What case do you get for iPad 2017?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by j2ee, Apr 2, 2017.

1. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I went to Best Buy. The apple rep said the cases for the air 1 would work. I bought an otterbox case for the air 1 and it works perfectly on the new iPad minus the fact I can't use the fingerprint scanner. I have to double click it then enter my password.

3. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

A lot of air 1 case would not work because back camera and some keys position are little bit different.

4. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Midnight Blue smart cover on Gold iPad

No reason to have a back cover on an iPad or a case unless you have kids using it

5. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

If you dont care about scratches yeah

6. giggles macrumors 6502

I'd like to get a zagg rugged book for Air1 but I'm afraid of compatibility issues with
    - volume buttons (slightly farther apart on iPad 5)
    - speaker holes
    - camera? (is it different?)

a thread with confirmed Air1 cases would be very useful

7. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

camera position is little bit different as well, if the air 1 camera "hole" is big enough then it would still work but the camera would not be at the middle of the hole, it would be at the edge. I saw people post photos of it in a local forum.

8. giggles macrumors 6502

Ok the nice guys at Zagg support just told me that
    - their Air1 keyboard cases are not compatible with iPad 5 (honestly I'm not sure if this is just their official stance on the matter or if it's true, seemed rude to push the guy)
    - specific iPad 5 cases are coming but they wouldn't comment on when

Lack of cases is always an annoyance when a new ipad/iphone form factor is introduced...compared to how many amazing cases are available for the Air2 and Pro9.7...

Apple should have just unpolished the chamfered edges and leave everything else the same as the Air1..they're so close...

9. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

There are some cases for ipad 2017 in amazon

10. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

11. allanrab macrumors newbie

I just got a lifeproof nuud for the Air 1. Fits like a glove with the following exceptions.

As previously mentioned, no Touch ID.

Mute/volume buttons: Had to dermal down the inside of the mute button. When the case was sealed it constantly held down the vol up button. Three minute solution. Now I apply pressure to it to turn up the vol. The vol down button is actuated by the case's vol up button. Or, you could control volume through the screen.

The rear camera hole isn't quite lined up. I just checked, and it doesn't encroach on the picture at all. I wonder, however, if it's letting in all the light it should. Might break out the Drexel again.

Looks like the headphone jack isn't, again, quite lined up. There's a bit of the back case that goes right to the edge of the socket. I can get apple earbuds plugged in. With a 'snap'. And they took a bit of a yank to get out. Anything thicker; I doubt they would fit. If only I had a tool to shave that down...

And, it was only 23 bucks!

12. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

On the new 9.7 iPad vs. the Air 2, the biggest difference other than the thickness increasing is that they moved the microphones from near the camera and along the edge where the camera is located to the center. There are now two holes, one in the upper area near the top edge and one along the top edge center. Make sure with any "old stock" case you pick up, one of those holes is exposed. Or alter the case so one is. Moreover, make sure the thickness of the new iPad will work with the old case your interested in.

If you're interested in a case that doesn't have any of these issues and is designed for the new 9.7, I would have a long look at something like this...

New 9.7 iPad Folio

13. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i bought two different cases off Amazon that said they were designed for the new 2017 ipad. Neither fit. One was Poetic. Don't remember the other one.

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

What about a skin on the back? I have one on my iPad Pro for over a year. It has held up beautifully and keeps my ipad back pristine without adding any bulk.

For me, I always have a thin case on my phone as I use my phone on the move. I'm usually in one place or sitting down when using the iPad.

15. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

I bought armor suit full body clear protecter I'll put the back and sides but I'll trash the front and bought an temperate glass protecter which I'll put there and bought an apple red Smart Cover from Bestbuy (had to order online since no store had any new iPad covers) and bought adopted solo sleeve to carry my iPad on outside trips

16. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

I think some people really can never drop their phone, but I drop my phone at least 5 times every year, so I cannot use skin or hard case.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Since the new ipad is so cheap, I would just buy very cheap case. The case would be dirty and wear off after like a year then just buy another one. Tao bao china brand kind with ok quality is around 3 US dollars per one with cover kind.

17. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

what does that mean? it's still a high end device that i want to protect and keep in pristine shape.

i did buy a cheap ($7 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XV3SCXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) case on amazon that finally fits properly. tried 4 other ones that said they were compatible, but were in fact, not. i'll roll with this one until the major case makers roll out with their re-engineered models.

18. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

People call it Cheap Ipad. It is not high end at all, it is budget tablet.

19. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i paid $429 for the 128 GB. that's not cheap. now the $39 fire tablet i have for my kids -- that's a budget tablet.

20. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

For those ipad pro users it is still very cheap.

21. nnyymm macrumors regular

Still waiting for one from mainstream brands such as UAG or Moshi... It's taking too long!

22. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

23. nnyymm macrumors regular

24. Essaux macrumors regular

Pepitto origami cases are now out for iPad 2017. Owning one for my iPad Pro, I can highly recommend them.

25. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Their website is only showing a tempered glass screen protector when I just checked.