What can I do with my iPhone without a carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dadazz, Sep 28, 2010.

1. dadazz macrumors newbie

I live in Canada. If I buy a $769 32 gig iphone 4 from apple.com/ca, I won't be able to do anything significant on it until I sign up with a carrier, correct? Also, what would "jailbreaking" it mean? I mean, I know it unlocks the root folder, but what's the advantage of that?

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

If you buy it and haven't signed up with a carrier you can use it as a iPod Touch basically. Also if you jailbreak and unlock you can place it on any carrier, from my understanding.

3. nivekr11 macrumors regular

4. dadazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, so the only thing not functional is the phone function and 3G networking? Basically an enchanced iPod Touch?

To my understanding, a factory unlocked iPhone from Apple can be used on any carrier.

5. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Yes, iPod Touch with IPS display, GPS, and better camera. Also yes, an unlocked iPhone can be used on any GSM carrier.

6. dadazz thread starter macrumors newbie

That clears a lot of things up for me. Thanks. But about jailbreaking, what would that do besides just accessing the root file?

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

If you throw it just right, the smooth flat surfaces should allow it skip really nicely on a lake or a slow moving river.

8. rrider77 macrumors newbie

If you jailbreak it you can download cracked apps on it. You can also download apps that are not in the app store.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hmm.

AFAIK, you can't do anything with it (except emergency calls) until it's been activated at least once... or if you use a third party tool (like pwnage) to get past that.

Has that changed?

10. iPhonePhreak macrumors member

You can ask for a microsim card from a carrier of your choice or if they only give you a sim card you can buy a microsim cutter online (Ebay, Amazon, etc)

11. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Factory unlocked iPhones can be activated with any SIM.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much use it as an ipod touch.

13. dadazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I don't know - I'm considering buying one, but I need to get all the facts first before I dish out 800 dollars.

14. SoraLimit macrumors regular

That isn't what jailbreaking is about. But that's another argument. ;)

If you want to know more about jailbreaking, then go to modmyi. It's a more detailed community about the jailbreaking scene.

15. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Yes, it needs to be activated, but it's very easy to activate an unlocked iPhone. Just stick any microSIM in it, connect it to iTunes and a minute later, it's activated.

16. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Purchase

Please correct me if I am wrong. When a consumer purchases the iPhone 4, they must activate it at AT&T to be used properly as it is. Is it possible that a consumer could buy an iPhone without having to enter into an agreement and just enjoy the it for use of music?

17. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

The OP is Canadian and he is buying an unlocked i4 directly from Apple.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats possible.
    It can be bought full price without a contract but in the US it will still be locked and only work with AT&T sims.

19. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

I'm assuming it's impossible to do it in the U.S.

20. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

I can use it as an iPod touch but locked and only worked with AT&T sims. What do you mean locked and only worked with AT&T sims? Does that only apply to the phone part of the device or can I not listen to the music I sync on my computer through iTunes as well?

21. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I believe it's either impossible or very difficult. i believe they will ship only to Canadian addresses and bank information during payment must also confirm as Canadian.

22. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

In the US, almost all phones sold are carrier locked. That means you can only use the phone with the carrier you purchased it from. If it's an AT&T phone, you cannot use it with T-mobile and vice versa. Verizon and Sprint use different encoding methods, so their phones are completely incompatible with AT&T even if they were unlocked.

For iPhone, it's a bit more complicated because it has a lot of other uses besides just making phone calls. If you can get it activated, all you have to do is get your hands on an AT&T microSIM, then you can use the iPhone as basically an iPod on steroids.