Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I would buy a new stereo for my car. My car has a Cassette player in it for connecting that way but its kinda crappy. Also don't no how this would effect my 6 disc CD changer in the center console.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I strongly suggest the parrot mki9200.

It is a handsfee kit. It installs on most head units. It displays album art, charges your phone, and even accepts thumb drives. Installed the thing costs maybe $300.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I strongly suggest the parrot mki9200.

It is a handsfee kit. It installs on most head units. It displays album art, charges your phone, and even accepts thumb drives. Installed the thing costs maybe $300.

This looks really cool. I'm curious about something though, how does this integrate with maps? I'm thinking that I'll probably purchase that TomTom app or something like it so ideally I would want that to also go onto the screen. Is it possible to see Maps right now?

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
This looks really cool. I'm curious about something though, how does this integrate with maps? I'm thinking that I'll probably purchase that TomTom app or something like it so ideally I would want that to also go onto the screen. Is it possible to see Maps right now?

It does not show maps. Or video. The screen is only half the size of the iPhone screen, so it really would not work for maps. If you plug it in, it shows your playlists, and loads the album art of the song that is playing. If it is not plugged in, it only plays music via Bluetooth, so you cannot skip tracks until apple makes some changes.

Some more details:
There is a little round knob with a few buttons that mounts to your steering wheel or dash, then the screen that mounts wherever you want, and a double mic, that they usually mount above your rear view mirror. By the way, this thing has very accurate voice dialing.

ReleasedAce

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Have a pioneer deh-p410ub and I love it for my iPhone just plug in and scroll through artist albums or songs with ease all I've used it pioneer and I love it the new models have even more features for iPhones

demiurgical

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
NYC

I actually considered the Boss Audio 750DI for like 20mins when I first saw it for a good price online. Then I thought, what's the chance of me not removing it from the "dock" while I'm in the car, to SMS or check email, using Google Map, etc. So I changed my mind.

Since I wasn't really looking for a new car stereo head unit in the first place, but I needed an iPhone car charger and for a little bit more I can get one that plays music through the dock connection and saw the Pioneer DEH-P40001HD. I would normally go for much pricier units, but currently with the car I'm using it's fine. P4001HD package also includes the HD Radio tuner unit. I ordered from Crutchfield since with the extra items they included for installation that I need anyway it came out to be a good deal.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TtErGk...Package.html?c=3&tab=other_items&viewAll=True

Overall I'm happy with this unit. The USB connection is in the back of the unit and it came with an extension cord. So you do need to route the extension cable to somewhere you can access after the unit is installed. I just plugged an extra iPhone cable I have into it and it worked fine. You can set to have the unit control the iPod/iPhone, but it locks the iPhone and you can't do anything. More suited for iPod/iTouch. I set it to let the iPhone have control and it just plays whatever I play on the iPhone through the dock connector, and yes it charges it at the same time. The multi directional control knob took me a bit to get used to, but once I have all my "settings" in I don't need to fidget much with it anyway besides just adjusting the volume.

livingonvideo13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I bought the sony 3700 since it can do bluetooth and has a USB port on the front that you can connect to the ipod. The bluetooth sounds great but it does have very small noise if you crank it up all the way and the ipod is playing a silent part of a song. You really have to try and pay attention to hear it. When music is playing, you can not hear the extra noise. When you have it connected via USB, there is zero noise but for some reason the EQ is slightly different and I prefer the sound of the bluetooth but both sound great.

One nice thing is when the iphone or ipod is connected via the USB cable, you can press on a button on the radio that allows you to switch between controlling it from the receiver or controlling it from the iphone so you can pick which method you want to control it from.

The 3700 also has sub out RCA jacks and you can control the cross over on the receiver to fine tune it.

I have been real happy with the 3700 and you can pick it up at wallmart for $188.

One thing I really don't like is when you turn off your car, it makes a series of beeps to "remind" you to take off the face plate. It seems you can not turn off this "feature" and it gets old very fast. Also I wish they put another USB port on the back side so I could run my cable without it interfering with the front.

A picture of the bluetooth playing in my car. I mostly use it in this mode.

sony-3700-01.jpg

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
I just got the Alpine CDE-103BT (with the optional 433i high speed iPod/iPhone cable) - it's part of Alpines "Made for iPhone" range. It has built in Parrot bluetooth for handsfree calling (including addressbook access and recent call listings) and the highspeed cable connects at the rear of the unit for neat integration into the glovebox or similar (mine pops out under the dash and comes up to where my mount is located - just to the left of the centre console). Music is accessed and controlled via the headunit (and my Navigon satnav audio also comes through the speakers) and naturally it also charges the iPhone.

As for mounts, I got one of the Brodit holders as they have a width-adjustable one that can accomodate an iPhone with a case. The Brodit holders are designed to be attached to one of their proclips - of which they have a whole range of car-specific options available (and normally several options for different locations in the car too), however I actually ended up bolting the holder to my old Nokia carkit mount as it was in the perfect location and was already screwed in behind the centre console on my car.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I have a standard CD Head Unit and plug in directly.

Pioneer DEH-P4000UB
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-P4000UB-Dash-iTunes-Receiver/dp/B0011ZN8O8

And my cradle:
Belkin TuneBase FM
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/533581/

If I could get a cradle like that without the fm tuner that works with the iphone I would get it...but this works for me. Short 6 inch cable connected the tunebase to the CD Head Unit.

Have a pioneer deh-p410ub and I love it for my iPhone just plug in and scroll through artist albums or songs with ease all I've used it pioneer and I love it the new models have even more features for iPhones

Do you HAVE to control the iPhone's music through the deck? I want a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB but not if i can't control music from the iPhone itself.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Interesting topic for me too, since I'm planning on upgrading my stereo this summer.

I'm looking for a unit that doesn't have a CD player, since I can't remember the last time I played a CD; I listen to NPR, baseball games, and my own music (and I can listen to the first two via my iPhone anyway ;) ). So I'd rather focus on getting the right iPhone/iPod interface.
Love my Alpine but it is a double din. I have the cable ran into the center console of my truck. Plug in my iPhone/iPod in the center console and control everything from the touch screen on the Alpine.
I've been reading up on this, and at first it looked promising, but all the user reviews I've read have complained that getting it to "read" the iPhone is a real issue. Some people have described spending the first five to ten minutes in the car trying to get them to connect correctly. Have you experienced this?

That looks good too.

@livingonvideo13, in the picture, it looks like the iPhone isn't charging. Is that not possible on your head unit?

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
i have an older Pioneer in my truck, its the deh-7900bt. works good on bt and i can stream my music as well. it came with an iPod adaptor (not usb). only draw back is at the time it wasnt "made for iPhone". i have a Kenwood DDX-814 in my other car and thats fantistic.

Be careful with the Pioneers as they can pick up road noise easily. Most importantly though MAKE SURE THE RADIO U GET SAYS "MADE FOR IPHONE" if it doesnt you will not get all the functionality u want with it. Also get one that has iPod controls, i.e. a 30pin dock connector not the USB port. those work alot better and ur music plays better through it.

Tubink

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Reading, PA
Am I the only person that loves controlling my music from my iPod through my car stereo? It looks streamlined with my iPod in my glove compartment, and all I need to take out is my head unit.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Am I the only person that loves controlling my music from my iPod through my car stereo? It looks streamlined with my iPod in my glove compartment, and all I need to take out is my head unit.

I am willing to bet it is much easier to navigate music directly on the iPhone (from my ProClip mount) than to use whatever monstrosity of an interface the head unit company came up with.

I don't care about Bluetooth (i have an ear piece), all i want is a head unit that will play/charge via USB (line out) and let me control the iPhone's music through the iPhone not the stereo.

upenox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2005
I have the Alpine IDA-X100 and I absolutely love it. It uses the USB cable, but put together with a Proclip it's amazingly convenient and looks great.

Attachments

• idax100.jpg
    idax100.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 288

ReleasedAce

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Do you HAVE to control the iPhone's music through the deck? I want a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB but not if i can't control music from the iPhone itself.

No you can under settings and have it where you do it from your phone and when you get a pioneer I suggest you get a higher model with the direct iPod connecter and also get a premier

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
No you can under settings and have it where you do it from your phone and when you get a pioneer I suggest you get a higher model with the direct iPod connecter and also get a premier

Direct connector? I wanted one with USB...is that what you mean? I currently have a Sony with front aux input, and want to switch to a USB interface for charging and line out quality.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I am willing to bet it is much easier to navigate music directly on the iPhone (from my ProClip mount) than to use whatever monstrosity of an interface the head unit company came up with.

I don't care about Bluetooth (i have an ear piece), all i want is a head unit that will play/charge via USB (line out) and let me control the iPhone's music through the iPhone not the stereo.

I really wouldn't call the Alpine series monstrosity's of an interface. Now the IVA-200 did have a draw back as the "back" button would only go to the top menu. The newer series I LOVE. I MUCH prefer to put my iPhone/iPod in my center console and control everything off the touch screen of the Alpine.

w9z983.jpg

iJules

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
I have always had really good luck with Pioneer. Personally, since I have a doubledin opening in my dash, I recently replaced the stocker with a Pioneer F700BT. It was $340 shipped or so because it has a CD slot drive, not DVD... but it plays movies through SD card or iPod/iPhone.

AVICF700BT.jpg

The bluetooth connects perfectly, even when the iPhone is in the glovebox connected to the stereo for music/videos. All controls are on screen.

This is not my car but an idea of what the on screen controls look like:

DSC04133.jpg

You can search albums, artists, playlists..and where the music note is actually where your album covers show up if you have them loaded for the song in particular. Works really nicely, and calls come through bluetooth.

ipod1.JPG

Not bad for a sub $400 headunit with full navigation and bluetooth built in.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I really wouldn't call the Alpine series monstrosity's of an interface. Now the IVA-200 did have a draw back as the "back" button would only go to the top menu. The newer series I LOVE. I MUCH prefer to put my iPhone/iPod in my center console and control everything off the touch screen of the Alpine.

w9z983.jpg

I wasn't talking about something that huge and inexpensive. For a 2 inch tall non-touch screen $120 head unit, i'm not expecting a great UI.

Tubink

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Reading, PA

Well my head unit has an IR remote that I can have in my hand and control it with. Pioneer sells a remote that clings to the wheel so I don't have to move my hands away from it. However I mainly listen to one playlist, so I hardly ever have a need to switch songs.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I wasn't talking about something that huge and inexpensive. For a 2 inch tall non-touch screen $120 head unit, i'm not expecting a great UI.

I wouldn't really call the Alpine IVA-505 "inexpensive".

Sadly the cost is holding me back from upgrading from my Alpine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.