What colour should I paint my room?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kabunaru, Jun 23, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

Right now, my room is white and is filled with a couple Egyptian posters. I am getting bored with white and I think my room looks so empty with white.
    What's a good relaxing colour to paint a room with? Right now I am thinking: Light green, blue, light green with an accent black wall or royal purple. I, for some reason, really like royal purple and I am a guy.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

purple is a color of sexual frustration.

maybe not the color to paint your bedroom

dark blue with silver and sage gree accents looks wicked though.
    I am planning on doing my livingroom that scheme in the fall.
    with silver and black bookshelves

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you redo your walls, are you planning on redoing your other furnishings -- the wall hangings, the bed headboard/footboard, the bed coverings, any other furniture, etc, or leave them as is? If as is, perhaps you could start by posting a photo of what you're working with now, to get a better feel for your style.

Deep purple is probably a bad choice for a wall color, particularly for a bedroom. If you want it to be relaxing, you want relatively brighter, warm colors. Greens are supposed to be particularly relaxing and they're also gentler on your night vision.

And violet/purple is a fairly common liked color for men. It's the color kings wore after all. :p

Then again, being a University of Michigan alum, I am tempted to second Skunk's suggestion that you go for maize and blue. :D

5. minicoop503 macrumors regular

6. kabunaru thread starter Guest

No, just the walls but any other recommendations would be great too:

Attached Files:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really want purple, what you might try is to go for complementary colors on the walls and then have a few select purple things that pop out of the room at you. Red is not necessarily the most soothing color, but of bright colors, red is actually a good one and it does complement purple. Something in the caramels might be a really good choice -- those rich, redder browns stand really well against purple. Then look for perhaps a key wall hanging in that purple that you want, or bed covers. That way, you get the purple, but the walls themselves aren't so activating. You could also paint the four walls in different colors -- for instance, paint the wall where the head of your bed is in purple and complement the purple with another color such as caramel on the other three walls. This gives the room a lot of depth, and also you get an initial visual appeal of seeing the purple when you walk in, but you're looking at the other colors when you lie in bed.

If you want to really enjoy the colors in your room, what I'd suggest is to, either with your computer or perhaps with the paint color cards at a store, pick out not just the one color but about three or maybe four that work together. Then set out to do the walls in one or two of those colors and use decorations that feature the other colors.

For instance, in my living room (generally postmodern), I have a green sofa and a red chaise, and rich brown throw pillows. Those are the focal colors; there are other muted browns, golds, purples, reds, and greens, but you are supposed to notice those three colors right away.

In my bedroom (more contemporary, and slowly being updated), it's more cherry-stained wood and gold as my focal colors.

Now admittedly, pot calling the kettle black, I was too lazy to paint my new apartment, although I probably have about the right amount of stuff going on visually without paint. :eek:

8. Poeben macrumors 6502

Did you steal my room while I wasn't looking?

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

My preference, is bright white. Any furniture goes with it, and you need less light to see.

10. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I am definitely not going for white anymore. I also realised that royal purple wouldn't be a good choice either now.

11. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

how about a beige/sand color? i think that would complement well with the theme there and it's pretty neutral as well as putting some color in the room..

also, go to behr.com and look at colorsmart for some color ideas.

12. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I would paint all the walls cream (or something plain), except one. And then paint a feature wall with a nice colour, like brown, beige, green, or perhaps an eggplant colour.

I did my family/living room like this, with a light green colour on one wall, with some brown-framed paintings. cream leather couch, green/brown cushions on the couch...

compliment the feature wall with some similar colour items (cushions, paintings, bowls, vases, flowers, furniture).

I also did the same in the main bedroom (brown'ish wall), and in the home office (a blue wall).

I painted my entire cinema room (except the roof) in a dark eggplant/blue/brown colour

I don't have any good full-view pics, but here's a small snippit.

If your really stuck for ideas, go to your local newsagent and look through some 'house/home' magazines :) loads of ideas!

Attached Files:

13. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

If you like the Egyptian theme, sand would be awesome, with some gold/blue highlights.

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Agreements. I wouldn't go too dark or else it'll get at the very least subtly repressive after while. Dark colours are cool in small doses (the downstairs powder room, eg). The more time you spend there, the lighter I'd consider painting it.

Also, if the room is medium or small-sized, dark colours will make it appear much, much smaller.

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yea, I wouldn't go dark for a room like a bedroom. Besides, the darker the color the more imperfections are visible.

16. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I would like to narrow this down. My first idea was either light green, light green with a black wall accent or blue. Which would you guys think would look best for my room out of those choices?

17. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

haha i'm in the same situation. Mine is a creamy color right now. After looking through the Post Your Setups Thread..lol, i've concluded that i'm going for a dark blueish wall.

18. zebraman macrumors member

Dont go to crazy with the gold... yellowish colors are known to drive people crazy for a while

19. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

no black walls, i personally think that's a bad option. frankly, i don't think any of those options are really appealing, at least to me. but out of the three, a light blue color may work.

i'm still sticking to my sand color for my pick.

20. kabunaru thread starter Guest

All right, I am considering either light blue or light brown (sand) colour now...
    Can't seem to choose and make up my mind...

21. The Doctor macrumors member

The Doctor

paint it dark green and light green, like an avacado... that's how my brother painted his room, and it looks awesome.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So what's dark purple.......sexually retarded?

Anodized aluminium has been the look since 2002, although a mustard yellow may also serve you well.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

24. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Hey, no insults. :(

25. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

yuck.

that dark red room is going to be very dark, especially if you don't have alot of light in that room (my current room was previously a dark red and it looked depressing). although the orange with white trims could work...