What current iPad users will get the 2nd gen??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iGuyiGuy, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Will you upgrade?

1. I will!

92 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No way!

51 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

I currently have a 16gig wifi and a 64gig 3G and have no plans to upgrade..

Of all the rumors of a front facing camera and maybe a bit speedier processor, is it worth it??

2. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I won't upgrade. Mine serves me just fine. Super fast and does everything I need it to.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do people ask this stupid question? I don't know... is it worth it to you? If you a) want a front facing camera and/or b) want a faster processor and/or c) want the latest and greatest, yes- it's probably worth it.

This isn't rocket science.

4. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Who knows as we have no idea what changes there will be.

Personally I don't think a simple hardware update will make me want to change. The only problems I have with the iPad are software related.

For example. . . . . Why Can't I save documents created in Pages on the iPad directly to iDisk? Would seem a simple enough function to implement?

As for cameras and RAM i'm not fussed.
    And there will be no change to the screen, i'm pretty sure of that.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

As a long time Apple customer, I've purchased each new PowerBook, now MacBook Pro as they are released. I do so because I'm very interested in staying current and for me it's worth it. Also Apples high resale values facilitate the process as well. I do the same with my iPods, iPhones, and I will do so with iPads as well.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

I sat on the fence for months before getting mine. Im sold, so Ill be updating next year. Its a great unit to have around and with family and little ones visiting all the time, I wont find my home system in a mess :)

7. lozpop macrumors 6502

8. felt. macrumors 6502a

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm sure Apple will be ready to build one when the time is right. But it's going to be a long time before 4g is a reality. A short time before it's announced. It's buyer beware 4g is a long way off from true functionality.

11. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Depends what specs it has... I really like the size of it so if they go and get rid of the current size to make it smaller I'll pass automatically..

As far as a camera for facetime, sure it'd be nice but I don't use my iPad for taking pictures or phone calls so that's not something that I would say "I have to have that on my iPad"..

I'm fairly confident the screen resolution won't change much if at all.. maybe they'll throw a few more pixels at it, but nothing earth shattering..

Ram and processor are the other 2 I'd be interested in, but so far my iPad is running iOS 4.2 very well.. I haven't noticed any kind of unresponsiveness or sluggishness..

Lastly, the "newness" effect.. sometimes that trumps all other reasoning!

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I cant imagine anything they would add that I need. Everything else will be gravy, and i can't afford gravy right now!

I'm not hung up on the retina display (found it hard to read actually, I'm sure i need new glasses), i have no one to video chat with, and I have the unlimited 3G at the moment. Life is good and paid for for! LOL!

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am pretty sure I will, Facetime and Speed are biggy for me

14. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I probably won't get the 2nd gen. I have a 2 year warranty so I plan on getting at LEAST 2 years of use out of this one. So far the only complaint in gen 1 has been the memory and wifi. I would rather deal with the issue of having to reopen programs that crash and dropping wifi (they are both annoying but still only minor inconveniences) than shell out another $600+. I'm not really one to resell my stuff...I usually pass it on to family members who aren't as gadget obsessed as I am but still appreciative.

Also I'm curious to see what the competition is going to be like around then.

Even though I say this though, I bet gen 2 will come out and I will say oooo pretty and impulsively save up and buy it. And this is why I hate Apple. At least I know a lot of people who could get use out of my current gen iPad if this happens though.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe. Depending on the state of my finance..... although that hasn't hindered me in the past ;) :D

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally in the last 12 months, I don't think Battery, CPU or GPU speed will have advanced THAT much to expect anything major.

Plus it's too soon to have 2 models an old and a new much faster model.

When the iPad is 2 or even 3 years old, then they may decide the time is right to take a LEAP of power and have two models to write for, with brand new games/apps that take advantage of the new speed whilst either not running or running slow on the old (current) model.

It's too soon to split the market like that.

I'm sure it's just going to be camera, ram and tweaking.

17. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I'm sure I will. Even though I just got mine I really wanted one with a camera and tried to hold off. But I bought one for the parents and liked it sooo much while I was preparing it for them I decided to get my own too. When/If a new one comes out with camera, more ram, etc. I'll get one and pass the one I have now on to my sister, niece and nephew.

18. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I will prob upgrade from my current iPad 3G to an iPad 2 wifi only. I regret opting for the 3g as I have an iphone 4 and can swap sims if needed (and use MyWi once I can jailbreak it). Main reason I will upgrade is that I cannot stand that my iphone is more capable than my ipad because of the ram. It realy pisses me off that apple would be dumb enough to include only 256mb. I am running iOS 4.2 beta right now, and while it works great, it cannot save the state of as many apps as the iphone can and it is quite obvious. I also hate hoe the Epic Citidel demo has better textures on the iphone because of its more ram. If my ipad had 512mb of ram, I wouldn't even consider upgrading for the facetime camera alone. There will not be a resolution upgrade, I know that. Tough thing will be deciding when to sell it befoore the new one arrives.....

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If it's got camera, which I'm sure it will, I definitely will.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't care about camera. I am very certain that iOS 5 will run great on current iPad. So, that pushes me all the way up to 2012 to get next-gen iPad. However, I think apple will also allow iOS6.0 to run on this iPad as well.

Bottom line, the only way I am going to buy another ipad will be for the better display. I am talking about either OLED or Retina Display. OTHER THAN THAT NO!

21. Scuby macrumors regular

Nothing i've heard people talking about on here would make me bother to upgrade. I have zero interest in cameras. I certainly wouldn't want a smaller one. Battery life is good enough that any extra wouldn't really improve the "experience" for me (but obviously if i was buying a new one anyway, more is always better for the same price / size / weight). Wouldn't bother with an update just for more RAM / faster processor unless i get new apps which start to lag on my current iPad - but have no speed issues with any current apps so no reason to upgrade (but, as with battery life, if i was buying new then more is always better for the same price / size / weight).

So, seems rather unlikely i'll be upgrading, unless i break my current one or something.

David

22. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Possibly, if Facetime supports 3G by then.

Otherwise - and withstanding some other amazing unthought of new feature - no.

23. gatearray macrumors 65816

How exactly is your iPhone more capable than your iPad?

Also, I think the apps themselves need to support "fast app switching" to save their states. Since all third party iPad specific apps have been programmed for 3.2 thus far, it's no surprise that they will not save their states on this beta OS. The system apps should work fine on 4.2...

And if you try running an iOS 4 app on your iPad the state should be saved. This includes an iOS 4 universal binary, as well.

24. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

My only debate is if I'll sell the 1st generation to get the 2nd generation.

I think it's a guarantee that I'll get the next generation if it comes in or around a 7" size.

Other than that, it may have to have a little more of something other than a camera to make me jump for it. I can count on one hand how many times I've used any of my webcams in the last 5 years.

25. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

No offense but I am not an idiot, I know that most apps are not written for multitasking yet. When I say more capable, I mean because of the ram. Even just fast app switching through a few compatible apps on 4.2, it will reach its limit and have to reload safari or Atomic Web pages (and I am not talking about tabs, but the main page). Trust me, it does not multi-task as well as the iphone 4 (thus me saying it is not as capable). Also for an app like Epic Citadel to already have to limit texture quality compared to the iphone, well thats just crazy to me that my phone runs it better than my ipad. Just not right (IMHO). I suppose you will see once you get your hands on 4.2.

I wish it didn't bother me, but it does.....