What can the iPhone do that it's competitors cannot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elhomero, Mar 19, 2011.

1. elhomero macrumors newbie

Note: I hope this doesn't turn into a fanboy debate

The iPhone 4 is my first smartphone, when I got it on the launch day some of my friends were like "awesome phone" and a small but very vocal minority "lol, iPhone sux".

They have older android phones and they always said crap like "oh my phone can do it, etc".

One thing I never understood was, out of EVERYTHING of the phone, they kept bashing me was "oh you have to pay for apps". Doesn't the android marketplace have apps you need to pay for?

I'm just wondering, what does the iPhone do best or exclusively that the competition can't so I can finally stop my friends from being an ass each time I take out my phone? (I love my phone especially after I jailbroke it)

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

who cares. use whatever suits you. gibson or fender?

if you are productive with it, and like it - who cares what your 'cool' friends think

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

tell them ... the battery will outlast anything they own

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

You shouldn't really care what they think. People with insecurities are normally the ones that go around trashing phone brands. If you like the Apple iPhone, then great. Don't let other people make you feel differently.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's a phone, who the ******* cares which one you use?

6. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

You pay for apps that don't force close on you all the time, and send your info back to Google. Worth it IMHO.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, use what works best for you and makes you happy.
    There will be people with other phones that will always think theirs is the best and yours sucks etc....

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Theres so many pros of the iPhone that you can use against them, that its not even worth spending the energy talking about it. Just be like "oh k" whenever they say something. You know what your phone can do so, so that's all that counts.

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.

For example, for me iOS really "sucks" because it has no notification system, so i'm forced to jailbreak to enjoy some notification-like system (though horrible, but at this point i'll take what i can get).
    That also goes for a Multasking ON/OFF button.
    Things like this that should've already been in iOS.
    For me the bigger issue is iOS, and smaller screen. That's my opinion, don't sweat it.

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Blade Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

What it does over the competition?

Syncs natively with iTunes.
    Integrates itself into Apple's software/hardware ecosystem.
    It has literally thousands more applications available compared to the competition with man exclusive applications.
    FaceTime is currently exclusive to Apple (although they did promise to release it as an "open standard").

If people really are criticizing you over a phone you should simply tell them to "get a life" as whatever phone you own has no baring on what anyone else thinks of you.

If they think piracy is a plus to android then explain to them that they are effectively killing the development community and putting developers off of developing for Android by stealing their hard work.

11. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's hard to answer to such a question.

Basically NOTHING, but when I speak about user experience, nothing can match my iPhone

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a sense it an apples and oranges kind of comparison. While the iPhone and android are competitors they quite different. The iPhone does some things better as do android based phones

You buy the platform/phone that best suits your needs

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I agree with that. In my case I am looking at the Dell Streak 5.
    Why, I want a larger screen, itunes isn't important to me, currently have 154 apps on my itunes and the vast majority or something similar are available on the android platform.

15. JohnBossu macrumors member

first, its the stunning retina display,
    second, the battery is awesome.
    third, its simple, yeah I love simplicity thats why I go Apple for the first place.

16. JulianL macrumors 65816

What dumb comments some of your friends were coming out with. You don't have to pay for apps on the Apple app store, there are loads that are free. Apple even have two separate chart (most popular) listings, one for the top paid apps and one for the top free ones.

I don't know about the Android store because I've never owned an Android phone but I think I read in a few places that a lot more of the apps on Android are advertising funded. If that is the case then I'd hate that because what it's saying is that I don't have the choice to pay money to get an ad-free version.

I've never understood a lot of people's view about app pricing. Loads of apps are $1 and I see so many reviews around saying that $2.99 apps are overpriced. $3 for goodness sake! If an app has any sort of quality, has reasonably regular updates, and does something non-trivial then I struggle to see how the developer doesn't dseserve to be paid $3 for it let alone $0.99.

- Julian

17. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I wonder if we should comvince you rather then your friends ? You should get what you like and works for your situation.
    For example you live in a house out nowhere with no drive way buy a dirt road .............would you get a low to the ground sports car ? or a SUV ?

18. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hahuhahah, what the **** is that? An animal?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While the battery doesn't suck, there are a number of android based phones that have similar battery performance and they all are removable.

20. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

- Retina display
    - iTunes synchronization
    - Battery life
    - Volume control from your Apple headset
    - Appearance
    - Larger app store/developer base
    - Noise canceling mics for call quality
    - HD video editing with iMovie
    - More aftermarket accessories
    - More polished OS

Those are the first things that come to mind.
    Notice I'm posting from an Android right now..
    I have both an iPhone (work) and Android (personal).
    Android is nice for customizing, hacking and you have hardware choices (different models).
    I also prefer the web browser on the Android.
    However, the iPhone, IMO, is a better overall device.
    To each their own.

[sent from my android]

21. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

22. naths macrumors 6502

23. YoungLew macrumors regular

There's nothing the iphone can do that its competitors can't in some way or another.
    In fact there's things its competitors do that the iPhone can't. (Nexus S NFC and Atrix Laptop docking for example)

The thing that puts the iPhone above its competitors (In my opinion) is it's ease of use and the smoothness of the OS.

So effectively it's not what it does, its how it does it.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Both! They have unique tones, and a serous guitarist should (imo) own one of each at least...nothing sounds like a les paul, and nothing sounds like a strat!

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Tell them:

"Well, I like that I can pay for Angry Birds to get rid of the annoying ads. Or I can get the free one if I prefer that. I like having that choice, it's too bad you don't have that option."

It really makes their little 'Android is open' heads spin.