what are your reasons for getting a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romeo26, Mar 16, 2010.

1. romeo26 macrumors member

Reasons for wanting a MBP

Today I was at clinical and I was telling the fellow techy there that once apple refreshes the MBP I will be getting one. He ask me why would I want a macbook? I looked at him with a puzzled face, because he is a hard core apple user. He says it wont fit me because I know a lot about windows and apple’s are for people who don’t know how to use computers well…

I told him he was wrong. I wanted to get the MBP for something new to try because I am want something that just works. With windows computers you have to do a lot to maintain it so it is all ways running fast. At least with OSX it will be a little easier on my apart.

He tells me I wont like it. I tell him ill wait for the refresh, to decide.
    You guys what are you reasons for choosing MBP’s over windows PC’s?

Mine are:

The ability of it just working. Tight integration between software. Knowing if apple released software you are sure it will work. Having an OS that is optimized for the hardware, much like how nokia makes s60 better for their smart phones. I believe that the refreshed MBP will have something amazing to offer, like the sony z (well hopefully). Over all user experience. Really good battery life. Small power adapter. A 15inch option with matt screen. I can actually put my 5 year old dell laptop to rest. The announcement that steam (or was it valve) coming to OSX, which must mean the macbook might have something coming its way hardware wise.

My current laptops are a old 15inch dell (works well but its slow), and a Lenovo x200t. Both are good laptops but the dell is old and slow, and the tablet will not game, the most it will run is battlefield hero’s, its good for getting school work, photoshopping, and video rendering (takes a while), but that’s it. I want to start gaming. Mostly l4d2, boarderlands, mw2, and whatever else catches my eye!

first post :)

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Tell that to my computer science professor which has his triple screen(probably Cinema Displays) setup with either iMac or Mac Pro, not sure, and carries a 15" MacBook Pro. He just keeps telling us that the class how much better OSX is once you try it. He uses the triple screen for coding.

The macbook pro is a great computer because of all its parts. It uses a unix based operating system, but it much better than linux (friendlier, easier to learn and interact with, etc...), and can run windows. It has a better build quality than thinkpads or ... Dells. The display while not high enough resolution for everyone, has an excellent range of colors and is bright. The trackpad is better than anything a windows laptop offers.

3. abs1nthe macrumors member

I personally used to hate Apple and Apple products; blindly I despised them because of all the stereotypes against them. Many of the stereotypes are true, and for the most part, all the things I used to dislike about Apple - overpriced, underpowered, etc - are still true as well. But once I got into the whole hackintosh thing and actually tried using OS X for an extended period of time, I realized it was much better than Windows in many ways. I am not one of those people who gets viruses and has a slow computer and blames MS for it. I know how to make my computer run as fast as it possibly can at all times. I know how to optimize windows, I know how to work with the registry, I know how to customize everything to my liking, on and on and on. But like the OP said, OS X seems to require MUCH less upkeep. And as cliche as it sounds, many things just WORK. Quick example - I needed to use my phone as a bluetooth internet modem while on vacation and without wifi. At the time I had my ASUS 1005HA with windows 7/hackintoshed 10.6.2. I was able to make it work in both, but with OS X it literally took me two seconds, whereas in Windows I had to do all sorts of garbage like look up what number the computer should dial specific to my carrier. OS X seemed to know that info already without any input from me.

As for the MBP? After using OS X and falling in love with it, I realized there was literally nothing I needed Windows for that OS X couldn't do EXCEPT gaming. I love my gaming PC, and need to dual boot so I can game. But now that Steam is coming to the mac and all my most popular games are getting ported, I realize the switch would be easier than ever. If I need anything else windows related, I have vmware. I used to pride myself in knowing the ins and outs of a "complicated" OS like windows, knowing how to do under-the-hood stuff that most people call geek squad to do. But in reality, its much easier to have all that stuff done for you. Sure it's fun to tinker around with an OS, but at some point you outgrow it and want something that doesn't require constant maintenance and fine tuning. The MBP will fit my needs perfectly. As a notebook, I really think it's the most well-designed laptop I've ever experienced. The biggest selling point for me was easily the trackpad. The trackpad has been the biggest downfall of any mobile computer for me, and Apple solved that problem in my eyes. I actually look forward to not needing a mouse anymore. I love the gestures and the feel of it.

There's more stuff I could say, but I'll end with this: despite all this newfound appreciation for Apple's products and its OS, I still hate many things about the company itself. It's the price you pay, I suppose, to get a higher end machine with such a good OS. Either way I can't wait for the MBP to get refreshed and begin a new stage of personal computing for myself.

4. Stokes macrumors regular

1. OSX
    2. Back lit keyboard.
    3. Overall build quality (and I dig machined aluminum).
    4. Battery life.
    5. Resale value. A 2YO MBP will retail 75% of its value, where nearly any other computer is lucky to maintain 30%.

BTW, when people complain about how Macs are overpriced, I don't think they factor it fairly. The overall cost of ownership for two years is probably on par with Windows machines when you factor in resale value. It could honesly only cost you 50 cents a day to own a Macbook Pro, maybe less.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

its teh sex

also, don't think I can ever go back to windows.......too much of a hassle with viruses and such. It's time for me to get a laptop after being on a desktop (iMac) for the past 2 years.

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So...by his logic he is calling himself stupid? Then why are you listening to a stupid person?

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I' work on both and know my way around them very well. But I chose Macs because of the software I want to use. My first Mac I bought came with firewire and most of the PCs didn't or it was an extra fee to install. Plus the 3rd party software I like to use allows me to use along with any of the OSX as far back as 10.2. On a PC it's either XP or whatever they are calling it.

I got the Powerbook G4 and MMP cause it's sexy and plays well with my other Macs. :)

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I got my MBP to try OS X mostly.

Not much else besides that, and honestly I don't find anything that amazing about OS X. Most likely my next laptop will not be from Apple.

9. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I used to build my windows based computers because I didn't like the options from the boxed manufacturers in the middle 90s. Except there was always something giving me a problem or two with my homemade gear. So I moved to the boxed manufacturers of windows computers and discovered that their systems had more problems than the stuff I'd put together out of parts from the saturday sidewalk sale, except it had a warranty and a ton of useless prepackaged shareware type stuff preinstalled. Disgusted, I chose a (g3) imac because it offered an alternative to the dreck of standard pc ware. I always preferred desktops because of the power to cost ratio over portables. The imac worked perfectly until it was too old for contemporary software, so I replaced it with a powerbook as my special lady friend at the time used a powerbook that I could see firsthand, and I dug the portability of a laptop, and the consistent workingness of the mac environment. I eventually upgraded to a macbook pro because it was the next logical choice after I ground the powerbook down to a nub.

Just earlier today I was reminiscing on how I much preferred large scale tower systems when I was younger because of how much room they had to work around inside. They were like my '79 chevy blazer, big as hell and enough room for a team of donkeys to maneuver. Today I don't even own a desk that would accommodate such a system, just like that old truck wouldn't even fit in my driveway these days, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to spend as much time wrenching on it as I used to, even though once upon a time I thought it was entertaining to work on and fix old broken things.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The reason I ever bought my first Mac which was a 15" MBP back in the summer of 2007 was because of that very first iPhone. I was using a HP laptop to sync with the iPhone for two weeks and I kept hearing how a Mac would sync things so much better with the iPhone. Two weeks after buying that iPhone, I went to BestBuy and picked up the 15" MBP.

Since then, I've owned a 2008 2.8 GHZ Mac Pro, 2008 20" iMac, 2009 13" MBP and now a 15" MBP that I bought two weeks ago. This MBP is my only Mac now and I use it mostly for internet, iPhone and iPod syncing and watching videos. That's all I have ever used all the other Macs for as well though I surely didn't need the Mac Pro, I just wanted the experience of having owned one.

I still have a four year old HP laptop that works 100% to this day that I only turn on occasionally though. I guess it's sort of a backup.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

OS X + portability + enough resolution and power for graphics work really only leaves one option.

OS X because:

- need both Windows and Mac for browser testing
    - UNIX command line and environment for local development server (not available in Windows)
    - Adobe apps (not available in Linux)
    - Requires less maintenance and fussing than Windows or Linux
    - Gets out of my way when I'm working.

Suppose I could go for a hackintosh, but really don't want to bother, especially for the machine I intend to use for work and can't afford to be troubleshooting all the time or worrying about stability.

12. capacity macrumors member

I want a MBP because any modern video (flash, h.264, etc.), web-based or not, is a little too choppy on my 6 year-old PowerBook G4. Also, to do analyses of electrophysiological data in Matlab. :p

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

I want a MBP because I like OSX. I currently have a 24" Aluminum iMac and want something more portable as well as an upgrade in the processor and GPU.

14. mesq macrumors member

15. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm buying mine to look up words like 'electrophysiological'.:D

16. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

-osx
    -looks really good and built extremely well compared to any laptop ive seen/used
    -standard firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, optical in/out, glass trackpad, backlit keyboard, led backlit screen, etc
    -osx specific apps like ilife, iwork, final cut studio, aperture
    -terminal.app (yes, it needed its own line)
    -ability to run windows natively, no fuss, no hacks
    -just ****ing works, no hassle needed (built windows machines for so many years, got sick of reloading drivers, reformatting/reinstalling windows so many times, etc)
    -ability to purchase extended warranty later on
    -high resale value

i could go on and on.

17. capacity macrumors member

Recordings of electrical activity from the body; for me, specifically from the scalp (i.e., brainwaves). :)

18. Eltorero macrumors newbie

19. zipa macrumors 65816

20. jaysinnva macrumors member

jaysinnva

I never have to repair or maintain my computer at home.
    OSX (stability, and how it gets out of your way)
    Build (backlit keyboard, large trackpad, and overall design for example)
    I like Apple's integration with its other products that I use
    Since getting it, I love Aperture
    Resale value

21. abs1nthe macrumors member

For everyone who's MAIN reason is OS X, you might want to invest the time in a hackintosh. Yeah, it's not the real thing, I agree. But if all you need is the OS, and you can get it to work right, it is absolutely identical. I'm basically on a Mac Pro at the moment, except I built this computer myself. And it's way more powerful.

22. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yet another description that is more complicated than the actual work.

23. stewie1 macrumors member

The "it just works" argument isn't true. Of course, it's more likely that if you buy a bunch of Apple products that are designed to work with each other, it's more likely that they will work without adjusting settings, downloading drivers, etc. But I've had plenty of issues with things like my Time Capsule, AirPort Express, and having my iMac slow down inexplicably, etc. Don't count on everything "just working." They are computers and they will give you headaches and crash on you. Yes, even Apple Computers.

24. splitpea macrumors 6502a

^ That's why I don't want to bother with a hackintosh.

My time has a value -- a monetary one, in fact, since I'm using the computer as my primary working tool. It's the same reason I don't want to deal with Windows. Over the life of the computer, 10-15 hours of not having to "get it to work right" covers the difference in price.