What could be causing battery drain overnight?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cybrscot, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cybrscot macrumors 6502

cybrscot

Hello, I have a new iPod touch 4Gen. I do have wifi in my house. I left my iPod sitting on a chair almost fully charged and by morning it was completely dead. I didn't leave any music playing. Why did this happen? Are applications that are running and not "exited" still draining the battery? Or is the device constantly communicating with my wifi, even while I'm not using it, thus draining the battery? I do get push updates from Apps, but usually just one or two.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

What apps do you have running/installed?

how good is your wifi coverage?

3. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

AFAIK apps running in the background and wifi ON even if you do not use it actively can cause battery drainage. I turn wifi always OFF if I do not use it.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If the Wi-Fi toggle is switched to ON under settings, it will still drain the battery whether you use or not.

5. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Wifi drains battery a lot. It's usually updating and refreshing various things like the app store and if you have any other applications running in a background.

6. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

It's the Wifi. I just turn it off at night, but it's a pain in the ass when I forget.

7. patp Guest

i turned off facetime and it improved my battery life dramatically.

i didn't want to turn wifi on and off. i like the instant on ability of the apple products.

facetime turned off allows me to get almost 2 days of heavy internet use, music and video usage.

8. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

9. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

If going into settings and turning the wifi off is that big of a deal. Jailbreak your iPod And install sbsettings so you can turn wifi on and off with one button on the springboard