What did you GIVE for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Dec 26, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

There are two threads for what people received, but as usual, no thread for what people GAVE for Christmas. You know what they say "Tis better to give then to receive." I happen to agree. Don't get me wrong I like getting stuff, but Im always excited to see people open the stuff I bought them! So what did everyone get for other people?

I gave:

My Aunt: An iPod Shuffle Purple

[​IMG]

My Uncle: Spencer's Gift Card

[​IMG]

Can't really post the rest yet, cause it's possible that they will read the forums :)

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I gave nike one black golf balls to my bro

a piece of lugauge for my sister (shes going to Europe in a few weeks)

a sterling silver cross pendant with diamonds in it for my mom

and I bought my dad an airport extreme (his old rougher was wireless b :eek:)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Got my bro the South Park film (he loves the show but never saw the film).
    Got my sis Wall-E.
    Got my parents a selection box of Thorntons chocolates and a Ricky Gervais Live collection DVD and individually my mum a Beatles mug and pops a set of JBL speakers for his iMac.
    Girlfriend got Fallout collection and the new Tomb Raider (words cannot express what a TR fangirl she is :D).

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A CD my mom had been wanting, and a biography of Queen Elizabeth (she's been watching that miniseries on the Tudors and really enjoyed it). An AC/DC Zippo for my dad, and some nice coffee mugs for my sis. :)

5. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Sister got a Wii Fit (I had to dish out extra money for that thing since you can't find it anywhere! $125)

Mom got an Olympus Stylus 1010 10.1 MP, 7x optical zoom digital camera. $249.

Dad got an iPod Touch. Since he now needs a phone, we ate going to go to the Apple store together to get an iPhone.

A very Merry Christmas it was. :D

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I gave my dentist $1000 and two wisdom teeth.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I gave a Star Wars trivia book, two Iain M. Banks sci-fi novels, a Wall-E DVD, another book, a coffee card, Cuban cigars, movie theater gift certificates, a Map-gas torch/brazer, a spa package, an iTunes gift card, my personal collection of all 2004-2006 Essential Mixes and a fine dining gift certificate. I think that was about it...

8. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

what I gave was

Husband: Kansas- Point of Know Return CD, and shorts
    Daughter: clothes and a doll
    Mom in law: $40 gift card to the mall
    mom: warm shirts
    sister: warm shirt

Sister in law, apple pie, cookies, and my family's time:) (for Christmas parties she hosted)

Happy Holidays

9. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I gave:

Dark chocolate Toblerones to friends
    A pitcher to my mum
    An earring holder to my sister
    A set of blank nesting dolls to my sister
    Stuffed olives to my brother
    Misc. foodstuffs to my pa

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The gifts given never seem to be as good as the gifts received. ;)

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I always try to avoid this by being very generous and not asking for much (if anything) in return, but yes, I agree, this does appear to be the case the majority of the time. Unfortunate, in a way...

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Among other items, many received a copy of Tracy Kidder's
    Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World​

[​IMG]

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Perhaps I didn't mean you. However, a lot of people got some really nice clothes and electronic toys for Christmas, which surprised me considering the state of the economy. Then the gifts given by members here seem in-line with what I'd expect in today's economy....

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh yeah, I totally agree. A lot of people are hurting financially these days and you'd expect many to either be forced to cut back, or perhaps exercise some good judgement and cut back of their own volition. People spending beyond their means is part of the problem in which many people find themselves in these days, yet many individuals still seem to think they can have it all - or worse yet, they deserve to have it all - a misaligned sense of entitlement.

All that being said, of course there are still many fortunate, successful people out there who are not in the same less-desirable financial situation as others, and who can comfortably afford such niceties/luxuries without concern. Although I suppose I would technically fall into that category, I have never been one to spend extravagantly on myself, nor be materialistic in that way, i.e. being consumed or obsessed with having "things" in order to justify something. I guess my sig pretty much says it all in this case. ;) :cool:

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got my brother, mom, and dad new cell phones for AT&T since their T-Mobile contract just expired and now they can be on a family plan with me and take advantage of my AT&T discount. The phones are free after mail in rebate too so I didn't even really have to spend any money on them :D My parents have been wanting a new BBQ grill, and since I don't think they're selling them this time of year, gave them a gift card to Home Depot so they can use it whenever they go on sale. Gave my brother Family Guy Volume 6 (which he also gave me, so we should've just each bought ourselves a copy :p). And I gave my aunts and uncles a gift card to a restaurant here. That's about it, I have a small family which makes buying gifts cheap :D

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Lets see ... gift cards, cash, purse, toys, iPod, DVDs, books, painting (just one super special one), general junk, Titleist Pro v1x golf balls, and clothing.

Various people, various gifts. End-o-story.

Abstract, the gifts given are far more important than the gifts received you giant sourpuss. :)

17. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

For my sisters… Wall-E on DVD for one, Outnumbered series one for the other and various hot chocolate making goodies between them.
    For the 'rents… iPhoto hardcover album from our holiday in Cuba this year. Hardest part was whittling down nearly 10,000 photos (all CRW as well!) to 60/70 to fit in the album. Bit pricey, but very well received.
    For the girlfriend… Starbucks mug that she'd been lusting after for a while, Mock The Week: Too Hot For TV DVD (which for some reason none of her friends could find in town), a necklace and matching bra/very frilly pants (and was accused of being a cheeky little sod after buying size 8. They fitted though, I think she was very flattered :D)

I think I've been pretty happy with my present-giving this year :)

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Everyone got mediocre gifts except for the girlfriend, who got some nice new shinies from Tiffany & Co. :cool:

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Mom: Kai Shun Classic 8" Chefs knife
    Dad: HD cable box + installed cable to their bedroom
    Little sister: A couple of 360 games
    other sister: 1TB backup drive for her laptop

And I got nothing in return :(

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

21. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

- Trays of baking to family and friends.
    - A couple goats to my parents and in-laws. Well, not to them, but donated to families on their behalf. Who wants goat poop under the tree?
    - 4GB of RAM for my wife's Macbook. (The look on her face was precious. You could kind of decipher it as ... WTF?)
    - console games to the boys
    - clothes to the girls

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gave my mom and step father a 2 night stay at a Bed & Breakfast on the east end of Long Island and a collage picture frame with pictures of my niece and nephew in it.

Gave nephew a NY Jets football uniform (helmet, shoulder pads, pants) and a football. Niece got 2 Webkinz and a gift card to her favorite store.

Gave the girlfriend a day spa package and a GPS.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I gave what I got, just DVD's and games and such. Wasn't as fruitful for them this year compared to last, since I'm running on a near enough empty bank account :eek:

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I gave a few good ones this year:
    Mum - Mamma Mia! Blu-ray and iPod Nano
    Dad - Shirt from Disneyland Paris and iPod Nano
    Brother - WWE Blu-ray and a couple of action figures.

In return I got an iPhone & a Wii (My old one broke)

25. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Apple TV, "industrial" leather workboots, Blu ray player, 7" digital picture frame, christmas cards