Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone read The City and The City, a Hugo Award science fiction novel, and like it? I’m trying and it’s just not appealing to me.

8D5A47CB-7DF4-4CE0-8D4C-BFEDC2C5420E.jpeg

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Carrying the Fire.

Apollo 11 crew member Michael Collins’ autobiography.
Pretty good read. Collins wrote it himself saying that in his opinion too much often gets lost when someone pens it for them.
I saw the other day he has at least one other book so I’m hoping he isn’t turning into another Buzz Aldrin.
One line that astounded me was that the 5 first stage Saturn V boosters burned 15 tons of fuel per second. (3 tons each.....liquid oxygen and kerosene). S

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
My dad recently gave me William Manchester's three-volume biography of Winston Churchill, The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill. I don't know when I'll ever get around to reading the entire thing, but I'm happy to have it. :)

It’s simply fantastic. I am halfway through the second book. Well written, it provides lots of not well-known information about the former Prime Minister. I am very glad that it is not hagiographic and does not shy away from his most controversial traits.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Reactions: RootBeerMan

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I am about 3/4 through The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and very much enjoying it. Having recently watched the latest season of ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ I was concerned about ‘plot armor’, so was happy that there are real actions and consequences.

Question -I am having a very deja vu experience regarding an important scene about half way in regarding the character V, but can’t find any reference that it was pulled from another book or movie or ... ? Not sure. Assuming it is simply deja vu, but if anyone is familiar let me know.

After that likely to read The Goldfinch (my wife already has) before it arrives in theaters.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Most of what I'd have to say about The Handmaid's Tale is probably too political for this subforum. But I'd offer that the most startling thing to me was the short timeframe of the changes that occurred, and the realization that things we may take for granted --"inalienable rights"-- did not just drop out of a cloud sometime and stick here as a force of nature unto themselves, nor somehow evolve to end up naturally engraved in everyone's hearts. I found the book a lot of work to get through but that it's left me a lot of food for thought and made me more of an activist than I had perhaps thought I'd have to be at my age.

I have not seen the TV series nor so far read reviews of it either. I confess to being a little wary of made-for-TV adaptations of anything treating subjugation of women. Perhaps that's very unfair of me without a look-in at some episodes of any particular series.... but "sex sells" and is sometimes problematic in TV presentations of how the good guys may (or, may not!) win in the end but meanwhile look how they tie her up and put duct tape over her mouth and stuff her in the trunk of a car and... is that a cigarette burn on her forearm.. Jesus Christ enough already has often enough been my response to abandoning some exposition of "how it's done".

Was there some other point to the story? Oh yeah, the bad guy got caught and locked up at the end. Hoorah for the good guys. What do I remember about it? Not that tacked on and formulaic ending, nope. I'll remember the attempt to make the "how it's done" crime ever more ingenious and compellingly gritty for us, the voyeurs, since we may no longer just feel like viewers.

I'm not critiquing anything in the Handmaid's Tale here... but acknowledging my reluctance to bother with it since I have read the work and found it compelling enough that I'm not sure I want to see how someone else wants me to see it. Or rather see how someone else chooses to focus on this or that aspect of the tale, since you're right, no TV production could translate the whole thing in its detail to the little screen.

"All art is propaganda..." [Orwell] so... it's not just the moral of the story that waves some banner, is it? The graphic immediacy of video in portrayal of physical or psychological violence is sometimes a deal breaker for me whereas I don't feel inclined towards censorship of the underlying written material at all. Maybe it's just my age. I'm in that last generation that learned to read before laying eyes on a TV (or, obviously, a movie theatre screen). That must surely make a huge difference in how people perceive "talking pictures".
I’m reminded of the phrase I first heard in V for Vendetta*: Actors use lies to tell the truth, while Politicians use lies to cover up the truth.

which btw is a most excellent film., imho. :)

Reactions: LizKat

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Most of what I'd have to say about The Handmaid's Tale is probably too political for this subforum.
Very true - but it is hard to have re-read it in the last few years - especially if you were at least a teenager when it originally came out - without feeling a sickening lump in your stomach.

I found the book a lot of work to get through but that it's left me a lot of food for thought and made me more of an activist than I had perhaps thought I'd have to be at my age.
Again, agreed. Back in the 80s I saw all this progress everywhere and envisioned a world where unions and ‘civil rights laws’ and things like that would become unnecessary because acceptance seemed like an unstoppable tide ... until it wasn’t. So suddenly re-reading in 2017 was like a gut-punch. In an era where some see a man refusing to hire women because he might be alone with them as ‘honorable’ rather than the grotesque and illegal thing it is ... suddenly much less of the book seemed like dystopia.

I have not seen the TV series nor so far read reviews of it either. I confess to being a little wary of made-for-TV adaptations of anything treating subjugation of women.

As well you should :)

As for the TV show ... we’ve watched it all. Throughout the acting and directing and cinematography are incredibly well done. The reason you will hear that it gets worse each season is the writing and some narrative issues - and based on what you (and Huntn) wrote, you will have issues certainly with season #3. However, Season #1 is glorious in how it brings the book to life, IMO.

And I get what Huntn is saying as well - I feel that there are strengths and weaknesses in the book that are along the same lines, and as gamers we are looking for more robust worldbuilding than we get. The core concepts work, but we try to fill things out and it doesn’t always work - I know I now read the book like a toddler saying ‘why’ and ‘how’ and ‘what’s that mean’ every three sentences :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You should try the "Bobiverse". Easy to read, but kind of hardcore SF. I haven't heard anyone say they disliked it yet! It's a trilogy and pretty good! You might also like the Murderbot novellas. They were really entertaining!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35014337-we-are-legion-we-are-bob

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32758901-all-systems-red

Finished book one last night! I dig it and I can almost see where book two will take us. I will be picking up book two, however I don't know if I want to jump right in to it just yet. So I started a book I have already read by Dean Koontz called "Dragon Tears". Read this one over twenty years ago and really liked it, so this will be a second go around of it!

220px-Dragon_Tears.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, not reading it yet, but highly anticipated!

View attachment 856330

Ah, yes.

Am really looking forward to this work.

The first two volumes (Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies) are superb. Actually, I had the privilege of seeing the RSC perform the stage adaptation of Wolf Hall in the Alywych five years ago and brought some dear friends from Bristol to see it (my treat to them); absolutely fantastic - so fantastic that the beer that had been bought for me at the interval was unfinished by the end of the performance.

The publication of The Mirror and the Light is very much anticipated on my part, as well. (David McCullough's biography of Thomas Cromwell - in which he salutes Mantel's scholarship, and accepts some of Hilary Mantel's interpretations re Cromwell's character is well worth a read).

Currently immersed in my version of "comfort blanket" reading; re-reading some of Elizabeth Moon's works (the Serrano series, space opera fantasy but very good), and some R. F. Delderfield (the Avenue series).

Re other future reading, I have already ordered Angel Mage by Garth Nix (his Abhorsen trilogy is superlative), and The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman (his Book of Dust trilogy is also outstanding).

And I am awaiting the imminent publication of The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company - by William Dalrymple.

Reactions: arkitect

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just released this week and delivered to me an hour ago by UPS... looking forward to reading this.

View attachment 856445

I'm going to read Mattis' book too. And, just based on carefully phrased remarks attributed to him via press reports of media interviews, I'm looking forward to reading the next one he writes as well.

"There is a period in which I owe my silence. It’s not eternal. It’s not going to be forever,” he said.

https://www.politico.eu/article/jam...ld-trump-silence-but-wont-keep-quiet-forever/

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm going to read Mattis' book too. And, just based on carefully phrased remarks attributed to him via press reports of media interviews, I'm looking forward to reading the next one he writes as well.

"There is a period in which I owe my silence. It’s not eternal. It’s not going to be forever,” he said.

https://www.politico.eu/article/jam...ld-trump-silence-but-wont-keep-quiet-forever/
Indeed! I'll read that when it comes out, too.

Political stuff aside, I'm also quite interested in reading the book for all the general (no pun intended) leadership stuff. Since he and I are both Marines, I will certainly understand and appreciate it's content.

Reactions: LizKat

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I really enjoyed the first three parts but was a bit disappointed with the fourth.
I really liked the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

And a couple of others* that I'm sure I mentioned in here a few years ago, lol. :p

*Kafka On The Shore

*Sputnik Sweetheart

But really don't recall much from them...

Last edited:
Reactions: Expos of 1969

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Think I've only read one work by Haruki Murakami. It's "Kino", a (long) short story, which I did like. It was published in the February 23, 2015 issue of The New Yorker. It did make me think I'd probably prefer his short stories to longer works. So far I haven't set about proving or disproving that not even half-baked hypothesis.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Today having a look through some of the late Mary Oliver's essays in her book Upstream. I meant to spend half an hour and it's been more like three times that... so it's not just her poetry that can draw one in and provide food for thought.

cover art - Oliver - Upstream.jpg

Reactions: Gutwrench
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.