the well loved Starfox and the SuperFX tech on the Super NES.

The Sega SVP chip packed onto this cartridge really did add some number crunching power to the aging Genesis/Mega Drive which was really overshadowed by the Super NES and the new 32 bit hardware about to hit the market (including the 32x which had a much superior version of the same title).

With the $99 USD asking price at retail, I had the money to burn and a future project working on a port of Virtua Racing on the Sega Saturn in the months ahead.

There was no improvement in the on screen color range so there was plenty of dithering on screen and the car models still left a lot to be desired. The frame rate on the other hand did perform rather well despite the limitations guessing around 20 to 30 frames per second.

Overall, the whole game felt "rushed" but it was a neat technical swan song for the Genesis before it died and faded away for gamers wanting the Sega Saturn.

It wasn't the greatest racer on the system but it was by far the most ambitious, that's why it gets a mark of one of the best in my book.

There is so many more I could list but my battery is in the red!

Already a ton of great games listed here that it proves that the old Genesis was a truly great console and a golden era for Sega as a company. That is until they started with the Sega CD and the mess that was the 32X

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fantasia was indeed frustrating. I did finish it as a kid, but I wouldn't have the patience to do it these days. It's the equivalent of dark souls in 16bit

17. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Thanks for this thread, I got some new games on my list next time I visit my games shop ^_^

18. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Aw heck yes! I picked up Rocket Knight Adventures and Combat Cars last night thanks to this thread (under 10 bucks). Combat Cars computers are ridiculously hard to beat, but the 1v1 mode is pretty fun to play a friend against, as long as no one plays andrew. His homing missiles are totally OP in 1v1. Overall the game is alright, certainly worth the 2 bucks I paid. If for nothing else but it's rad music. Straight club music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3-N8xLP2Q

Rocket Knight adventures is just AWESOME. So stoked to play more.

19. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Mine are:

Dark Wizard (SEGA CD)- Turn based strategy game using monsters and human plays. It's like Master Monster but you don't have to claim land, the goal was to beat the grand wizard and his minions though a map of land. I'm still playing this today.

Shining Force Series RPG

After Burner 32X (Well I'm a big After Burner fan, I have all the classics (no I don't own a 360 or a PS3, so I can't play the remake. :( )

Golden Axe I, II (I really like the SEGA CD version, it had the original sound effects from the arcade (or close to it).

I'm almost embarrassed to mention this, but there was a SEGA CD title that I like that is a FMV :eek: . Ground Zero Texas, freaking hard game! It spans two CDs.

Hugh

20. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

Streets of Rage 2
    Not sure if this was for N64 or Genesis since I don't have either anymore but I used to love Toejam and Earl lol.

----------

+1 for Golden Axe II wow I forgot about that one.

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Flashback or any of the sonics.

Was very disappointed when they tried to do syndicate with a controller! Bloody horrible!

22. -SD- macrumors 6502

Off the top of my head -

Thunder Force III
    Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force
    Gley Lancer
    Twinkle Tale
    Gynoug/Wings of Wor
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Sparkster - Rocket Knight Adventures
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Snake, Rattle n' Roll
    Mega Man: Wily Wars
    Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage Trilogy
    Castle of Illusion
    Quackshot
    Gunstar Heroes
    DecapAttack

In fact, most of the Disney games on the Megadrive were really good platformers. And no, I don't like Sonic.

:apple:

23. n8mac macrumors 6502

Some not mentioned...

Dune the battle for Arrakis (good PC port, rare)
    Romance of the three kingdoms 2 and 3 (good strategy)
    Monopoly
    Clue
    Star Trek the next generation: Echoes from the past
    Cool Spot
    Out of this World/Another World (it's like Flashback but with polygons)
    Micro Machines
    Desert Strike
    Jungle Strike

24. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I loved Road Rash and Toe Jam and Earl. My brother and I used to play Road Rash all night long.

Mom liked TJ&E and would sit and watch us play. Cute, I guess, ha.

I had a pretty decent collection... about 10 games total. Sold them all to Toys Я Us for store credit on a Sega Saturn.

25. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Cool thread.

Genesis, probably one of my favorite consoles, lots of good times.

Standout games:

Strider
    Granada
    Phantasy Star II
    Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    Shining in the Darkness
    Sonic I
    Sonic Spinball

Good stuff.