What are your thoughts on Google Chrome for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, Aug 17, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I just download Google Chrome for Mac yesterday and it is impressive (for a beta). Fast and easy to use. Might be replacing Firefox later tonight:p. There are obvious things still needing to be done and compatibility issues that need to be fixed, but hey, its still beta. What are your thoughts on the Google Chrome beta and when do you think the official browser will be released?

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

It still need a lot of more work to be done, it's very buggy for me. Chrome to me feels like a hybrid of Safari and Firefox, it's got the snappiness of Safari with the extensions and customization of Firefox.

3. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I think it looks pretty decent and the pages I've gone to load pretty quick.

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I don't like the minimal UI very much. It is fast, but I want a little more fullness in UI... if anyone's following what I mean. :p

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Loads quickly, but seems a bit glitchy after it's been running for an hour.

It also offers me nothing that Safari 4 already has - so I can't imagine using it in the future.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Well in near future it will have extensions support, that's something Safari 4 won't have.

7. Alan S macrumors member

Google Chorm - to many bugs ...

It still has to many javascript related bugs.

Try using it with Google Docs.

When the PC version first came out, I started using it as my #1 browser. Then one day I was working on some GoogleDoc that required different font sizes and bullet points, and Google's Chrome browser couldn't handle it.

So we switched back to FireFox and everything was fine again.

My #1 brower is Firefox, with Sarafi a close second (on Macs).

Chrome is a very distant 3rd on any platform.

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Same as above, loads fast, and its as "organized" as Safari...I use both Safari and chrome when I don't want all the mess that my Firefox is.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

10. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

11. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Im looking forward to the actual release. I dont think its a real beta yet, its just a dev beta preview. I do not use safari anymore, only firefox (i dont like safari all that much) and would love to have another real mac browser.

The dev preview works decently well, they now support flash. Its coming along. I never use it, I pretty much only use firefox. Firefox FTW.

12. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I don't think it will right away, but eventually it will. Can't guarantee, though.

I initially didn't like Chrome due to its lack of Flash, but now that it does, good! But, it still crashes a lot:(

Let's put it this way, needs work, but getting there.;)

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

works fine on snow leopard.

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

If it doesn't have the multi-touch support that Safari does (2 scrolling, 3 finger back and forward, etc.), I'm staying away from it.

That said, I'm very excited they're bringing it to the Mac. First uTorrent, now Chrome? It's an awesome time to be a Mac user. :)

15. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Chrome supports 3 finger back/forward and 2 finger scrolling. However, it is not that smooth yet, as there is no smooth scrolling option.

16. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have been messing about with the beta builds, and it seems to work pretty well. So far, the highlights are definitely the speed (and 'weight') of the browser; it's light on its feet. The downsides are the ads that I normally don't see as a firefox user, and the little fit and finish things like double clicking on the frame to generate a new tab.

When it is final, it will be a formidable competitor to other browser options.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

19. jmj macrumors member

I tried it on my PC at work and thought it was crap. Nasty looking UI and buggy as all hell. It has a recurring bug in Yahoo mail that's been around since it went final nearly a year ago.

I doubt I will even give the Mac version a run. If I want a fast browser, I'll use Safari. Chrome runs on webkit. How can it be faster than Safari? And given the direction Chrome is going, it's not going to be a slim browser for long.

20. mantle536 macrumors newbie

i love it. the new builds are pretty solid. its uncluttered and fast, those are the things i want from my browser. i can't wait for the actual beta release.

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

Yahoo has a crappy mail site that doesn't work in any of the major browser except IE. I am not surprised that it isn't working under Chrome, that's not Chrome's fault. Blame yahoo for coding such a crappy site.

Webkit is an HTML rendering engine, nothing to do with Javascript. Safari has its own JS engine called Nitro while Chrome has V8, that's where the majority of the speed claims is coming from since majority of the internet is either on Javascript or moving towards it.

22. creon macrumors 6502

I love Safari and don't see a need to change.

The themes and extensions are nice but I always seem to find something that emulates Safari...

23. pejusdas macrumors newbie

24. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I've used it sparingly as new updates come out to see how the development is coming along. Definitely very promising, especially if and when there are extensions available to enhance the browsing experience. As far as speed goes, I'll reserve judgment until it is full featured.

25. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i don't have one reason not to use safari because it's fast, stable, and i'm used to the interface. i personally don't care for chrome.