What do I do after I use mac the ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leamyb, Apr 30, 2009.

1. leamyb macrumors newbie

I recently installed Mac the ripper on my Mac inserted my DVD the program seemed to work fine saying that extraction was complete. It left me with a file with the DVD named on it. Now what do i have to do next? Im new to this whole Mac thing and Im hoping I did not bite off more than I can chew. Can someone help please? :confused:

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Download Handbrake.

Choose the Apple TV setting, and move the 'constant quality' slider to 62% and you'll have a DVD quality, iTunes/iPod playable file.

3. leamyb thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

You'll need to buy Toast for that.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Are you trying to make a backup copy of the DVD?

If so, use Toast to burn a UDF format DVD using the folder and it's contents (DVD_NAME/VIDEO_TS/) (I believe you can use the Video copy function also - it has the option to use a VIDEO_TS folder and should create the same UDF DVD).

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If all you want to do is burn a DVD, you have two options.

1. Buy Toast and you're done. It's a great application that you might want anyways.

2. If all of your DVDs are smaller than 4.3GB, or you have a Dual-Layer burner (and are willing to use DL media), then you can use DVD Imager (freeware) and Apple's Disc Utility application.

Personally, if you have other uses for Toast, I'd suggest getting it.

ft

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

+1 For Toast!

8. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

It was the second ap I purchased (after VMware) for my new iMac; I've been a Nero user (windows) for a long time and Toast is a very good disk utility program.

Although, when I tried to burn a DVD after using MTR, Toast didn't recognize the Video TS folder but it would recognize the Video TS folder (and shrink it to fit a single layer DVD) ripped from the same DVD using DVD Fabdecrypter (in XP). The older (2.0) version of MTR won't handle the encryption on most newer DVDs.

BTW, if you have a copy of windows (xp or vista) and set up a bootcamp partition, DVD Fabdecrypter (decrypts CSS protection on commercial DVDs so you can produce a backup of your DVD collection) and DVD Shrink (compresses files so they can fit on a single layer disk) are both free programs and work very well.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

just FYI: MTR is currently at v 3.0 (R14m)

10. leamyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the help What about playing Blu-Ray on the mac is it possible

11. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

If you mean popping a Blu-Ray into the drive and launching DVD Player, then no, it's not possible. And even though Toast supports Blu-Ray burning, it doesn't support playing commercial Blu-Rays on the Mac (somebody check me on that...I rarely use Toast for anything). I suggest you head over to the Plex forums and hang out there for a while. You'll find many of the answers you seek.

James

12. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

As everyone says what do you want to do with it.

Toast
    Pop-corn (which is part of Toast, without as many editing functions, so cheaper, and if baking up backups of your own dvds is all you're doing then its fine)

Using these to compress the video_ts folder (unless you are happy with burining to dual layer disks), and to burn to a DVD that will play in all (most) DVD players.

Both really easey to use.

You could also use the program Burn (FREE), this will not however compress you you'll have to use another compression program or burn to DL disks.