what bike would you get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Oct 23, 2008.

?

what bike?

1. Kawasaki Ninja 650r

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Kawasaki er-6n

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Suzuki sv650s ABS

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Suzuki sv650s

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Yamaha fz600

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Other (Please state)

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have quite a bit of experience on a ninja 250 and am looking for my next bike.

ive narrowed down to these contenders

1) kawasaki ninja650r
    $6800

2) kawasaki er-6n
    $6400

3) suzuki sv650s abs
    $7500

4) suzuki sv650s
    $7000

5)yamaha fz600
    $7300

im leaning towards #3 because of abs and its a nice bike. however it is kind of pricy when compared to the options 1 and 2

the fz600 is a r6 pretty much but more for streets and not racing. that said its a 4 cylinder whearas all the rest are parrallel twin. the twin engines dont have as much top end performance but are good for city driving with midrange torque and etc

2 is different than 1 by it not being geared as a sport bike and hence doesnt have fairings. it is pretty much the same as #1 with some adjustments

anyone with experience on thse bike have any opinions? is abs a nice feature? i would imagine so and that is why im favoring #3 over the rest even though it costs more. #2 is appealing to me as well as does #1. argh!!!

only the yamaha may be classified as a supersport for insurance purposes i would imaginewhich would raise insurance by quite a bit

any input would be nice!

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'd pick something that doesn't force me to lean over, and one maybe to take a trip on.

[​IMG]

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well after riding different types, i much prefer the manuverability offered by a sport bike.maybe in the future when i can afford my own stable lol. keep in mind that the first two options have a more standard seating postion (legs straight down as opposed to angled back)

4. djohnson macrumors newbie

Check out the Kawasaki Versys. It is built on the Ninja 650 body/engine, retuned for low-mid RPM torque and handles very well. It costs about $6800 also.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

None of the above. Look at the new Triumphs? Been super pleased with mine.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i do like that one. im having a hard time picking the differences out between the versys and the er-6n though.

a little on the pricy side for me. i do like the daytona 675 though

7. djohnson macrumors newbie

Have you been able to find a Versys to sit on? I have been looking since they come out and have not been able to find a single one. Our stealership here decided they were too popular so they wont carry them. :mad:

8. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I have a Black 2008 Ninja 650R and love it. That would be my choice.

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

you think a 650 would be too big a jump from the 250r? performance wise?

10. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

All the bikes you propose are good choices. Personally, I prefer two cylinder bikes (and to nitpick, the SV has a V two motor, not a parallel twin), but the Fazer has also a good reputation. All bikes are fairly uncomplicated to ride, and still have enough power to keep you entertained.

The ABS Suzuki will probably have a better resale value than the base model, so you should see the extra 500 $ more like an investment. I don't know what you have to pay for insurance in the US, and if they give a rebate on ABS - that could soften the deal too.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dude- get a Harley. Sorry, but this bike is HOT.

Attached Files:

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

What's the point in owning a bike if you don't like leaning around corners? that looks essentially like a two wheeled car.

Why not get a chain rimmed hat and start wearing nothing but a leather waistcoat and pants?

My girlfriend has a kawazaki z750 and it's lovely, I'd recommend one but they're not sold in the states.

14. miiles macrumors regular

Gotta keep your options open, who needs an engine when you have this? :D

[​IMG]

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Are you trying to turn duke into a leather daddy?

Seriously- Harleys are beautiful. I have a few friends who own them and they aren't leather daddies. ;)

16. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you've been riding the 250 for a while you've learned the fundamentals and aren't likely to act like an idiot on your bike. You learned on the 250 (which is what it's for) and you're probably ready for anything less than 1000cc.

That said, my vote is for any of those bikes besides the ninja.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Ew, seriously Goldwings are disgusting. Like someone said "a Two wheel car". The next option for a Goldwing is two more wheels, a Restroom on board, Air Conditioning+Heat, and maybe if your lucky, They will come with a Rider so you won't have to ride it:rolleyes:

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

anyone besides the ninja? may i ask why? just curious as the reviews ive read on the 650r have been positive

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't understand how the Yamaha is a super sport, I carried one on my policy and it wasn't classed as that. It was the same bike as well.

I'm gonna say that since you're dead set on a sport bike (I'd take that Triumph over any of those kiddie bikes) then I'd take it in this order ... kawasaki ninja650r (pay $400 for a slightly better engine) then the Yamaha. I do not like the Suzuki line because the exhaust is right out there. Not great if you want to carry a passenger. I'd also deter you from thinking the "fz600 is a r6 pretty much but more for streets and not racing" because it tells me you're not quite ready for a street bike. Be responsible, unfortunately people in cars aren't quite coherent enough these days to see a rider.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Get a ZZR 600 from that Kawasaki page you posted..it looks really nice..not sure of the price though.

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well it is a fact that the r6 is a race bike. and to my knowledge the fz600 is pretty much the r6 but tuned down for more mid range torque and suspension that turn it from a "race bike" to more a bike that is suitable for commuting type driving. There is a reason i started with a kawasaki 250r;)

when you refer to the triumph, are you talking about the daytona 675?

yea i agree with cars not watching for bikes, when i ride mine currently, its always anticipating what the car will do as they will always win the battle no matter whose fault

while it looks nice, i do not want to get another carbureted bike lol

22. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

650R all the way! I had an '06 and just got rid of it but man that thing was awesome. Buy used though since they depreciate ALOT!

It was my first bike, I also rode a friend's CBR600 there is a HUUUGE difference between the 2, but the 650R just feels safe, I can't explain it.

23. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i will say i do like my experience with kawasaki so far. i just want something that will be able to handle the freeways better as well as a little faster bike

while the 250r while insanely fun, it is only 1.5-2k under the redline when going 75mph on interstate. i hate having the engine near max for long periods of time if you know what i mean

i also added a poll :)

24. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

The ninja 650 is great. Has plenty of power, but is real comfortable for a sports bike. It is my 1st street bike. I was torn between the 250 and 650, but am real glad I got the 650 because I feel I will not need to upgrade anytime soon.
    Check out and browse the forum of this site if you are looking for more info.
    http://www.ninja650.com/phpbb/

P.S.
    I'm sure any of those bikes you get you will be more than happy with, but I understand how hard it is to finally pick one. The best thing in my opinion is to go and sit on all the bike you have in mind and see what feels most comfortable.

Good luck and ride safe.

25. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i know nothing about bikes, but if you are going for looks i like number 2 the best.