What are your most valuable possessions?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
As the title says. If you would, please exclude the following:
Family/loved ones
health (yours, your family's and your pet's)
as your valuable possessions for this thread.
Edit: for compulsive spell checkers, I admit I made "possession" plural even though I used "is" by my error.
Edit 2: As Lord Patton posted, "psychological values" would be included. Some of the valuable things to a person cannot be pegged with the dollar sign.
Edit 3: cheap car or "cheap stuff in general" is exempt from the list (in terms of monetary value).

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
So, you're talking material possessions?

I guess my most valuable possession would be my condo, then... followed by specific works of art in my collection, followed by one of my cars.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
clayj said:
So, you're talking material possessions?
Well, yeah, to some extent. Family, loved ones, and pets are too mundane and too cliche. As a true fashion of consumerism, I thought it would be good to have this type of thread to see other forum members' value criteria.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Are we talking valuable in the monetary sense? Or of value to me personally, as in, I wouldn't trade it for the world?

In either case, perhaps I'd have to say my house (since my wife, my dog, and my baby-in-the-belly are exempt).

But more personally, I'd have to say I most value the experiences and learnings I've taken from the teachers in my life. I've had the most wonderful teachers, and they've given me more than I could ever deserve.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I would have to say my most valuble possesion, outside my children, is....myself.

And I don't mean my body. I mean my mind, and my beliefs. They are arrived at through thought and self examination, and I defend them from all encroachers.

I gave them up once,( for a woman, go figure ), it took a long time to get them back. They will never be taken again.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
lord patton said:
Are we talking valuable in the monetary sense? Or of value to me personally, as in, I wouldn't trade it for the world?

In either case, perhaps I'd have to say my house (since my wife, my dog, and my baby-in-the-belly are exempt).

But more personally, I'd have to say I most value the experiences and learnings I've taken from the teachers in my life. I've had the most wonderful teachers, and they've given me more than I could ever deserve.
You have a good point there. I edited my original post.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Somehow, I don't see a thread asking people to list the items they own with the greatest financial value - and especially one which seems to think "cheap" things aren't somehow good enough to be listed - going anywhere good. Besides which, there are plenty of other threads where members can show others just how financially well-off they happen to be.

As long as this doesn't turn into a bragging contest, it'll stay open... but it will turn into one, and so it'll probably be closed by tomorrow.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Ahh, a thread jsw hasn't closed...yet...:p

Most valuable thing is my flat and car. Isn't that going to be a stock answer?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
jsw said:
Somehow, I don't see a thread asking people to list the items they own with the greatest financial value - and especially one which seems to think "cheap" things aren't somehow good enough to be listed - going anywhere good. Besides which, there are plenty of other threads where members can show others just how financially well-off they happen to be.

As long as this doesn't turn into a bragging contest, it'll stay open... but it will turn into one, and so it'll probably be closed by tomorrow.
I added "psychological value" for this thread. I just want to have this thread sincere expression of the forum members' valuation on things they own or their psychological values. The reason I exempted some items would be to keep this thread being too boring.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
YS2003 said:
I added "psychological value" for this thread. I just want to have this thread sincere expression of the forum members' valuation on things they own or their psychological values. The reason I exempted some items would be to keep this thread being too boring.
You asked people to list their most valuable possessions. It is not right to then tell people that they're just not well-off enough to qualify for this thread.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, it would have to be my mind and my knowledge since that's what makes it so I can get the money to buy everything else.

As for material stuff, it would be my car (2000 Corolla). I don't own a house/condo as I live in an apartment, but I would imagine for most people their residence is the most expensive thing they own.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
My computer setup, my coin collection, my Mariah collection (and autographs...I have 7), and my education (almost $200,000 when I'm done :eek:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.