Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I have been waiting patiently for the new ATD to debut but with the announcement of this LG display and its potential price point being around $1300 it seems like a great option.

It has speakers, USB 3.0 and thunderbolt 2.0. Apart from having to charge with a separate cord what advantages does the ATD still offer over something like this?

Sorry for the newbie question, I get all the various inputs and protocols and resolutions all turned around.

http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-34um95-219-but-bigger

031.jpg

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It can't charge your Macbook. But when used with an iMac or Mac Pro, that advantage has little to no value.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Looks very interesting! One thing missing is the gigabit Ethernet port, but a dongle on the second TB port would fix that.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I know there is another thread, I am just curious how this would stack up as a MacBook Pro "docking station / monitor" featurewise compared to the ATD. seems the only significant difference is the charging.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
can it multiplex FW 800, USB2 (or 3), and ethernet onto a single TB connection towards a Mac? If not, it is not a TB dock like ATD.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
well this is totally premature as it isn't available yet and we don't know pricing but I am not sure how important that is to me, or if I understand what that would offer me.

I currently work on my rMBP off a Rain Stand with a mac keyboard and magic pad and just plug in a hard drive and power cord when I get home with my laptop. I would love to hang all the peripherals off the monitor and just connect the power cord and a TB2 cable to the rMBP when I get home.

Could this do this or would I need a TB2 hub?

rjbenson83

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
Atlanta
well this is totally premature as it isn't available yet and we don't know pricing but I am not sure how important that is to me, or if I understand what that would offer me.

I currently work on my rMBP off a Rain Stand with a mac keyboard and magic pad and just plug in a hard drive and power cord when I get home with my laptop. I would love to hang all the peripherals off the monitor and just connect the power cord and a TB2 cable to the rMBP when I get home.

Could this do this or would I need a TB2 hub?

it can do that

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I know there is another thread, I am just curious how this would stack up as a MacBook Pro "docking station / monitor" featurewise compared to the ATD. seems the only significant difference is the charging.

Actually, it's uncertain what this monitor does over Thunderbolt. If you look at the pictures, it not only has a bunch of USB ports on the back, but it's got a USB 3.0 input. So, does it require a USB cable running from the computer to the monitor for its USB hub to work, or does it run off Thunderbolt with a built-in PCIe to USB host controller? Perhaps the USB 3.0 input is for when/if you're running the display off plain old DisplayPort and not Thunderbolt.

So, details are presently unknown.

I still think the monitor is gorgeous.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I really want this monitor. Any news on UK availability?

----------

Actually, it's uncertain what this monitor does over Thunderbolt. If you look at the pictures, it not only has a bunch of USB ports on the back, but it's got a USB 3.0 input. So, does it require a USB cable running from the computer to the monitor for its USB hub to work, or does it run off Thunderbolt with a built-in PCIe to USB host controller? Perhaps the USB 3.0 input is for when/if you're running the display off plain old DisplayPort and not Thunderbolt.

So, details are presently unknown.

I still think the monitor is gorgeous.

It has 2 x TB ports for daisy chaining, so I am hoping that it does have a PCIe to USB controller and the USB 3 input is there for backwards compatibility. However, I can't quite see how that would work technically.

30.jpg

Last edited:

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Going to subscribe to this thread. I'd actually prefer the 29UM95, but I wonder if it'll be cheaper or more expensive. Can't see that it's available anywhere just yet, however.

rjbenson83

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
Atlanta
Going to subscribe to this thread. I'd actually prefer the 29UM95, but I wonder if it'll be cheaper or more expensive. Can't see that it's available anywhere just yet, however.

Based on European prices the 29 will be a few hundred cheaper.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I really like this monitor, I just don't know what kind of performance I will get with my 2012 rMBP and 2013 iMac. I will wait and see what people say once we get some reviews. I will pick one up if everything appears to work with my existing hardware.

I guess the pre-order price on Amazon is probably not what Amazon themselves will charge? It seems a bit higher than I thought, but I guess it is grey-market as someone said in the Mac Pro thread.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I also need clarification on this:

"MAC PRO®
The 34UM95 is Mac Pro® supported. The two original programs, the 4-Screen Split and True Color Finder, are ready for dedicated Mac Pro® users. Sync your Mac Pro® with the best monitor for professional graphic designers and other Mac Pro® professionals"

I have a full boat Haswell rMBP and am curious what the Mac Pro have to interface with the monitor that the rMBP wouldn't

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I have been waiting patiently for the new ATD to debut but with the announcement of this LG display and its potential price point being around $1300 it seems like a great option.

It has speakers, USB 3.0 and thunderbolt 2.0. Apart from having to charge with a separate cord what advantages does the ATD still offer over something like this?

Sorry for the newbie question, I get all the various inputs and protocols and resolutions all turned around.

http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-34um95-219-but-bigger

Maybe higher resolution:

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/2...m-auo-spark-speculation-of-4k-apple-displays/

But honestly, you maybe waiting forever as there may not even be a 4k ATD.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

"MAC PRO®
The 34UM95 is Mac Pro® supported. The two original programs, the 4-Screen Split and True Color Finder, are ready for dedicated Mac Pro® users. Sync your Mac Pro® with the best monitor for professional graphic designers and other Mac Pro® professionals"

I have a full boat Haswell rMBP and am curious what the Mac Pro have to interface with the monitor that the rMBP wouldn't

I suspect the rMBP work just fine.

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010

"MAC PRO®

Does anyone have any idea how this "4-Screen Split" feature works?
Is this a hardware feature (e.g. the 34UM95 actually looks like 4
individual monitors to the OS so the video card must be capable
of driving 4 individual displays) or is it a software feature (a software
driver that emulates 4 screens on a single screen)?

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I seriously think I will be picking this up. 5 to 15 days is right around the corner. Tired of waiting for the TBD2 and this thing is straight up beautiful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.