Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I am an Apple fan-girl and I'll admit it. However, the idea of another device that gives partial functionality and has to be paired to the main driver, the phone, doesn't do anything to get me excited. I've been purchasing Apple products since 2008 and have been all over my MacBook Pro, phones and iPads. My all time favorite has been my latest - the Plus. It has basically taken over and is now my "go to" device.

While I think the new watch can be a fun gadget for some, I just don't see the point of it for me. I also wear an automatic watch although not a Rolex.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
It actually is a very cool device in many ways but, for me, way overpriced for what it can do. In Canada so no Apple Pay as yet. That might be a bit of a game changer as well as other aspects such as keyless hotel room entry. I'll wait at least until the next update to see how its use has expanded.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I emphatically didn't want one at all, for many of the reasons listed above. And then I inherited my wife's sport when she upgraded to stainless steel.

And now I really rather like it. If anything, it does too much.

I still have the lovely Swiss automatic I've worn daily for almost three decades - but it just sits unworn and unwound. It is rather sad, but there's no point getting emotionally attached to "stuff". I'd always told myself I'd never do that - so I guess I have to follow through.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's really grown on me. I like the black one with black linked band.

My problem with it, the model I like isn't the best fitness watch/wrist band (heavy, bulky, metal link band).

At its price point (800-900) from a fashion perspective it's not that great either.

And it's a piece of tech (1st gen at that) so it will quickly be obsolete. And unlike jewelry, latest and greatest is typically better.

That said I'll probably get the 2nd gen. :)

Edit : sorry the one I like is actually 1099. But appearance subjective anyway.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
I am generally upbeat and excited about new tech and I believe Jonathan Ive is a true genius. However, I haven't worn a watch in 20 years and the AW is not compelling enough a product to start strapping one on my wrist again. IMHO it's another example of a technology solution in search of a need. Will people buy them? In the millions, no doubt. But I think before long many of them will be tossed into their final resting places, desk and bureau drawers, as people simply grow tired of lugging around and caring for so many devices and their associated paraphernalia.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
Bleh! I still haven't seen one yet in person but from what I've read about it, I'm still relatively unimpressed. First of all the battery life doesn't last very long and for a watch, shouldn't it last for days if not weeks?! Also, it's a tech product so, it's guaranteed to be obsolete in less than a year. I'll wait & see what the 2nd or 3rd generation versions have in store...

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
My AW is now history and I am back to my old daily driver. Does not sync with my 6+ but you never have to charge or even wind it. Not to many of your tastes but I have been wearing it for many years now and still looks like the day I picked it up from the dealer!

473570-d553fe92b25d2847c2151f075fda2bc1.jpg

To each their own, I think this is just as gaudy looking as the AW.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Dismay, disbelief, disinterest and indifference, and this is the ONLY Apple product that I've ever felt these things (or lack, thereof) towards.

However, I would like to make it crystal clear that my lack of enthusiasm or any kind of immediate interest in the Apple watch, doesn't in ANY WAY affect my liking or opinion of any of the Apple team - it's just a product, and even Apple can make duds (if it was one, in the end, which no one will know yet - I hope not :))

Last edited:

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I could really care less about the Apple Watch. Ironically I would like to wait until Android Wear is iOS compatible.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
The Apple Watch is not something I am interested in. This is just my opinion, but it seems overpriced and it doesn't bring anything to the table that my iPhone or iPad don't do better. I have never been a person to wear watches though. It's seems to be selling well, so obviously a lot of people are finding it worth the premium price, but it's not for me.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I feel that the Apple watch is indeed worth purchasing. I'm hearing impaired and cannot hear my iPhone ring. So, if my phone is on a table a few feet away the Apple watch will alert me to those notifications. The Apple watch will also let me know if something demanding my attention is worth pulling my iPhone out of my backpack when I'm away from home.

Reactions: Arran

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Like many others, I like my iPhone6, but not an Apple Fanboy. I do like a lot of features with the Apple Watch (notifications, Apple Pay, receive phone calls, etc). But just not at the price. Especially since you need the iPhone6 with you for all that stuff to work.

If I need to have notifications sent to me that I can read at a glance, there are cheaper options for me to buy. Most of the time though, it's just as easy to pull my phone out of my pocket to see 'em.

I also have an automatic watch, though not nearly as nice as yours N.A. Very nice timepiece!

But my guess is, no matter what I or any of us think -- they'll sell millions of these things, IMHO.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
I feel that the Apple watch is indeed worth purchasing. I'm hearing impaired and cannot hear my iPhone ring. So, if my phone is on a table a few feet away the Apple watch will alert me to those notifications. The Apple watch will also let me know if something demanding my attention is worth pulling my iPhone out of my backpack when I'm away from home.

This is the first "genuine " use I've heard that justifies the Apple watch.
Anything that makes life's real problems easier has to be good.
I still think it looks a toy watch from the 1980's though !

I should say here that I own an imac, an iPad Air, and an iPhone 5s, so I really like the products.

Reactions: ardchoille50

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
mods please dont move this

I want to get a sense of what iPhone users, but not Apple Watch fanboys, think about the watch. If I go over the Apple Watch section obviously everyone loves their watch.

Do you guys (Apple fans, but not Apple Watch fanboys), think the watch is worth purchasing? I bought one but now I am second guessing my decision...bought the Stainless Steel with White Sports band and the classic buckle (total of $599 + $149 before tax)

I think it's a great piece of kit, not perfect, but great.

I got the Space Grey Sport on release and I've just got myself a green strap (which is now my everyday strap).

Did I "need" a new £400 watch? No?
Did I want a smartwatch? Yes.

So I simply decided to treat myself.

Has it revolutionised my life? No.

Has it made my life easier? I'd say it has, due to not having to pull my phone out of my pocket to see who's calling/texting.

I walk 3 or so miles a day with our dog and I have a Quadlock case and armband for my i6, as I don't like the phone moving around in my shorts pocket.

The armband lives under my polo shirt sleeve in warm weather and to keep lifting my sleeve to see who's ringing is a pain, but now I just lift my watch.

I think this will become more important when the winter comes, as I'd rather look at my watch in the pouring rain than pull out my phone.

Anyway, hopefully that's the kind of feedback you were looking for.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Im happy with mine, but I wouldn't recommend someone get one if they didn't already want one. It's a luxury item in that it adds convenience but doesn't really give you any significant new functionality you don't already have by pulling out your iPhone.

That said, that extra convenience can be nice. I usually keep my iPhone on silent so I can miss phone calls. Most calls I don't care about, but the few I do, it's nice to be able to not miss

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Not so great..

To be honest, the Google watches with voice recognition is better then Siri.

Don't get me wrong, the Applewatch on this moment is not useful to be honest. Because its need a phone to pare with it. I mean it doesn't have a own GPS module.

So i hope the next generation of Apple watch will be much more better.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
We will have to give it a year for developers to make good apps that will have the watch to it's full potential. Imagine having your iPhone with only the stock apps it came with. The device is mostly a means to use apps, so we gotta wait and see.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yours is a example of one use case where the AW adds some convenience to your life. I just bought an AW also, I think Apple is on the right track with this.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm going to give the first generation a miss. It doesn't do anything for me that shouts "I must have that" and I'm also not that keen on it's rather bland looks.

It will be interesting to watch how it develops and maybe I will have changed my mind when Apple gets round to announcing the updated range next year.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The original iPhone convinced me of its usefulness almost immediately. Same with the iPad. The Watch looks like it's going to take a generation or two before that happens. When it's capable of functioning on the level of an early model smartphone all by itself without connection to another device, I'll consider buying one. I would need it to just do the basics--phone, check email/calendar/text/maps, play music, but without requiring that I carry the actual phone everywhere.

Right now, it's an overpriced and underperforming phone accessory.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
When it's capable of functioning on the level of an early model smartphone all by itself without connection to another device, I'll consider buying one. I would need it to just do the basics--phone, check email/calendar/text/maps, play music, but without requiring that I carry the actual phone everywhere.
I'm no electronics genius, but I would expect that to require much more in the way of internal electronics components in the watch housing. I'm not sure there is room for everything inside the case to accomplish what you've listed. This is likely why being tethered to an iPhone was a requirement.

Reactions: Arran

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
As much as I agree with the sentiment that it isn't a necessary thing to have at all, the fact is, other than at bedtime to charge it hasn't left my wrist since I got it a few weeks back. It's nice to have the notifications pop up on your wrist without having to pull out your phone, and the activity stuff has made me more aware of exercising and my overall health. Being able to respond to text messages, answer phone calls and use Siri straight from the watch without using the phone is also a decent timesaver.

That all said there is a ton of room for improvement. The next generation Watch is definitely something to keep on your radar.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'm no electronics genius, but I would expect that to require much more in the way of internal electronics components in the watch housing. I'm not sure there is room for everything inside the case to accomplish what you've listed. This is likely why being tethered to an iPhone was a requirement.
Having the phone handle the heavy-lifting could be a HUGE advantage: Upgrading your phone in a year or two will make your watch appear faster and more capable.

So in that respect, the watch may deliberately remain a 'dumb' accessory (or peripheral) to the phone because that architecture extends the useful life of the watch. Much like how a dumb bluetooth headset or mouse, or keyboard or laser printer, can last for a decade as you carry them forward from your old computer/phone to your latest model.

If that's the plan, the $1100 Watch and the exorbitant $17,000 Edition start to make some sense.

Reactions: ardchoille50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.