What Are Your Pet Peeves When It Comes To Cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mac-Maine, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Mac-Maine macrumors member

Im am VERY picky

probably annoyingly picky when it comes to phone cases, and for the iPhone 5 im seeing a very annoying trend of designs that leave me wih the :mad: face

If it has the bootom and top completly OPEN like this, i will no buy it, it's not only ugly and serves no protection but it makes the case look incomplete to the eye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the camera hole cut out going down to the aluminum backing

Looks god awful and goofy

[​IMG]

This is how it should be done

[​IMG]

Share Your iPhone Pet Peeves

2. ngocnguyen macrumors member

you hit 'em on the spot...I share the same feeling..

the last case...the cut out for the mute switch looks a little small for my stumpy fingers..but that's just me.

I can't stand tacky gaudy rhinestones and crystals plastered all over the case. I mean really, that can't be the only way to market to women.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Your first examples with the open bottom. They are cases that are compatible with over sized connectors, like the Lightning-30pin adapter.

4. procrastinasn macrumors regular

I actually don't mind the open bottom and top.. My case is thin and minimal.. As long as it covers the corners I'm fine.

The pet peeve I have is the huge cases people even think about using

5. RTbar macrumors regular

I cant stand saggy sides/bottoms that dont seal tightly to the phone...dust and dirt can easily get in, plus it makes the case feel cheap

6. Mac-Maine thread starter macrumors member

yup, another thing i hate

7. theautopilot, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Yes, rant time :cool:

I'm also extremely fussy and agree completely with the OP's points.

My biggest hate by far is silicon cases; horrible, sticky, saggy, loose, pocket gabbing, filthy silicon. It's the ultimate noob thing, usually $1 from the mall, when people proudly show you they own an iPhone and its got a POS silicon case stuck to it. Sorry, but my hate for cheap silicon cases is almost pathological! Yuck.

Please allow me to indulge in a pretty big sweeping generalisation here, no offense to anyone, but i also I really hate *fake* carbon fibre backs. People who have fake carbon fibre backs are usually teenage boys with The Fast And The Furious posters on their bedroom wall and think about firearms too much. Why not just buy a case that says "im a virgin and i dont own a car" on it. Get some class boys.

In addition, other general things that I really don't like are; hard to press sleep/wake and volume buttons, massive logos, stupidly small earphone ports, cases with holes to show off the Apple logo and therefor let in dirt and potential scratching. Fake leather is Also very ewww. I don't know what it is about clear cases either that really bug me, but that's just a personal thing, I realise lots of people dig them.

It also frustrates me that some cases manufacturers seem as if they deliberately design the cases to peal up a screen protector. It's really not hard to design a cases that in fact helps them stay in place.

Best case I have found for the iPhone 5 is the incipio frequency, but I would also consider the switcheasy tone. I'll be going lifeproof if its good though (even with the logo hole).

8. lissing macrumors newbie

lissing

I agree with both your points. I hate snap-on cases with open ends and ridiculously huge camera cutouts

-Hate any cases made out of silicone since it's a cheap material that sags, catches lint like crazy, and feels terrible in the hand.

-Finding an awesome perfect case but not in the color I want. Either they just have boring black or white or crazy colors like hot pink/purple or neon green.

-Cases that bubble up my screen protector (Incase slider :mad:). I buy pristine PS screen protectors and always make sure they go on perfectly, so I can't tolerate cases that mess up my hard work

9. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

yeah i mentioned in my tones review that I hate these companies that are keeping the same huge camera cutout from the 4/4s

incipio and switcheasy got it right so far

I HATE when cases have hard to press sleep/wake buttons :mad: especially when the rest of the case is pretty awesome :rolleyes:

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

cases that have no design on them. They are so bland, when I use a case I want style. If I'm going to cover up the gorgeous back I want something better, like maybe a slogan, nike sign, something cool! I can't use a regular old black case.

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Well, let's see . . .

Cases that screw up my GPS! (I bought a few aluminum and hybrid cases for my iPhone 4. never again!)

But more realistically:
    1. Cases that are so hard to put on and take off that they scare me. (OVRMLD)
    2. Saggy rubber below the home button. (NGP)
    3. Cases that have corners that need to be pushed down after being in my pocket. (Feather)

But there are some great cases out there too . . .
    Photive Natural Slim
    Switcheasy Tones
    SGP ultra thin air
    And more yet to discover . . .

13. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

For me, nothing ugly nor cheap cheap on a nice phone. I like cases like Groove, Case Mate Artistry Woods, etc.

14. Kisey macrumors 6502a

1. Completely open on the bottom (or one big opening), and the top
    2. Uncovered volume bottons
    3. Huge cutout for the camera
    4. Apple logo cutout

15. The Green Mac macrumors member

buttons that are hard to press or aren't "clicky"

16. jcliden macrumors member

1. Cases that don't fit right. Doesn't click into place.
    2. Huge camera cutouts
    3. Cases that are impossible to get off
    4. Cases that make the button too sensitive or too hard to press

17. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Yep, I have often found this.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Yes I agree with the OP. What is the 4th phone in your post? The Black one? I am very fussy about cases and it is pretty near impossible to find the case I'm looking for. And I'm not looking for much. I want a white minimialstic case that is the same color as the white Iphone white. Then I want it to grip the sides and not the screen and then have just enough lip and edge so not to have a lay flat front. Also would like a case that doesn't look totally unaligned with the bottom and or top open or the side by the buttons open. I would also like the camera hole to be in proportion. One last thing - I like the shiny look and with that shiny look want a material that doesn't scratch.

Other than that, I don't might either a slider or snap on type case.

Where are the case designers out there?

19. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

You have to talk to Apple on that one. They recommend that huge hole. I agree that it's ugly though. :)

Attached Files:

20. iAi macrumors 6502

Agreed. Though those with huge holes are flash friendly!

+

- Those expensive pouches, eg, Mujjo that looks like made out of baseball gloves.

- So hard to snap in or out that they would cause scratches.

- The flimsy or cheap looking (faux) leather wallet / book cases with plastics that enclose the iPhone so tightly (beware of those made in china being sold in ebays or the pseudo-designer ones being sold at amazon).

21. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

The alternative is for all of your pictures with flash to turn out sort of washed out. Curious how those Switcheasy cases are for pictures. Even with a black ring, the flash is so bright that it might affect picture quality.

23. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

No silicone and no pastel colors.

24. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

$160 cases that have no lay on the table design to protect the front glass :p

25. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Cases that are slippery and cases that are lint magnets.