What are your realistic expectations for the next iPhone (4s/5)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jun 12, 2011.

1. thermal macrumors regular

Now that we know about iOS5 and no summer WWDC iPhone introduction, what are your realistic expectations for the next iPhone (4s, 5...)?

Mine:

- A5 chip: probably dual core?
    - Higher resolution camera
    - slightly reworked/improved antenna design.

Three months ago would have included 64GB version, but with iCloud introduced, maybe not...

2. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I still don't agree that there will be a 4S -- there is no need for that.

I do expect dual core, better camera and 4G for both networks on the next model, though.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most likely an 8MP camera, maybe upgraded front camera. Also A5 chip.

iPhone 5 most likely won't be big, but iPhone 6 "will change everything...for the 6th time ;-)"

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A5 dual core processor
    8Mp Camera
    512MB RM
    16/32

What they might do
    A5 dual core processor
    8 or 12Mp camera
    768RAM
    LED notification light

5. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

A5 Dual core
    1gb RAM
    8MP camera
    front notification light
    32/64gb
    edge to edge screen

6. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

A5
    8MP Camera
    Edge to Edge GLASS (meaning the phone itself shrinks a little, not increasing screen size)
    512MB Ram
    Not available in white till December 2012

Also I think the home button may light up for notifications. Who knows.

7. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Hoping for ...

Faster processor for sure
    More memory for sure
    Bigger view able area, I hope. :cool:

8. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

That sounds like a cool idea for the button to light up, or maybe the apple logo on the back will light up?

Also I want to add that I hope apple changes the design a little bit, iPhone 4 was the first one I used a case with because it was just that fragile due to the back glass and metalic band

9. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

The problem with the Apple lighting up is it's facing away from you, and most people don't usually have their iPhone's face down.

It would be much easier to have the home button's square light up a bit, making it noticable. But knowing apple it'll be an invisible light on the opposite side of the ear speaker. Like on the mbps.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

11. flipster macrumors 6502a

I don't want a bigger screen unless they bump up the resolution (had a Droid X, you get over it).

What I want:

.........1GB of RAM
    .........Bigger Battery
    .........Better Front Facing Camera
    .........Dual Core would be nice (if they can manage the battery properly)
    .........Louder Speaker
    ........ You know what would be cool? If the Apple logo lit up on the back. That'd be ****ing awesome

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Better camera
    Faster Processor
    more storage space (though sadly I expect it but from some explanations I've seen maybe it's not so realistic)

Other than that, I don't really have much expectations.

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

14. Scuby macrumors regular

Faster processor, possible RAM bump, slightly improved camera are the obvious ones, barely worth a mention.

I'm interested in the reasons why it's been delayed (ok, technically it's not delayed because it's never been promised for any particular date, but it's later than every previous year)... I would therefore assume they're waiting for something. It might just be iOS 5, but actually the jump in iOS isn't that significant, and seems odd to delay for that. Might just be to move it closer to Christmas, which wouod be fair enough. Or maybe there's more to it, and I'd guess one of three:
    - LTE - we know the chips weren't good enough recently, but maybe they'rre waiting for some better ones. While there's not much demand now, Apple have one phone a year and they might feel a little "left behind" if they waited another year. Though i'm in the UK, which has no LTE and no plans for it yet, so has no interest for me.
    - RFID - (my mind's gone blank and can't think of the other name for this) - seems to be taking off this year, with several phones now incorporating it, banks pushing it harder, and lots of marketing - as with LTE, maybe Apple wanted to get this right and get it in this year.
    - Redesign - maybe the adverse publicity around the iPhone 4, the antenna problems etc, means Apple will want a more visible redesign than they would originally have intended, just to avoid any negative associations. Presumably that would also mean it would be the iPhone 5, rather than the 4S.

Wouldn't put money on any of those three, but would suggest something more than a simple spec-bump will come along this year.

David

15. jellybean macrumors regular

A5
    Improved camera
    Edge-to-edge display
    NFC

is my guess

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I don't expect anything other than a new chip and camera, but I'd like to see the back made out of something besides shatter prone glass.

For Apple to do that, though, would be admitting that it was a stupid move in the first place.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

-A5 dual core
    -Front LED notification light
    -8mp camera and/or better sensor
    -slight improvement in battery life
    -although more ram is realistic, I'm not expecting it. I don't know why but for some reason I just don't think they will go for more ram. hope I'm wrong.
    -Models with more storage capacity
    -4G capable for all carriers who offer it
    -Universal design across all carriers
    -larger screen (not expecting anything over 4 inches. And yes, that's what she said)
    -one last as of yet unknown "wow factor" feature because their usually is.
    -a release between september and november.

Those expectations are realistic, but I would put money on less than half of them actually happening.

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well an A5 Dual Core chip is a given, so is a 12MP camera that the Sony CEO spoiled. We can expect more RAM as well to go with the Dual Core.

So what else? I'm really hoping for a bigger screen, 3.7" to 4" max. And an antenna design fix.
    Then this iPhone will be the most perfect phone for me.

19. genexrocket macrumors regular

My guess is:
    8MP camera
    Dual core processor
    64/128GB
    And least likely, a larger screen, 3.7 or 4" screen OLED this time maybe?

20. Dangerdog3000 macrumors member

I would be satisfied with bumped up specs. Dual core, more ram etc. I could care less about the camera because to be honest I really don't use it at all anyway. The only other thing I would want is slightly larger screen. Although, anything more than 4 inches is pushing it.

If there isn't a change in the screen size, i'm perfectly fine with the body of the iPhone 4 at the moment. No redesign necessary, yet.

21. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

One thing that is most needed would be LOUDER Sound in the Earpiece. I do not know about any of you guys/girls but I for one have a serious amount of hearing loss from over the years attributed to loud music , concerts and power tools and equipment running in my work environment for 1/2 of my life so my hearing is at about 60% of what would be considered normal.

The iPhone by far is probably the worst sounding "Phone" that I have ever owned in terms of Volume level!

22. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

A5 Dual Core Processor
    1GB Ram
    32/64GB Models
    NFC
    3.7/3.8" Display
    Front notification light
    8MP Camera on rear
    1080P Recording
    2MP Camera on front

23. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly I hope it's not just a spec bump. I hate being stuck on the spec bump cycle since I signed my contract when the 3GS was released.

24. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

• Same design
    • 64gigs
    • A5 chip
    • Better/same battery life
    • Better camera
    These are the least of my expectations. I hope Apple does more than just that though.