What did you do with your iDevices once you upgraded?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Solitude1984, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

What did you do with your iDevices once you upgraded to something new? Did you sell them? Did you pass them down to a friend or family member? Are they sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust? I'm interested. :)

iPod shuffle 1st gen -> given to my mom when I got the iPod Classic
    iPod Classic -> given to my mom when I got the iPod Touch 2nd gen
    iPod Touch 2nd gen -> sitting in a drawer somewhere (I got my mom an iPod Touch 5th gen, so she did not need this one)
    iPhone 4 -> given to my husband when I got the iPhone 4s
    iPad 2 -> given to my husband when I got the iPad 4
    iPhone 4s -> given to a close friend when I got the iPhone 5s

2. macigo macrumors regular

I had an iPod touch that I Craiglisted. Then I Gazelled my iPhone 5.

Seriously thinking of keeping the 5c..

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I sold all of them. Apple devices just hold too much value to give away.

iPod Touch 5th Gen 60GB - Sold to a coworker for $80 and upgraded to the 7th gen 160GB
    iPod Nano 3rd Gen 8GB - Sold on eBay
    iPod Touch 7th Gen 160GB - Took it to Apple on the last day of the warranty and got a brand new one, then sold the new on eBay
    iPhone 3G - Sold on eBay to help pay for iPhone 4
    iPhone 4 - Sold on eBay to help pay for iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S - Sold on Craigslist to help pay for iPhone 5
    iPhone 5 - Sold on Craigslist to help pay for iPhone 5S
    iPad Mini Wi-Fi - Sold on eBay to help pay for upgrade to iPad Mini w/LTE

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sanyo Katana - drawer in the garage.
    Four old flip phones, 2 from 1999 and 2 from 2004 in a box in the garage somewhere.
    iPhone 3GS (never my main phone, was given to me as a gift) - media device, games for the kids

HTC Touch Pro - used as external USB drive until donated to another Sprint user so they could keep their SERO plan.
    HTC Touch Pro 2 (wife's) - donated to another Sprint user so that they could keep their SERO plan.

I don't sell my phones. They are either put to a different purpose or if someone needs a phone (such as the SERO users) I give it to them. Never given an older phone to a family member though. We all have different carriers and different time frames and most of us are usually getting the newest phones we can. My sister in particular always wants the newest.

----------

LOL at this. Not laughing at you, because your statement is true. But I have an attachment to my Apple devices. I end up keeping them, even if I don't have a good reason to.

That and while they do hold value, I don''t use cases for my phones because I buy and use with no intent to resell, so the value of my Apple devices are probably much less than yours are when it's time to get a new replacement.

5. SONiC5, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

SONiC5 macrumors regular

I either kept them or gave them to family members.

1G iPod touch - my brother wanted it once I got the 2G iPod touch.

2G iPod touch - my sister wanted it once I got the iPhone 4.

My iPhone 4, 4S, & 5S are all in my possession, currently. And I forgot who I gave my iPod nanos to.

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Sold 1 iPhone 4, 1 iPhone 5, kept 1 iPhone 4 to use as iPod, etc.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Still have my iPod Mini which I retired after getting an iPhone 4, although still use it sometimes when going to the gym or for a run.

Sold iPhone 4 to get 4S, got 5s now and gave the 4s to my mom.

8. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I sold my first iPod, while the next ones are probably tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

9. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Not sure where my first iPod Shuffle is (the gumstick) or what I did with it. The 2nd (3rd gen nano) one I think got wiped and donated, the 3rd one (I forget which generation -- the lil square) was sold to a coworker for like $80 when I bought my new car that has bluetooth & syncs with my phone.

iPod Shuffle (gumstick) --> ??? I have absolutely NO idea what I did with it. I probably donated it.
    iPod Nano 3rd Generation --> donated (it had some bad sectors on it where it'd start playing a song, and then skip to the next one)
    iPod Nano (? Generation; the lil square one) --> Sold to a former coworker for $80 when I bought my new car that syncs with my phone

iPhone 3G --> sold to an exbf (we were dating at the time) who claimed he needed it to test out backwards compatibility for his apps
    iPhone 4 --> still have it. Yeah, you read that right. I do plan an eventual upgrade, and when I do, it'll get wiped, loaded up with all my music & playlists, and then hooked up to the connector in my glove box so I don't have to worry about the bluetooth in my car going wonky (which is has since I upgraded to iOS 6, and hasn't ever been fixed ... because the people at the VW dealership are morons & want me to pay to have the receiver diagnosed, when all it needs is a flipping firmware upgrade, but hey, I'm a girl ... what do I know).

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Stick it back in the box or keep it in a drawer. It's fun to go back every now and then and they make good backups.

11. DucMike macrumors member

DucMike

Never got around to selling my jb'd 3Gs & just got around to "cleaning" & selling my unlocked/jb'd 4s via CraigsList this week. Probably could've gotten more for it given the shape I kept it in, but it pretty much paid for the 32gb 5s I just bought when they came out.

12. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I almost always sell my old devices on Craigslist.

iPod Mini 2nd gen - Sold for:
    iPod Nano 2nd gen - Sold for:
    iPod touch 1st gen - Sold for:
    iPad 1st gen - Sold for:
    iPad 2nd gen - Sold for:
    iPad Mini 1st gen - Still have

iPhone 3Gs - Sold eventually, but just because it wasn't being used.
    iPhone 4s - Sold for:
    HTC One - Dropped and destroyed the screen. Sad day. :(
    iPhone 5s - Still have

13. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Gave my 32gb 4S to my sister when I upgraded to the 5s.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've sold my old phones on craiglist but this last time I opted for trade the iPhone 4 into gazelle. When the iPhone 5 hit the streets, there was a huge supply of iPhone 4 phones being sold and while I could made a bit more money, it would require a lot more time and effort. What I got from gazelle was decent enough for me to justify it.

I think next time (iPhone 6), I may give the old phones to my daughters, they're nearing the age where they'll be getting phones. If not this coming cycle, then the next cycle 2 years after that, i.e., give them my iPhone 6 when I opt for the 7

15. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Most of my old or surplus devices have ended up on Ebay, usually to help fund their replacements or reluctant sales when I have one of my all-too-frequent financial 'crises'! One exception was my iPad 2 - which was used as 'part exchange' when I bought her old car! She has never had one before and was a little unsure to start with but she now uses it a lot and loves it!

16. aa521490 macrumors regular

17. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The only ones I've moved on from:
    - iPhone 4S - iPod touch for kids
    - iPad 2 - kitchen TV, kids toy

18. Akack macrumors 6502a

19. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

20. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

2nd gen iPod Nano - Passed to family member

3G - Passed onto family member (Poor thing didn't last a month after)

4 - Craigslist

4S - Sold to friend

Plan on keeping my 5S when it comes to that time to upgrade to a 6S. Want to get it unlocked as well, it'll become the "international" phone while the 6S stays at home. No more yearly upgrades for me.

21. macigo macrumors regular

22. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

ipod mini- stolen
    ipod 5th gen video- husband has it somewhere
    ipod 4th gen photo, handed down from husband, to daughter
    ipod touch 1st gen- died a peaceful death, the dock connector stopped working after a while
    black macbook late 2007- passed down to my daughter, then went to my mother
    ipod 3rd gen, passed to my husband, now my mother has it
    ipad 2- passed to my daughter
    iphone 4s- husband has it

never sold my apple stuff to anyone, just handed it down

23. JackieInCo macrumors 603

I've always sold mine. I still have an old 3GS 32GB sitting here. It's jailbroken so I never really wanted to get rid of it.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Between my wife and myself, I keep one iPhone of each design/form factor (usually the better S cycle version) and sell the others. As such, I have a collection consisting of the original iPhone, 3GS, 4S and now the 5s.

25. Tastowe macrumors newbie

You are lousy and worse dude. I don't like your comment about throw the idevices in the trash. I do keep my idevices for my collections instead throw in the trash. So your ideas are very dumb.