Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
Hey all, I'm looking to sign up with ATT Uverse and I need help deciding what amount of Bandwidth I should get. I'm trying to decide between 12 and 18 Mbps. On the network, it will be my roommate and myself. I play xbox live games like halo (I dont do any kind of pc gaming), stream netflix, stream plenty of youtube videos. Video conferencing every so often. Thanks

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Do you still pay for the speed of your connection in USA?

In most places in the UK it is now based much more on the amount of data you use. My previous ISP was 50GB per month with a fee for every GB over that limit, for example.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
12 would be fine. I have 12 where I live and stream video, xbox ect all the time. Hell Xbox is running while I am streaming and no issue at all.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The more the better on a shared connection. Less chance of your roommate being able to max out the connection and make everything suck for you while he's downloading a big file or similar.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I'm stuck on 1.5mpbs DSL, and it works alright. I'm posting now while I stream Netflix, and it rarely has buffering issues.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
What's the price difference from 12-18? Are there any other differences in the plans. Upload speeds? Data caps? ...

B

Thanks for the advice. Both plans have an upload speed of 1.5mbps. They both have a data cap of 250gb. And it's a $5 difference ($48 vs $53). I know five dollars isn't a lot but Im a poor college student and if there really isnt a difference then that five dollars can get me four tacos! :p

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Thanks for the advice. Both plans have an upload speed of 1.5mbps. They both have a data cap of 250gb. And it's a $5 difference ($48 vs $53). I know five dollars isn't a lot but Im a poor college student and if there really isnt a difference then that five dollars can get me four tacos! :p

If ATT is anything like my cable company, you can change bandwidths really easily if needed. I'd go with 12mbit, and if that ends up being inadequate, bump it to 18.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
Ok thanks guys. I went ahead and got the 12. We'll see how it goes. If it is a problem I'll just have them upgrade it to 18.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
If ATT is anything like my cable company, you can change bandwidths really easily if needed. I'd go with 12mbit, and if that ends up being inadequate, bump it to 18.

It's not like your cable company. We got U-Verse here back in November and had originally signed up for the 18MB plan, but when they arrived to install, they discovered we were the last house in the line from the switch, and the signal strength wouldn't support 18. It does support 12 just fine which seems perfectly adequate for 2 laptops + Wii + PS3 with Netflix.

neiiltc13 said:
Do you still pay for the speed of your connection in USA?

In most places in the UK it is now based much more on the amount of data you use. My previous ISP was 50GB per month with a fee for every GB over that limit, for example.

The major ISPs have just started rolling out caps on data. They typically don't start charging you extra unless you go over 250GB.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Not to go OT but why is Internet so expensive in the States? Jesus. Even in Korea, which was pretty much the definition of poor twenty years ago, I can get 100Mbps down and 80Mbps up for about as little as $30 a month.

Reading this thread is making me fear my eventual move back home.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but I know one major reason for slower speeds and higher prices is due to the slow implementation of newer tech to the majority of the country. Most places still only use copper wiring. Some upgrades have been made such as fiber optics. But even then I know a lot of that is just on the backbone of the network (they still use old wiring to the end user). I was considering Verizon FiOS since its 100% fiber optics but they've been slow on rolling it out and don't offer it in my area.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

It is insanely easy to do it on Uverse. It is log into your account online and then hit choose different speed and your bills adjust accordingly. May take a few days for the switch to happen but it is very easy to do.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but I know one major reason for slower speeds and higher prices is due to the slow implementation of newer tech to the majority of the country. Most places still only use copper wiring. Some upgrades have been made such as fiber optics. But even then I know a lot of that is just on the backbone of the network (they still use old wiring to the end user). I was considering Verizon FiOS since its 100% fiber optics but they've been slow on rolling it out and don't offer it in my area.

Well Uverse is is fiber-to-Node. That means it is fiber optics to some big box and then it changes to the copper wire system. For were I live the big box is in the front of the neighborhood.

Verizon is Fiber to the property and then it changes to the copper system.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I initially started with 6mb when my Uverse was first installed, but last year upgraded to the 18mb. It's been great. Like you mentioned, I only did it because the price difference was minimal. It's been great for us especially with transferring large files to online storage.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
Follow up: I've had the 12mb for awhile now and its been working like a champ. I've had virtually no issues on xbox live. I've had a few video chats that've worked fine. And I've downloaded several files that were a few gigabytes in size in decent time. So I will be sticking with this plan for awhile i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.