What could be the reason that there was no iPhone event in June 2011?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaiO89, Sep 1, 2011.

1. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

What could be the reason that there was no iPhone event in June 2011?
    Anyone have thoughts on this?

2. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The Verizon iPhone was released in early 2011. The white iPhone in April of this year. iPhone 4 still selling like crazy. iOS 5 being released in the fall.

Essentially all of these are good reasons. Honestly Apple didn't need to update this past summer because enough activity had taken place between the unveiling of iPhone 4 in summer of 2010 up until this past summer. Plus now the hype/anticipation for the next iPhone is off the charts. More so then it was this past June.

3. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I think they didn't debut the new iPhone in June because they wanted to see how many people would make the same thread on MacRumors asking other people why they think Apple didn't debut the iPhone in June.

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I may be a huge Apple fan, but I'm also a cynic.

Apple lost out on a LOT of 3GS sales due to the iPhone 4 being leaked, so I think they've left the iPhone 4 out there a little longer to "recoup" some of the previous generations losses, kind of like they're getting every, single penny possible from the iPhone 4 they can.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope...I seriously doubt that theory.

Isn't this post a few months late? Yes, everyone has thought about it and discussed it ad nauseum.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

Has absolutely no significance at all.

7. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

iOS5

My opinion...iOS5 was not ready. Can't release a new iPhone with half baked iOS.

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Enough to use a negative vote?

Childish system this forum uses.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nice childish way of assuming I voted negative.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Nothing childish about my reply, you need to look up the meaning of the word and learn the context it was used in. My reply was presumptuous, not childish ... if you REALLY want to get down to the nitty gritty of things here.

I simply do not believe the voting system, where people can essentially belittle the opinions of others who take the time to write posts here, is worthwhile or even productive. It does nothing but garner resentment and ill feeling at best.

If you didn't mark down my comment, then fair dues, I apologise. The nature and tone of your reply led to my presumption and subsequent response.

11. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I think because the software wasn't ready. Maybe it's because they were getting iOS 4 onto the iPad?

12. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

That makes a lot of sense, especially given the fact that not too long ago they came out with a new iPhone 4 commercial. I just hope they blow us all away with something good :)

13. macinnv macrumors regular

Good points. Another explanation could be the phone wasnt ready yet. Maybe they ran into issues putting the A5 chip into the phone casing. Or it could be to mix up the product cycle, move the phone release to a different part of the year for a reason not known.

14. stigzy macrumors member

Well one of the main reasons is the tsunami in Japan that delayed som iPhone parts :p

15. rattler macrumors member

There was an article here on MacRumors a few weeks ago that talked about the A5 overheating in the iPhone, but I think the main reason is the iPhone 4 is still selling pretty good so they're gonna wait a little longer to get more profits from the iPhone 4.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This has been my guess as well, since last year it took Apple 5 months to catch up the iPad with iOS 4 (iOS 4.2) after it was released for the iPhone and iPod touch, and now the Verizon iPhone 4 is running a version behind Apple's other iOS devices.

My guess is that the extra time needed is to ensure that iOS 5 can be released to all of Apple's current and future iOS devices at the same time.

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The iPhone 4 was rushed out and not tested properly and it bit them in the ass.
    Not in the pocketbook but in world press.
    Let's face it. Steve Jobs did not hold a special media event and give out three months' worth of bumpers for no reason at all.
    They fully recovered and then some but Apple is going to make damn sure this time that the next iPhone is as up-to-snuff as they can make it.
    Add to that manufacturing difficulties, part availability problems, new carrier negotiations, and the fact that the iPhone 4 is still the most successful phone in the world and that equals delay.

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Problem with that, is that if the iPhone 5 doesn't deliver some amazing advancements, there's going to be a lot of angry people. Apple better have a good reason for this delay, like a huge screen (that'd please my crowd) :D But I don't really have much hope for that :/

19. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm sure the good folks in Cupertino know what they're doing, but I have to say that with this much "delay" over the precedent they've set, we better seeing a monumentally fantastic handset, or some people may genuinely start looking at other platforms. The smartphone environment has changed a lot in the past year and a half, and now consumers are being faced with some real choices. I think if Apple had pushed out another iPhone with some minor upgrades in the summer, it would have sold as usual and life would have gone on. Now with this extra "delay", I think this phone is going to really have to be something. People will be expecting to get some really great features in exchange for the longer than anticipated wait.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I don't really have any trust in Apple's innovation nowadays... Just look at Lion and FCPX. I will most likely switch back to Android if the iP5 isn't a massive improvement. There are tons of people that share my opinion

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

If it has anything to do with the iPhone 4 it's because the white version was only released a few months before. Has nothing to do with the Verizon iPhone at all, I mean one carrier getting the iPhone 4 delays the iPhone 5 for the rest of the world? Yeah right. :rolleyes:

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Don't forget this is a Rumors Site, it could have been something as simple as the sun and moon not lining up... ha..ha..ha.. :)

23. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

One carrier in the whole country getting the iPhone? Yeah right. :rolleyes:

You have no idea what kind of deal Apple made with Verizon.
    No idea at all.
    If AT&T could get an exclusive multi-year deal then who knows what Verizon got.

24. shandyman Suspended

there's absolutely no way the Verizon release delayed the iPhone 5 for the whole world. it's down right ludicrous.

Apple just wants to line it up with the release of the iPods as the iPod Touch is generally the same specs as the new iPhone, i reckon there's a chance that the iPad will get shifted to it at some point too, means that their iOS devices aren't fragmented over the year when they're all running the same OS.

25. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I'm just waiting for the "next" iPhone to go to T-Mobile and iOS 5 :D