What do I REALLY need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AndyinAtl, Dec 29, 2011.

1. AndyinAtl macrumors member

I have a 5 year old Dell. It will go in the garbage with nothing saved off it. I surf the web, use email and.... thats about it.:rolleyes:

At some point I'd like to fire the cable company and stream TV from Netflix/hulu.

I'd like to get a base 11 MBA as well as a $300-400 27" monitor. I would also get a wireless mouse and keyboard from apple.

Am I wrong to assume that a base MBA would be able to handle netflix? Does this sound like a good idea?

The sales dude at the computer store got glazed eyed and try to inform me of how much I need a disc thing blah blah blah...:D I've never really bought music until I got an Iphone 2 months ago so all purchases from here out will be thru itunes.

Thanks! Its just that it is alot of money.....lol

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

The MBA will be perfect for Netflix and stuff :D

I use it for Netflix all the time and it's great... If you keep it on you lap the whole time you are watching a movie it will get a little warm, but otherwise it handles all that stuff fine. (Heck, for what I do, Photoshop runs like a dream, so streaming should be no problem.)

I'd say go for it! And if you do need a CD drive, you can always get Apples External drive that is like 80 or 90 dollars.

3. Xikum macrumors 6502

Agree with this, but you can pick up non-Apple USB CD drives for alot cheaper too.

4. ethics101 macrumors regular

Dont get the apple keyboard. It's not even backlit.

5. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

What should I get? Also monitor suggestions? I would obvi love to drop a grand on an apple monitor but....

6. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

i am running a MBA 11" with a Dell u2311h and thats it. I use the MBA keyboard and trackpad and have the dell monitor to the left of the MBA. So when my cursor goes off the MBA screen on the left side it appears on Dell screen.

I thought about going clamshell mode and buying an apple keyboard and trackpad but thats more money and less screen real-estate. but if you wish to do so then go for it.

I got my Dell u2311h for about 250 on amazon. there is a newer model but the design looks worse but the technology used for the screen is better (no idea how, so i would go for the u2311h since it would be cheaper and its still a great screen to use).

7. Inplosion macrumors newbie

Don't get the mouse either. Or at least try it thoroughly before buying it. It's really uncomfortable for long time use.

8. AndyinAtl, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

What do people prefer for the mouse? should I try the track pad? Also When i get this will the MBA easily connect to the monitor?

9. ethics101 macrumors regular

Check out one of the logitech wireless backlit keyboard and one of the logitech mice. I think the keyboard is k800 and the mouse is m705

10. LordVic macrumors 601

because backlighting is a required feature of a keyboard right?:D

11. AndyinAtl, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

Ugh. Its a big decision. This will be my setup for 4 years minimum. I want it all to play well together. Thanks!

I assume if I want to stream netflix to my cheap 32" 4 year old flatscreen TV I'll buy a wireless router?

12. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

If the base one is the unit with just 2 gb of RAM and if you can afford it buying the 11 inch that has 4 gb of RAM is probably a better idea.

You cannot upgrade the RAM on a macbook air after the purchase it stays fixed in size.

13. ethics101 macrumors regular

For 69.99 it sure as Hell better be. I think its an area where Apple is really behind.

14. LordVic macrumors 601

15. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

I understand this... I really don't know that i'll need it. I'm not even sure what RAM is.

I know this is tough to grasp but think of me as a person who just doesn't have a clue. lol:rolleyes:

16. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

17. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

So here is the clue ... if you pay a little bit more up front you are likely to not have problems doing what you described that you wanted to be able to do.

The base machines are really running at close to base limits just turning them on without even doing anything.

Your machine needs memory to be able to run things ... and if you want a machine that stays viable for a couple of years ... the base machine is perhaps not a good choice. Streaming video and stuff like that chews up memory big time.

18. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

I'm off this week and I'm 40 minutes from an Apple store so....I think i'll mosey up there, buy the better eleven and re-evaluate in a week.

19. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

The plot thickens. A computer center has the base for $799. Apple store base is $999. The upgrade is $1199.

$400 more if I get the 11" with 4GB.

That is a lot of dough....:(

20. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

but bear in mind, the ram isnt upgradeable and i see you say it must last you at least 3 years? 2gb wont be enough... i dont think anyway
    isnt this a better option?:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC969LL/A

apple refurbs are like new anyway

21. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

For sure, i'd recommend 4gb - esp if you intend on keeping it for a few years. It'll be a shame not being able to utilise the beast down the line - especially when its not user upgradable.

As for monitors - i've recently done a lot of research myself and gave into this. Working a beast so far.

22. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

I totally respect y'alls opinion.

I envision having facebook open and say.... macrumors. On top of that maybe even send an email while those are running.

I'll then close everything out and stream a movie.

What I don't envision is having some lifestyle change where all of a sudden I will be doing some serious computing. I'm a construction worker.

What does the extra 2GB get me? What is it used for?

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Think of it as future proofing.

Both my MB and MBP have 8 GB which I use heavily when running Xcode or other hungry apps.

B

24. AndyinAtl thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh that is sort of my point. What is excode? Power hungr apps? I'm a construction guy. Dumb me down some.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Xcode is the tool programmers use to create applications for Macs and iOS devices... Is nothing else the extra RAM allows the OS to keep more stuff around for quick access. Less important on an MBA with a Solid State Disk over a slower Hard Disk.

B