What are your favorite Wild-Life / Historical Documentaries?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shyam09, Feb 21, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

I'm catching Planet Earth II right now and it's bringing back nostalgia from the other David Attenborough BBC documentaries I used to watch.

I do have a collection built up with some major titles like Earth (1), First Life, Life in / Of ..., and some movies like Disney's African Cats, Bears, Chimpanzees, etc.

I love a bit of (ancient) history, and absolutely love nature documentaries, so what are some ones that you like and recommend?

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My wife and I actually just watched a new documentary about the first climbers to successfully ascend Meru. It was a fascinating story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meru_(film)

http://www.merufilm.com/

[​IMG]

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I love the Battlefield documentary series, especially the episodes about WWII. It makes learning history a lot more interesting than the heavily biased textbooks I had in school.

The nearly zero bias is what makes the series so appealing to me. Most war documentaries have interviews with veterans, which gives a nice personal view of history, but it also introduces a lot of bias. The Battlefield series has no interviews. It takes an outside observer POV.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Planet Earth II would probably be my favourite. Excellent camera work.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely about Planet Earth II - it was stunning. That would easily top my list of Wild Life documentaries.

Now, as for history - I will have to give that some thought.

However, a few superlative documentaries ought to be mentioned: The BBC series "The World At War" was superb, and Claude Lanzmann's "Shoah" was astonishing, and horrifying, and brilliant, as was "The Act Of Killing".

6. JamesMike macrumors 603

JamesMike

'The World at War' and 'Planet Earth II' are two of my favorites.

7. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Blue Planet, which I can watch again and again. BBC are broadcasting Blue Planet II later this year. I might have done a bit of wee when it got announced :)

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I used to watch Nature on PBS regularly. Now I seem to have drifted away from nature shows, but engjoy them when I come across them.

World at War was mentioned, that is awesome. I also like The Civil War by Ken Burns. :)

9. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

shyam09

Fantastic collection everyone -- so far I'll be adding Meru, Battlefield, and The Act of Killing to my collection (the ones that stood out to me the most).

I'll take a look at The Civil War, The World At War, and Shaoh later on. And of course Blue Planet II when that comes out.

10. Jimmyss macrumors member

Jimmyss

My favorite was Battle Field series. I think it is the best documentary, I have ever seen.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Let us know what you think after watching.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Back in 1974, we were forced to watch a documentary about wildlife, I believe it was called Beautiful People. At that time, I thought it was the most awesome documentary about animals that I have ever seen. Now I want to see it again and see if it still holds the same charm.

14. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

shyam09

Planet Earth II - Mountains was just hilarious and awesome. The bears danced, the flamingos danced, the eagles did some high jump kicks in slow-mo.

So far (only two episodes in) it's the best episode I've seen. Highly recommend that one.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I will watch anything Ken Burns makes multiple times with great attention.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Planet Earth II was stunning - one of the best wildlife documentaries I have ever seen, a superb series, one I cannot recommend highly enough.