What bug is this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by myrtlebee, Feb 11, 2019.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I keep seeing these things in my house randomly since mid-July. I would say I've found 10 in my kitchen and one in a bedroom air vent (central air). Mostly during the summer months, but this one was found the other day in the dead of winter. It has been a few months since I've seen one.

I have never had problems with bugs before, and my house is very clean. I don't leave my doors or windows open without tight screens in place, so I don't know why they are here. I live in Maryland, if that matters.

Are these a type of roach? Nothing I have found online seem to look exactly like these. They are the size of a quarter. I cannot get a good photo because it is in a plastic bag... not keen on letting it back out! I'm afraid my dog will eat these and get ill.

IMG_0521.jpeg

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Looks like a water bug which can also look like a cockroach.

3. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

4. myrtlebee, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

That picture indeed looks more like what I’ve seen than any pic I’ve found so far. Not good news I guess. I really don’t understand how they are getting in my house.

UPDATE: Upon further research, it appears these are Oriental Cockroaches, aka waterbugs. Not as freaked out as I would be if they were true cockroaches that could fly, etc, but I'm still going to figure out where they're coming from and hopefully get rid of them. Thanks for your help!

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Aha! I was right. :) Glad you got confirmation and a plan to get rid of them.