Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I spent the -set few days with my girlfriend in Ohio while my family is in South Carolina. I'm a big notes dame fan so her mother Ned step father got me some Norte dame shirts and a jacket, and she got me a fossil wallet along with a few other things. While her father got me a nice Columbia jacket.

I gave each of them a big drawing that I did myself since I love to draw and normally sell some artwork. And got my girlfriend a ring and a pandora charm.

Had a great time just Seeing smiles on everyone's faces while they opened the gifts going round :). Now gonna get to be with my family in a few days while everyone is still off

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Tumi back pack
Eddie Bauer jacket/coat
Ring :)
Glasses (cool ones) reading
Bondic (will come in handy/ have a few projects lines up)
Books
Makeup
Misc, chocs, gloves
No Apple gear but didn't really need anything.
Being with my awesome family!

Gave:
Lego
Wii U and games
Casio keyboard
Jigsaw
Books
Clothes.
A fun stuffed toy for our goofy dog

A LOT of stuff, but not the focus of the day.

Happy Christmas and a fantastic 2016 to all.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Got a Boss GT-100 guitar effect pedal, a wall clock, a bottle of good gin, a piece of wall art.

Gave a Sennheiser HD650, two Skagen watches and a bar utensil set.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
poopy presents wife and I got a Apple Watch
ac3cceae504767492921bb623038a21c.jpg
f783a2c9448808ea985a6a759203ac24.jpg
ef258e8c690edd231c452dff6586d263.jpg

Reactions: dec.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
when noting else matters, i'll never understand why people keep buying my clothes... i'm up to :mad: with clothes.

Give me money next time....

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
when noting else matters, i'll never understand why people keep buying my clothes... i'm up to :mad: with clothes.

Give me money next time....
I never saw the point of giving someone money as a gift (other than a wedding). If you're giving a gift for Christmas, you're probably also receiving from that person. If you both got each other money, why bother?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I never saw the point of giving someone money as a gift (other than a wedding). If you're giving a gift for Christmas, you're probably also receiving from that person. If you both got each other money, why bother?

Not necessarily.

For example, I daresay money gifts would be most welcome to a student niece or nephew, or offspring of a good friend - they wouldn't have much and you certainly wouldn't receive a reciprocal gift in kind (and nor should you expect to).

When you were a kid, nobody expected that you would - or could - or ought to - reimburse all of the relatives who showered you with gifts; as an adult, the gift giving tends to go the other way.

Another example I would offer on the matter of gifting money and this time with adults, would be the following scenarios.

Money is very useful as a contribution to something, perhaps expensive - that an adult might not choose to buy for themselves feeling that they could not justify the expense - or, they might not be able to afford buying for themselves. Some years ago, between jobs, I requested money towards the purchase of a good quality leather briefcase.

Another time, also between jobs, money was offered towards a foreign holiday I wished to take. Both times the money was very much appreciated, as my own means at the time were somewhat straitened.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

The idea, is rather than "ask" then before hand, "hey, what do u want for xmas" and the hope that their get your the "right" present your looking for, u u give each other money, then *both* of you will be happy regardless since u can each by what u want.

I know its not really the same as a present, but it's still *giving*. Better to have something u will like, than something u pretend to like, but really don't...

That's just me....... For example you tell someone to get you DVD+RW media, but they get u DVD-R media instead... so many times that has happened to me..... At the time of course i said "thanks great xmas present" but behind closed doors, i'm like ...."i don't like it. It's not what i asked." and if it was someting i really needed, then it's wasted because i cannot do anyting with them as i needed re-writable for a reason,

Thus... u give money.... u just solve the whole problem :D

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I got a taste of Christmas 1982. Working, non-landfill copy.

No ****, hahaha, very cool.

Have you seen the documentary, Atari: Game Over? About the design and urban legends surrounding the Atari E.T. game, really fun, some great interview time with
Howard Scott Warsaw, Nolan Bushnell (it's on Netflix).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Got:

£500
perfume
A H and M gift voucher
Sennheiser headphones
Two bracelets
A necklace
A new look gift voucher
Two handbags,
A pair of slippers
A Baylis and Harding gift set.

Gave:

Various gift vouchers
A bracelet
A Fitbit
A streaming device plus three months streaming service
Books
A Baylis and Harding gift set
**** gift set
The killing DVD box set
Various toiletries gift sets

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Got a Wii U (should be arriving within the next 1/2 weeks) and gave love and friendship to my friends and family because sadly I can't afford to buy anything physical. But probably should give a Steam game or something to someone.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
The idea, is rather than "ask" then before hand, "hey, what do u want for xmas" and the hope that their get your the "right" present your looking for, u u give each other money, then *both* of you will be happy regardless since u can each by what u want.

I know its not really the same as a present, but it's still *giving*. Better to have something u will like, than something u pretend to like, but really don't...

That's just me....... For example you tell someone to get you DVD+RW media, but they get u DVD-R media instead... so many times that has happened to me..... At the time of course i said "thanks great xmas present" but behind closed doors, i'm like ...."i don't like it. It's not what i asked." and if it was someting i really needed, then it's wasted because i cannot do anyting with them as i needed re-writable for a reason,

Thus... u give money.... u just solve the whole problem :D
Or just give them a card and buy yourself something. Is there an agreed amount of money you'd give someone so that you don't give less or more than what they give you? If you're getting a git from your parents and you are still in school then I'd see the point. But otherwise it's really just about you justifying spending a certain amount of money on yourself. Capitalism parting you from your money.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Since about three-quarters of my friends are either HIV+ or have AIDS, the snarkiness, while amusing, just slid on by.

It's an actual SNL bit, sorry you're so [or at least sound] miserable, hope your friends (really, 75% ?) are able to improve.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
As a positive contribution ... :)

My wife and I didn't do any "gifts", we took our annual Universal trip a few weeks ago and really had a blast, went out to a really nice dinner, and we made some semi-major purchases towards the end of this end (see The Car Thread :D), so we didn't need any things, stuff, or whatnot.

Our little G however, we made it super special for her, she's a smart, beautiful little sweetheart, so we got her most of what she asked for, really just some collectibles (Funko-Pops), a few Lego, a game, puzzle and her big thing was a Kayak for the beach (it's a small person version, should be a ton of fun in the tidal pools at the intracoastal).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.