Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I got my iPhone 3GS about a week before Christmas. I got my first 3GS on release day but sold it in Sept. I think I got lucky because when I cancelled my contract the representative removed all traces of the iPhone from my account instead of cancelling my plan.

So now I have my 3GS which I love, but I finally have a way to support the purchase of the 4th iPhone.

So what do I need to do to upgrade in June? Everyone talks about selling their iPhones each year like it's no big deal. How do I do this so everything is kosher with AT&T?

I don't mind paying a little extra because I'm not exactly eligible for upgrade, but I don't want to pay the $599 or $699 no contract prices to upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with selling their iPhone after only a year and upgrading? iPhone prices are pretty consistant, so what can I expect for the premium iPhone model? (Last year's 32GB, hopefully 64 GB or higher this year)

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
the cheaper version of the iPhone will most likely be $200, based on past iPhones. If the AT&T rep removed all traces of you owning an iPhone from your account, you might not be eligible for an upgrade. It might have been better if the account had just been canceled, but anything is possible considering the debacle with the 3G S last year

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If your monthly bill for the single line you are trying to upgrade exceeds $100/month, then you are eligible for semi discounted pricing. Also, sell the 3GS and use whatever cash you get and use it to subsidize your new one.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
No sense in starting a new thread, so here's my question. Is there a difference between being "upgrade eligible" and being able to upgrade an iPhone at the lowest cost? I've been "upgrade eligible" according to AT&T website since february 2nd. I've only had this iPhone 3g for a bit over a year now. So I should be able to get the iPhone 4 at the lowest possible price correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.