Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
How long do you think Safari 5.0.6 will last before sites start displaying oddly, sites processing/glitchy for buying, or just the browser generally bogging down etc...

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Trying Camino, i used to use this on my iBook, and its running great now on my PowerBook!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Classilla

So what do you think of 9.3? I only run it under classic for fun, I like the shift to mobile sites, which load lickety split and don't contain all the ads.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
How do you shift to mobile to mobile sites?

With 9.3 the whole emphasis of the browser (Classilla) has shifted to mobile sites. It identifies itself as a Nokia phone, so the website on the other end will serve up the mobile page, if it has one. You can change the user agent in preferences. These mobile sites load faster on old macs (lets face it, if you are running os 9 natively you are on an old machine, by definition) and have much less javascript, ajax etc, yet provide a lot of the same functionality as the full site. And...less annoying advertising. I prefer the mobile NPR, BBC and ny times sites now as I get the exact same text, no blocking and small images. Mobile flickr is also quite good, and I can get my email with mobile gmail just fine.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
With 9.3 the whole emphasis of the browser (Classilla) has shifted to mobile sites. It identifies itself as a Nokia phone, so the website on the other end will serve up the mobile page, if it has one. You can change the user agent in preferences. These mobile sites load faster on old macs (lets face it, if you are running os 9 natively you are on an old machine, by definition) and have much less javascript, ajax etc, yet provide a lot of the same functionality as the full site. And...less annoying advertising. I prefer the mobile NPR, BBC and ny times sites now as I get the exact same text, no blocking and small images. Mobile flickr is also quite good, and I can get my email with mobile gmail just fine.

I need a browser that will do this in Tiger. That would work great on my G3 iBook.

g3iBookboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I just downloaded Demeter a few minutes ago. I downloaded the beta version. seems to be pretty good, need to use it more for a while to be sure though. I am using it on a g3 ibook 500 mhz/576 ram.

harlock59

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
france, europe
i'm switching from safari 5.0.6 to firefox powerpc because i can't use adblock plus on safari power pc....

i can use ghostery on safari and amazon wishlist though

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
T4F was a bit faster, but I kept getting messages about missing Java and Flash components. Videos on YouTube wouldn't run.

They disabled Java and Flash because it is 'unsafe' you can enable flash, and we are trying to find out a way to enable java.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
yep i change it to the default Firefox icon.

Lol I change it to the Google Chrome theme, then I rename it to Google Chrome and then set the icon to the Google Chrome icon! A very realistic looking fake Google Chrome!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
i'm switching from safari 5.0.6 to firefox powerpc because i can't use adblock plus on safari power pc....

i can use ghostery on safari and amazon wishlist though

I don't know what Ghostery is, but you still can use Amazon "Add to Wish List" on TenFourFox.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know what Ghostery is, but you still can use Amazon "Add to Wish List" on TenFourFox.
Ghostery is a Firefox addon. It kills website tracking. Google Analytics, etc.

I used to use it until I discovered that it has a memory leak (wondered why my ram was always shooting up) so I removed it. You can achieve a lot of the same thing using RefControl or any other Referrer addon.

When you leave one site for another you get queried as to where you came from. Without a referrer addon your browser will inform the site as to where you just came from. That's tracking. Using Refcontrol you can set the addon to misinform the website that is asking where you came from. In my case I have it set to Forge <3rd Party> which means that any third party site asking where I came from gets told that I am coming from the root site of the site I am currently visiting (even if I just landed there). The website I am visiting, if it asks gets told that I came from the root of the site.

So, essentially via RefControl, I'm not being tracked, except on the site I'm on, which I'm fine with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.