What convinced you to Apple?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sukanas, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

mine was when right before the new aluminum iMacs came out
    but what was the most interesting part was i really got into macs when i saw the keynote on iLife08...

not even leopard or iphone was the thing that convinced me... when i first saw ilife08, i thought it was amazing. or maybe steve jobs was just charasmatic in presenting his keynotes...

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

System 7 looked interesting, so I got a mac. As "great" as windows 95 looked, I saw no reason to switch and I've been on the bright side ever since the early 90's.

3. Dany M macrumors 6502

The simple, fast and effective OS along with the software they have and the imacs cleanness

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah the OP is a new baby in the Mac world. I left Windows back in Win 98 and switched to the Mac OS when it was Mac OS 8.5. No offense but I think the "true switchers" are the ones that went the Mac way before OS X or Intel as these two concepts are what are bringing newer people to the Mac because of their enhanced abilities.

I was at CompUSA one day and saw the Macintosh and the other side of the store were Windows 98 PC's. Internet Explorer was on both however the Mac version of I.E. looked graphically better and had more features than it's Windows cousin as well as Mac Office which was better. I figured if Microsoft can make the Mac versions of their software better than for their own OS the Mac must be worthy of them doing so. I immediately bought a Mac and sold my Windows 98 PC and I have lived in heaven since. :D

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Same here...

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

The first sighting of a iMac G4, start of a long road to finally affording the MacBook of today about 6 years later. I was only 10 at the time so hence the long saving period.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

Jobs hypnotizes me every keynote speech. Apparently it works

9. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Plus my Dad had (and still has) an iMac G3, which I played Bugdom on when I went to his house, and I liked his iBook G4 when I used it when visiting him one time. Of course, I was still a PC user then so didn't really get it, and thought that by removing iMovie from the dock (accidentally), I'd deleted the program. But I was wrong :D

A Film Maker I looked up to/aspired to be like got an iMac and I thought it looked really cool. And I was speaking to the admin on his forum, who also had one and I he showed me the Apple site...

But I think it was the latter that really got me into them. So I spent 9 months saving and eventually my iMac turned up on my doorstep :D

Now to get more! Ahhhh! Playing Pokémon as a child has made me want everything so much :(

10. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

if only i wasnt so brainwashed w/ PC (im 18 btw). my older brother always used pc and i barely knew macs existed. i remember seing the imac (first gen) at my school thinking it was so cool and sexy looking ( i believe it was OSX back then... was it?) but i guess i had to stick w/ the computer my brother was using.

i'm glad macs have now went intel allowing many apps to cross/integrate allowing many PCs to switch over without worries over compatibility.

one thing that amazes me most is how ahead apple is. all their features that VIsta is boasting about, apple already had it WAY before, AND it still looks better on the mac os...
    (ie. spotlight and expose)

11. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Jaguar or Jag-wire, after following OS X's development, I felt that with Jaguar it was time to make the switch. I bought a Ti-Book in 03' to suppliment my Windows desktop, two weeks later I ditched the PC tower and haven't run Windows at home since.

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Well I was reading a forum and people were talking about what browser they used... At the time I hated windows and used Firefox (of course) however someone mentioned they used safari. So I googled safari... I found that it was a Mac only browser (at the time) So I then looked for a safari skin of Firefox.

After growing on the safari theme, I began to look more into OS X (ex, as I called it then... forgive me) I loved the interface, I love that it was built on unix, I loved the stability, etc... I then skinned windows to look like OS X. At that point on I was set on getting a mac. I looked into getting an iBook, but I couldn't afford one at the time, so I bought a PowerMac G3 B&W for $50... until I blew it up by dropping a screwdriver on the logic board. :eek:
    haha

anyway, I bought another one for like $30 because I couldnt justify anything more expensive because I was working on getting a MacBook at the time.

Later that year I bought my MacBook, from that point on I was hooked! :p

FANBOY FOR LIFE! :apple:

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

working with windows all day long & thinking there's gotta be more to life than this

14. dhowse macrumors newbie

Vista was the last straw for me. I bought a brand new Lenovo X61 Tablet with Vista business around Christmas time. I spent two months trying to get Vista working how I wanted it to. Blank screen freezes coming out of sleep, dirt slow data transfer rates to my NAS, software incompatibility, etc..... And this was after the hallowed Service Pack 1 that would fix all problems. At this point I "downgraded" to XP and redid everything. Now I just had the usual XP problems/quirks. About this time Gates and Balmer come out and say that Windows 7 will be great and build off Windows Home server (that corrupts data) and Vista. At that point MS jumped the shark in my opinion. While they will still sell millions I think their market share will continue to erode and Apple and other alternatives are sure to benefit.In my opinion, the Microsoft era of dominance is slowly fading.

I've been a PC guy since DOS 2.0 and never considered the Mac (pre X86) a serious machine for everyday use. I was also annoyed with the proprietary nature of most things Apple. I stuck my toe in the water and got an Airport Extreme base station. Well made, decent configuration utility, readable documentation and amazingly fast. I was impressed. After using a friends Mac Powerbook, looking at the OS and doing lots of reading I sold my X61 and yesterday ordered a Macbook. I'm jumping ship.

15. timerollson macrumors 65816

16. NEiMac macrumors regular

I actually switched from windows to linux then to mac. What started it all was when I tried to upgrade from Windows 98 to ME, (which turned out to not be a upgrade) it crashed my computer so bad I had to take it in and have it fixed. Then viruses and stuff on xp pushed me over the edge. I switched from linux mostly cause there is always a application or something that doesn't quite do enough or isn't there at all. Other then that I love linux. Apple pretty much got rid of that problem for me. :D

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I first came across Macs when I did some programming work on system 6 on a Macintosh IIx (controlling water jet cutters), and, to be honest, I absolutely hated it because it didn't have a command line!
    I didn't really bother with Macs again for a long time until I got an iMac (ruby) for my Daughter as a first computer. It came with an early version of OS X as well as the default MacOS 9 and whilst OS X was ropey as hell I absolutely loved the fact that it was, effectively, Unix and had my beloved command line back.
    I then got a 12" PowerBook G4 to see if I could use it as an every day computer and haven't looked back since, although before the Intel transition I always had to keep a PC in hand too (I do a lot of Windows development too).

So, really it was OS X that persuaded me to move across to Macs (I've been a long term fan of Unix, Linux, etc) and the transition to Intel made it possible for me to run my entire company on Macs (we don't have a PC at all in the company), despite the fact that 60% of our work is supporting Windows systems :)

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

When I learned that I could use Apple in a sentence as a verb. ;)

Nothing convinced me really. I needed a laptop and that was what suited my needs at the time. Light and thin.

19. steeler macrumors regular

It was time to buy my first laptop. I bought the best available at the time => Powerbook G4

Better construction, lighter, and more features than comparable Windows laptops.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Mac user since the mid 90s. My father's place of business ran with Macintosh and be brought one home. Been hooked ever since.

21. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I started with OS9 at the beginning of college...for graphic design classes. I dumped my PC and got a Mac asap. That was 9yrs ago. I haven't looked back since.

It's funny, I'm not a brand loyalist to any other products out there but, I think I would consider myself an "Apple Missionary" ...spreading the good word to all my heathen-PC-using friends and family. I'm slowly converting them one by one.

Oddly enough, my right-wing friends consider Macs to be "computers for liberals." Wierd huh?

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Oregon Trail...... :D

Then Final Cut Pro and the fact that OS was just different from Windows.

Then as I got smarter and wised up to both Windows and Mac OS X it was the shear superiority of OS X (10.2 at the time) and the far superior software that can be run on it.

23. GuntherS macrumors member

At school, I have to use Windows every day for VB.Net programming and other Windows-only applications.

I fell in love with Apple products since the iBook/Powerbook G4. I thought I didn't need a Mac because I always needed to work with Windows. But in December 2006, I've changed my mind. I couldn't resist the iMac when I saw it in my local Apple Store. I bought one the day after I first saw it.

It's simply the best computer I've ever had. Now I'm thinking to buy my second Mac, a MacBook, for school stuff and on-the-road use. :apple: