What cables do I need; also use of old keyboard and VDU

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lu-caz, Apr 18, 2010.

1. lu-caz macrumors newbie

I am a new mac user and have a macbook running the new Snow Leopard platform. I would like to be able to use it as a desktop when at home. I understand I will need cables.

I have a good old VDU which I want to keep if I can. It works well, it is currently connected to a PC.

1. Can I use the VDU I have, if not, what generic type should I buy?
    2. What cables will I need; what should I ask for?
    3. I have a Microsoft natural shaped keyboard which saved my wrists, I wish to carry on using it, The keyboard is a USB one, though I don't know off-hand if it is USB one or two.

I am running MS Office for mac, so I presume I should be able to transfer my MS folders over to this macbook. That should be fun! :confused:

Thanks for your help

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

By VDU Im assuming you mean monitor? What hookups does your monitor have? DVI? (If its dvi, you will need a DVI to Mini Displayport adapter).

The keyboard will work fine.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Find out what inputs your monitor has. Most likely it has DVI, and if it doesn't have DVI, it will have a VGA connector. Then find out what connector your computer has. If you are a new Mac user with a _new_ MacBook then you will have DisplayPort on your Mac, and you need either a "DisplayPort to DVI" adapter or a "DisplayPort to VGA" adapter. If you have an older MacBook you may have a MiniDVI connector, then you need the "Mini DVI to DVI" or "Mini DVI to VGA" adapter.

2. Just plug the keyboard into the USB port of the MacBook, and it will work - except some Windows keyboards like the British one are different from the corresponding Mac keyboards. USB 1 or 2 doesn't matter.

3. If your monitor is a bit older then you will probably get something a lot better for very little money. 24 inch monitors with 1920 x 1080 resolution are very cheap and they make a world of a difference. So if you have an old 17 inch monitor, just dump it. Just my opinion :)