what can i upgrade on my Quicksilver G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by austinsevo, Dec 19, 2008.

1. austinsevo macrumors regular

heres what i have right now.

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver
    867MHz PowerPC processor
    512MB PC133 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Superdrive (burns CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW)
    4X AGP NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX w/ 32 MB RAM
    IOmega 250MB ZIP drive built in
    Firewire 400, USB ports, 56K modem
    Gigabit ethernet
    Airport-ready
    Dual boot OS 9 and OS X 10.5 Leopard

2. svndmvn Guest

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/machine.php?name=powermac-g4-quicksilver2001
    check that out.
    I have the same 867MHz Quicksilver, Love it, but my GFX card sucks, I'll change it one day, I'm getting a macbook again though, sold the rev A.
    I'd suggest you start with your RAM, taking it to 1.5GB will make a ton of difference, the GeForce depending on what you do,same goes for the HD.
    Eventually,you can change the processor as well:)

3. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

can i go with anything faster than PC133?

i was also reading i cannot upgrade the HD to anything bigger than a 120GB HD.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

GigaDesigns used to offer some advanced G4 processor cards that might be compatible with your G4 system, increasing the clock speed upto 2Ghz but it all comes at a price. However, GigaDesigns ain't in business anymore but that doesn't mean you can't find some of their hardware floating around various auction houses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. MacVidCards Suspended

Actually they never did.

They had G4s.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Whoops clumsy me, typo! :eek:

7. California macrumors 68040

California

Your hard drive looks little and slow. You'd be surprised what a ram and hard drive upgrade could do for you.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Guess the OP could install a SATA PCI card and upgrade and update those drives... though I doubt it'll speed the system up much, the logicboard's bus speed is still slow.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You have the 2001 version so any drive larger than 120 will not be fully reconignized unless you purchase a PCI IDE or SATA controller. Only the 2002 and up Macs support 128gb+ drives. Like said before, buying a PCI SATA card would probably be your best bet since SATA drives are faster/larger/cheaper then IDE/PATA drives.

You could also pick up a 9800 Pro AGP video card as that will speed things up for you too. I don't think the stock card supports Core annimation but the 9800 does so a lot of your graphical stuff will unload that to the GPU freeing up your CPU making things a little faster. Also you will get some new eye candy too with the full Core image support.

10. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

ah ok more questions.

1. Will this card work for upgrading the hard drives? i have a few of them laying around. Or are only certain ones compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124001
    2. If i use a pci ide/sata card will that allow me to break the 127GB limit on HD space?
    3. Do i need a special Mac certified hard drive? or will any work as long as i have a working PCI card?
    4. Will any 9800 PRO AGP work? or is there a special mac edition?
    5. Will this ram work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...1451&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching
    6. Can i go faster than PC133 RAM?
    7. i have a CD/DVD-RW DL burner laying around, can i throw it in the G4? its a sony.
    thanks! im a noob i know..

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

1. I'm not sure, it doesn't say anywhere that it'll work with a Mac.
    2. Yes using a compatible PCI 64bit card will remove the 128gb limit of hard drives.
    3. Any IDE/PATA hard drive will work. Make sure you format it with an Apple partition Map and enable Journal.
    4. Any Mac one would work. I have flashed PC 9800s fine and used them in my G4s. Note that any 9800 Pro with a red board is a PC card, if it says it's for a Mac, then it has been flashed. You can find PC 9800 Pros for under $20 on ebay. Expect to pay at least twice as much for one with a Mac rom on it. This is known as the Mac Tax ;).
    5. I'm not 100% certain as it's High-density. Make sure it's Low Density as it's more compatible. I think I remember hearing some success with High-Density modules in a G4 but you can never be 100% sure.
    6. PC133 is the fastest memory you can install. Faster DDR modules won't physically fit anyways. You can use PC100 as well.
    7. You should have no problems installing that DVD-RW. Mac OS-X will recognize it and without any additional software needed so you can Burn within the OS-X.

Everyone's a noob at least once ;)

12. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

ah thank you!

okay so i found a few AGP video cards laying around... an X700 and a FX5500. can i flash either to make them work?

as for the PCI IDE/SATA controller, i noticed 32bit cards fit. it appears the board was made for using some. But ive tried 3 different ones so i take it it "HAS TO BE" a 64bit card.. e.g. the long ones.

also i have a question about the PSU that comes with the mac. is it adiqute for supporting more hardware? like memory/hard drive/controllers?

13. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

AFAIK, those cards are not flashable to work in a mac. But the 9800pro IS, and quite readily available for ~$80 or so.

For the controller card, you MUST have one built for macs with the appropriate firmware or it wont work.....just go to macsales.com & caugh up the $65 for a SIIG, Sonnet, or Firmtek SATA card & drive(s)......I've used all 3 in my QS nottaproblemo. And it DOES speed up the system too :p

The stock PSU is fine. My QS has 1.5 GB of ram, DVD-RW, the 9800pro (which requires a power feed to work) plus a SIIG 4 port SATA card, USB 2 card, 4x 10,000 rpm HDD's, AND 2 extra fans nottaproblemo for over 2 years now...........

14. MacVidCards Suspended

The FX5500 might very well be flashable into a Mac card.

It is for all intents and purposes a 5200, hence we wrote a ROM for it.

Look for info at usual spots just sub 5500 for 5200

15. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

would a better upgrade be to the 9800? or will the 5500/5200 do the job?

16. MacVidCards Suspended

The 9800 will e MUCH betyter crd.

THE 52/5500 was Core Image compliant. but just barely

17. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

also is there much benefit from IDE to Sata? im not talking about raptors.. just 7200rpm 16 or 32mb cache satas.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SATA > PATA.

Faster data transfer speeds, effectively faster performance. Though you are limited by the relative bus speed of the Quicksilver logic board.

19. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

right thats what i mean.. i know on a modern system going from IDE to Sata is a big differense.. but i have 2 IDE HDs laying around at home. Is it even worth it buying 2 new sata's just for the mac? will i notice any difference?

also where do i mount the 2nd HD? i didnt see any mounts for it in the case.

EDIT: i think i found a link.. http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/install_third_ata_drive.html

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To be honest, disk speed is not a serious limitation on those macs (I have the same one, heavily upgraded at home). RAM + processor is about the best you're going to get out of it.

The 2nd disk goes above the 1st disk in the tray it's sitting in. And 2 more disks can go to the left of that.

21. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

about the disks.. it looks like my only option is to lay it on top of the first disk.. no mounting available.. I looked on ebay for trays but not sure which one i would need.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The tray that comes with it should have walls slightly taller than the drive that in there, and have screw holes on the sides.

23. austinsevo thread starter macrumors regular

nope, it appears to be screwed to the bottom of the case.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It doesn't look like this?
    This is from a Quicksilver I have in my office.
    Every Quicksilver (20+) I've ever come across looks like this..

Attached Files: