Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
The recent iPad 2 outrage people had against scalpers was very surprising to me. I was one of those guys, I even got banned from buying more from the local Apple Store. I had never seen such anger from people about scalping anything else. I do have a job but scalping to me is like a second job. I make good money doing something that is relatively easy. I get tickets to many events around here including sports, concerts and other smaller things. iPad 2 was great, I had one of the best months I've ever done and I enjoyed waiting in line with other Apple fans.

So in general, not just iPad 2s, what are your thoughts on scalping and how do you feel about it?

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Meh, my people used to do it before the Europeans came. Old tradition?

Ohhh.. I don't like it, it makes it too hard to buy something that you really want (namely sports tickets). But I realize tickets aren't always like that, eg, people who buy a ticket and decide that they can't actually attend.
And I don't buy from scalpers, if I didn't get a product I wanted, I usually wait, like I did for my iPhone 4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't like it and I certainly wouldn't buy from one. But should I ever be a guinea pig and buy something on day 1?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have no problem with scalpers.
If people want to pay outrageous prices so be it.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Fair enough, but what of allegations involving enterprises like TicketMaster, releasing the best seats to scalpers? If so, are they in cahoots?

(Cahoots!!! wtf) :p

Ticketmaster sucks bunny balls. The scalpers definitely have a plan.
How can you prevent it shy of requiring a credit card and id.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
my problem with them is they go out and clean out the tickets making it near impossible to get one at list price.
If they could they would buy up all the seats/ stock.

it is one thing if you have 1-2 seats but another when youhave 20-30 blocks you bought up and sell.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
That's exactly how. Many sporting events in Europe have a x tickets per person limit, tickets aren't transferable and they require ID when entering the event. If you can buy more than one ticket, either you need to name the other recipient(s) or you have to enter the stadium with the person who originally purchased the tickets.
You can thank scalpers for that.

There is something similar here in Utah, it's new but it try to prevent scalping I think. Even though you can transfer tickets you have to pay huge fees. If you buy online to Jazz or some concerts and want free delivery and no fees then you don't print or receive actual tickets. You go to the event and the ticket checker person has a credit card reader and you swipe your card and a receipt prints with your seat information. No actual tickets.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wish they would just print the tickets with names on them, and then demand photo ID at the door.

You should be able to buy more than 2 tickets, but if you're going to an event and you purchased 5 tickets, then at least one person (the person who purchased the tickets, presumably) should have their photo ID ready.

This won't work for contests where the prize is a pair of tickets to a concert or sporting event, but I'm sure there's a solution.

And as for products, I dislike scalping. I suppose I don't mind, but on release days, they should really put a purchase against each customer's Apple Account. It is a slower process, though....

Last edited:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I wish they would just print the tickets with names on them, and then demand photo ID at the door.

You should be able to buy more than 2 tickets, but if you're going to an event and you purchased 5 tickets, then at least one person (the person who purchased the tickets, presumably) should have their photo ID ready.

So if I decide I want to take my father to a game instead of my friend but my friends name is on the ticket I am out a ticket? Also what if someone doesn't have a photo ID?

bergmont

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Scalping is an ethical abyss. It creates artificial supply constraints, inflates market prices, and provides no value added benefits to the customer. If people are willing to buy at the inflated prices, then they contribute to the problem and they encourage scalping, supply constraints, artificial inflation, etc.

Are you reporting the revenue from you black market ventures as income? Technically, scalpers are resellers who can be legally obligated to report profit and loss just as any small business does...un-filed income is what landed Al Capone in jail. How is it just for a waitress to have her tips taxed, but you just slide under the radar profiting from a manipulated economy without contributing to society?

One of the tenets of a free market system is that demand for a product is determined by the value it creates for potential customers. The value of the products being sold is established by the producers or service providers. What value are you adding to the products by buying them and reselling them at inflated prices? Does that $1200 iPad come with some great service that the $800 equivalent at the Apple store doesn't have?

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
If people want the product that badly and are willing to pay extra for it, who am I to stop them?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I have a problem with scalpers when they game the system and essentially become a racket.

The iPad 2 reminds me a little bit of that. Without a daily limit, scalpers who are there for profit can soak up far more inventory than anyone who is just there to buy one for themselves. I blame Apple/vendors in general for this. If there was a check in place against such behavior, the racket couldn't exist.

I also don't think it can be considered an "honest" business. Artificially creating a middle man position that doesn't add value and only creates transactional friction is a net drag on any market. If scalpers were actually helping vendors and customers find each other, then I think there would be a case for it, but that's not what happens in 90% of situations.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The recent iPad 2 outrage people had against scalpers was very surprising to me. I was one of those guys, I even got banned from buying more from the local Apple Store. I had never seen such anger from people about scalping anything else. I do have a job but scalping to me is like a second job.

Why don't you get a second real job instead of screwing people out of money for doing absolutely no work?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
As someone else said, I have no problem with someone buying a reasonable number and selling them on. Why not buy 2 iPads and sell 1 on?

The problem is when scalpers create or exacerbate the supply shortage by buying 50 iPads or a few 100 tickets and so drive up prices.

I'd never buy from a scalper, but I have no problem with people making a bit of money from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.