What did you do to "deserve" your new Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psyichic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. psyichic macrumors newbie

Just thought I would start a thread and see how people have rationalized getting a new Mac. It's supposed to be more of a joke then a serious thread (For those of you out there who will probably mis-interpret it)

I am going to (in 2 weeks when I get my Mac) donate blood. Now I need an opnion. Should I donate blood to the Red Cross (My regular way) or to Children's Hospital where I work?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I deserved my new MBP because I didn't buy a new mac for a whole year. :D

Plus my main G5 died on me.

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I owned a PC for over 10 years with countless virus/bugs.

4. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

I vote children's hospital. I came 7th in my school, as in how well i did, merits and all of that. There are 1800 people in my school too. I think i deserved it

Also my old PC was dying, and once i got my iMac, miraculously got faster :rolleyes:

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

6. statik13 macrumors regular

I never worry about if I deserve a new toy. I just set a rule for myself saying I can buy absolutely any toy I want in the world at any time, but I have to do an additional payment on my mortgage that equals the value of the new toy first.

$1500 iMac = $1500 extra payment on my mortgage first.

Makes the toys very expensive, but my mortgage is now vanishing way faster then most peoples :)

7. summerhaven macrumors newbie

summerhaven

I've been a PC user for years, and have constantly fought crashes and viruses and malware, and so when I graduated from high school last year with honors I felt like I deserved something better than a virus-infested PC for a graduation present...and so here we are me and my :apple:
    ^__^

8. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Wanted to wait till the end of this year to replace my MB, which I bought at the end of 2006. But I rationalized back in March that the deals on the classic MBP 15" where so good that I had to buy now or pay later the same amount for a 13" MB. :rolleyes:

Oh .... and the fact that it was my 30th birthday. :eek:

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Love that idea might try it for retirement I will have millions!

10. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I deserve my Mac because I had to put up with Microshaft for 10 years. :)

11. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I just wanted a new computer and liked the unibody design of the macbooks, plus I had the money lol.

12. etherealsam macrumors newbie

Several reasons for me. I was just passed over for an IT job because of a lack of Mac experience, I've had a rough term in school, I haven't ever had a Mac, I graduate college in 4 months, I want to learn Final Cut, and I can afford one right now. I just picked up my 15" uMBP 2.8GHz yesterday.

I've had a PC since 1988. Time for a change. Not to mention the uMBP is just a beautiful machine. :D

Basically, I bought it because I wanted a Mac.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That's a great idea - I should do that with my student loans!

I "deserved" my imac (summer '08) because I graduated law school and could finally ditch laptops and go back to desktops. :)

14. hellrider macrumors regular

I deserved my Mac because I got a $20,000 scholarship ($5,000/year) to a top-notch college prep school.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My first macbook was because I got a new job.

I upgraded to the macbook pro because I worked so much (doubled my salary with overtime).

My latest purchase, a 2.8x8 mac pro, was because I got into Physician Assistant school and because I did some trades making me ~$1000. Also was a compromise with the GF to get rid of all my other computers and just have a MBP and MP.

16. cube macrumors G4

I held on to my Cube as only computer for almost 9 years, and Apple killed ExpressCard and removable battery in the 15" MBP.

17. illw!l macrumors member

My iBook is one month shy of being seven years old.

The 17" MBP I purchased is Apple's reward for making reliable products (reliable, at least in my own personal experience)

18. xlosltove777 macrumors member

That's brilliant, I might have to do that if in order to force myself to pay of my student loans before I'm out. I could do it, but I keep spending money on other things.

I got my first iMac as a "sorry for moving you to a whole new state" from my parents years ago. Then the macbook I have now I was finally able to get a job right before starting college. I used all the money leftover from paying for a car, gas, and books to get myself the Macbook. I just pretended the student loans for the tuition didn't exist :)

19. cryonicjim macrumors newbie

i deserve it because

i fix pcs for a living. its just painful.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

21. thedoctorlee macrumors newbie

thedoctorlee

I deserve a new mac because...

I deserve a new 13" mbp because my 12" iBook G4 (October, 2003) is on her death bed. I'm not a mac-a-month guy... I drive mine into the ground.

22. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Me: I am geek and don't all geeks deserve new toys every now and then :)

My Husband: Now I don't have to hear he yell " Honey, can you fix the f***ing PC again before I hit it was a bat"

Well when you think about it that two reasons for me :rolleyes:

23. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I buy a new Mac when the old one gets too slow, or when it's at least four years old (whichever comes sooner). Having stated that, I bought my current MacBook just over a year after I got the first 24" aluminium iMac. I got it specifically for college, to complement my iMac as a second machine. However, I found out I'm really much more a laptop than a desktop person (even though I've owned three iMacs). So the purchase of my MacBook is justified, also because I needed it.

When it comes to headphones, it's another story. After I successfully finished my first semester, I got myself an Audio-Technica ATH-A900Ti to complement my ATH-AD900. And now, at the end of my second semester, I'm planning on getting myself a Shure SE530 for mobile use, to replace my mediocre SE210. And yes, I might buy yet another in or after my second (and final) year.

24. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

25. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I deserve my new Mac because I got a $30,000 ($3,000/semester) scholarship to go to any college. I decided to pursue photography and teaching art. So I think I afford a new MBP. But my first early 2008 MacBook Pro was from working thru all of 11th and 12th grade year and wanting an Apple.