Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I tried one yesterday, I can't bring myself to pay $35 for one. I ordered a Magpaul Field case off Amazon for a little more than half the price of the Bodyguardz Shock. I'm hoping it will be the perfect case for me.
I had the field case and wasn't a fan. It is very flimsy imo and stretches out over time.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I had the field case and wasn't a fan. It is very flimsy imo and stretches out over time.

Well that's not good news. Ugh. What are your concerns with cases? What do you like and what do you not care for? Also, what else have you tried previous to the Bodyguardz?

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Well that's not good news. Ugh. What are your concerns with cases? What do you like and what do you not care for? Also, what else have you tried previous to the Bodyguardz?
You name it I tried it unfortunately. I want a tight fit case with a camera hole that doesn't show the antenna lines.

I like the Thule, Speck Candy Shell grip and Otterbox Symmetry. I will say though that this is my favorite by far

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
You name it I tried it unfortunately. I want a tight fit case with a camera hole that doesn't show the antenna lines.

I like the Thule, Speck Candy Shell grip and Otterbox Symmetry. I will say though that this is my favorite by far

How about the MightyShell?

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL

Also, how about the Anker SlimShell? It's $10 on Amazon and it looks to be essentially the same design. I wonder what the quality is like and how it compares to the Bodyguardz. This is the one I'm referring to.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013WQ8K4G/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Went caseless today at the office and it was a glorious feeling. Damn the iPhone feels good in the hand.

Reactions: Six8

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I wanted solid protection, but not bulky. For both our phones (6S and 6S+) I ordered Spigen Neo Hybrid (clear and rose), it provides a pretty high degree of drop protection, shows off the design and is very cost effective. Combined that with Tech Armor screen protectors. Just about perfect.

Can you post some pics of clear and rose gold? That would be great. Does the rose gold match the Apple Rose gold color?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Can you post some pics of clear and rose gold? That would be great. Does the rose gold match the Apple Rose gold color?

Here's the Rose Gold Spigen on my wife's 6S - note that the sides are slightly tinted, but the back is clear - also the front has the Tech Armor which is very clear, and has the same tactile feel as the glass (it leaves like a 1mm space uncovered between it and the side of the case):

IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7733.JPG

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thank you! Is that the Neo Hybrid EX?

It's the Ultra Hybrid, here's the exact product link at Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B012PK0ZU2

$12.99, Prime (free one day shipping!), seemed like a bargain, especially with the really positive reviews. Neat side effect: the bumper glows with the flash/light on - it's a cool effect if you turn on LED flash or the screen on and sit the phone face down. Speaking of, it's got nice clearance between the glass the resting surface.

Mine is the same model, but clear (I can take a pic if you're interested). I actually wanted the clear gray, but it wasn't available until 2-3 days after I got my phone, figured this would do and provide protection OOTB (the clear was only $11.99 for the Plus, so I figured even if I only use it for a few weeks, it was still a decent deal).

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
It's the Ultra Hybrid, here's the exact product link at Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B012PK0ZU2

$12.99, Prime (free one day shipping!), seemed like a bargain, especially with the really positive reviews. Neat side effect: the bumper glows with the flash/light on - it's a cool effect if you turn on LED flash for alerts and sit the phone face down. Speaking of, it's got nice clearance between the glass the resting surface.

Mine is the same model, but clear (I can take a pic if you're interested). I actually wanted the clear gray, but it wasn't available until 2-3 days after I got my phone, figured this would do and provide protection OOTB (the clear was only $11.99 for the Plus, so I figured even if I only use it for a few weeks, it was still a decent deal).

I have the clear/white Tech21 case, but I am finding that it is adding more weight to the S Plus, how is the weight on yours?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have the clear/white Tech21 case, but I am finding that it is adding more weight to the S Plus, how is the weight on yours?

Weighed my phone, it's 7.9oz with the case according to our postage/coffee scale :) So the 3oz specified on Amazon is way off.

It doesn't "feel" heavy relative to the size if that makes any sense.

I had it out of the case for _maybe_ 15 minutes, so my experience with it, is in the case since we got our phones on Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxmatts

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I did try the mighty shell and liked it. However, the camera hole was getting close to the odd tech21 size, which is a bother to me.

Here is what the Tech21 Evo Mesh looks like on my 6 gold. The Evo Mesh has a smaller camera hole cut out than the older Classic Check model

49fef974e60a8bda3db1fa614a80f26f.jpg 94fc16bad35b6ad20088575e455ee787.jpg

Reactions: valinda

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL

I'm having the complete opposite experience with this Magpaul Field case I just got tonight. It fits really good and I feel it's just as protective if not more so then the Bodyguardz I tried at the AT&T store. I'm returning everything else I bought from Amazon and keeping this, may even buy a second one for safe keeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.