What display do you have and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cuse7284, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cuse7284 macrumors member

Wondering what display you have and why? I know everyone uses the computer differently but i'm curious to see who has what, why and where they got it from?

I am a graphic designer and need a display. Looking for one thats 21"+, LED backlit and trying to decide between the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 (http://bit.ly/4ooEWX) and Dell SP2309W (http://bit.ly/z2RAk). Thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. cuse7284 thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

Your the man thanks. PS out of curiousity, what do you think of the two displays I listed above?

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I bought a HP 2009M monitor off Amazon.com for cheap. I needed a monitor because my 19" Toshiba LCD picture quality was not so great connected to my Mac Mini via DVI-HDMI. It's bright, nice picture quality, and good internal speakers. I'm not a monitor expert but I know this monitor isn't the best because it is TN and CCFL backilit. But for the price, it was well worth it.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Use a new Cintiq 21UX manufactured Nov 2009. This has a glass screen as opposed to some of them.

Greatest tool I have used for graphic design, illustration, and color calibration is simply stunning on mine.

Just so bloody annoyed I have one red pixel in the bottom left corner. Need 7 more stuck on a color (or one fully dead) for a replacement.... and this is on a $2000+ monitor.

Prior I had a Dell 2408FPW, and prior again a 2407FPW

6. cuse7284 thread starter macrumors member

what are your thoughts on Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 (http://bit.ly/4ooEWX) and Dell SP2309W (http://bit.ly/z2RAk). Which one should do you think is better?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I bought this monitor because I wanted 1080p, but I didn't want such a huge screen, so 21.5 was ideal. On my 24 inch Dell Monitor (those are great too!) It just gets annoying to me when using a 24 inch.

Anyways I picked this up for about $160.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...009175&cm_re=acer_21.5-_-24-009-175-_-Product

I know it's not the best monitor, but this while last me a while, and it was cheap. The colors looks really nice.

I know if your a professional this probably wouldn't work for you in terms in color, but for me it's great.

EDIT: I have the 24 inch monitor version of that Dell. It's a nice monitor, but again, some size pisses me off sometimes.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not a fan of the samsung's I've seen. Color calibration was seriously bad on all of them, even a photographer friend who has one - is having difficulty and he has the expensive external calibrating equipment.

Dell make good monitors for the most part, however there is a big difference in their budget/mid monitors to their ultra-sharp variants.

If i had to choose one of those i'd probably opt for the dell for no particular reason other than monitor customer service from them in my past experience has been great.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

NEC 2490WUXi. It's IPS, uses a polarizer, and has a matte finish. From a technical standpoint, I needed at least a 24".

But it was ultimately due to medical advice that I get monitors like this (vs. a cheap 24"), as I get really bad eye strain given the length of time I spend in front of one (12+ hrs/day isn't uncommon for me). I do take breaks, but it would still happen on inexpensive units (had this problem way back with CRT's, so it's not recent).

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

20 Inch cinema display. Looks good (asthetics), got it cheap used (75 dollars and an old Adobe CS3 license I got from a friend), IPS (I have a ps3 and a 40 inch Sony panel for gaming) and integrated hub. My next display might be the Dell model that uses the iMac screen if Apple doesn't get their act together on the next revision, whenever that may be.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

I wouldn't be too hung up on the LED backlight. Imagequalitywise it isn't any better than CCFL and the implementations in most monitors aren't perfect.

I use the Dell 3008WFP (30", 2560x1600) because of the resolution and also because it has a Displayport connector which is more reliable than Dual Link DVI when used with new Macs.

12. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

What do I have? a 30" ACD.
    Why? I placed a bid on eBay thinking I wouldn't win, but people stopped bidding and whadayaknow, I won it. Happy with the purchase.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

14. jetjaguar Suspended

jetjaguar

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Jealous
    Very jealous

16. macboy4 macrumors regular

I have the Dell SP2309W, but it's NOT LED backlit and it's a TN panel. Given that you're a pro I'm not sure if it'll suit you, but If you're not a professional, this monitor is fantastic for the money. I've had it for over a year and it's fantastic. It's as close as you can get to the 24" ACD in this price range. The built in camera is nice and the resolution is much higher than most 23" monitors. The pixel density is almost exactly the same as my MBP.

17. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i have a formac gallery raven 19" only reason i've still got it is because no one else will buy it and i cant afford something bigger :(

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

+1
    I have one too. This monitor rocks. It also has a S-IPS panel and native RGB controls that are very handy for calibrating the monitor (ACDs do not) -- I use a Spyder3Pro colorimeter. I use it for software development and photography. The Dell also has about every possible display input you can imagine. In addition to using this with my MacBook Pro (via mDP->DP adapter cable), I also have a PS3 and XBox 360 connected via HDMI for some occasional gaming.

19. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

I've been using my dell 3008wfp 30", which was the best option around imo (Apple 30 is nice too, just pricy and lacked connections) but now I'm ditching my 3008wfp for a 27" imac, because the LED backlighting is so much nicer, I had a hard time going back to a ccfl backlight. Plus apple's reputation for color accuracy is great and I'm actually a big fan of apple's new glossy screens (even if I am the only one who likes the glossy...don't face it towards a window and it looks worlds better than a matte display)

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have Dell 3007WFP-HC. I've had it for over 3 years and have been quite happy with it. I got it because I'm a sucker for high resolutions/screen real estate and this was the cheapest monitor with 2560x1600 at the time.