What do u guys think about the new slim design for 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iNeedToDoHw, Jul 26, 2011.

1. iNeedToDoHw macrumors regular

What's apple's big plan?
    Is the 15" going to be included in the air family or the pro?

If the mbp lines become as thin as the air... what's happening to air?
    Will air become the next macbook?

I thought air was more premium then pro because of their slim prefile but i guess that will change in the future.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm guessing they will leave it as a Pro as it will have a discrete GPU, and possibly Firewire. I also think they will leave the optical drive on the 17" for now, just like it still has an ExpressCard slot. Assuming they do this, though, it leaves the 13" Pro in an odd spot, unless they reposition it as the new "budget" MacBook.

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

MBA's should stay ultra portable

MBP should focus on delivering cutting edge mobile performance and shouldn't sacrifice that for ultimate thinness

When someone designs a better heatsink then we can get MBP power with the air chassis.

4. JSalig macrumors 6502

I'll be getting it regardless of whether it's an air or a pro. A 15" laptop that's lightweight, has great battery life and awesome specs would hit the sweet spot for me. I just hope Apple doesn't go crazy and charge Sony-like prices.

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Love it!

I'll be first in line, been posting and wishing for a 15" air since I joined.

It's not meant to be appealing to the 11" user ... so those that don't like it quit complaining.

There is a LOT of people slugging around 15/17" screens only because they want the screen size, for them a 15" Air is a winner from day one.... Wait and see :)

6. urkel, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

I'm curious, why would Pros "need" thin?

Thin is appealing to consumers because (let's be honest) we "think" were going to carry around our notebooks a lot more than we actually do so we're willing to trade off certain features for the idea of ultra portability. But id say that most Pros know exactly what they're going to be doing with their MBPs and it doesn't involve going to the coffee shop to beat a deadline on an editing project. So is going "thin" at the expense of power or ports really a worthwhile tradeoff for the professional industry?

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would expect the new thin 15" laptop to be a part of the MBP line. Considering that Apple can charge higher prices for Pro machines, I don't see why they wouldn't want to do so. The 15" MBP "Air" could offer all of the processing power one would expect form MBP, as well as a reduced weight that most of us seem to be clamoring. I love MBA's, but most of us would likely enjoy more horsepower for VM's, games, etc. This new 15" laptop could be one sweet machine.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

9. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I would bet money right now that they add their dedicated AMD graphics card to this. Because if they do it would destroy every single Macbook to date.

10. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

sounds exciting but I won't be going back to 15" always was too much screen space for me personally. Gotta either go small or go big, can't settle for in the middle

11. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I can see the MBA replacing the Macbook range with 11, 13 and 15" models. The MBP will drop the 13" and stay at 15 and 17". This way, Apple can push the MBA at casual users with perhaps £799, £999 and £1199 price points and maintain the pro range at £1499 and £1999. I think the 13" MBP has served its purpose now. The lack of a dedicated GPU means that it only slightly outperforms the MBA and this is only in CPU-intensive tasks. In real world tasks the MBA is probably just as quick with the SSD.

People moan about the lack of optical drives and, yes I use mine to rip CDs/DVDs, but I do this so rarely that buying an external drive is not an issue (and I could even get a BluRay drive if I want!)

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It will be called the 15" Air, and will look like the 13". There will then be two lines of laptops, the Airs and the Pros.

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm all for it, but it is ABSOLUTELY ASCININE that the Macbook Pro 15" has the same resolution as the Macbook Air 13"

I wouldn't buy a 15" unless they had a higher resolution screen than they currently offer.

That being said...I think the 13" is the perfect blend/balance for my main portable machine. I've owned MBPs in 13, 15, and 17 and a Macbook Air 13. By far the Macbook Air 13 has been my absolutely favorite (typing this from a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" which I'm selling for a 2011 Macbook Air 13"). :D

14. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

YES!

I hope you are right, that would be so awesome, please Apple, make it happen.
    I dont see why you would buy the 13" mbp over the 13" mba, you get a lighter mac, more pixels per inch, virtual the same peformance, ssd etc..

15. iTiki macrumors 6502

11, 13 inch Airs and 15, 17 slim Pros with speedier CPUs and separate graphics, more ram. I can see it.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

FireWire. Larger capacity drives. better battery. IR port. Cheaper. DVD. Memory upgradeable. Ethernet.

Just because the Air is an ultraportable machine doesn't mean that the 13" Pro isn't also an ultraportable machine given the additional features.

17. PaulWog Suspended

A slimmer Pro line seems to cut into the idea of the Air line of laptops. I mean... once a Pro is slimmer, I really see no difference between a 13-inch Macbook Air and a 13-inch Macbook Pro (slimmed down). I'd probably go for the Pro in that instance, as weight isn't a huge issue... and size would be so similar (unless if they slim the Air line alongside the Pro line being slimmed down... though there comes a point where you can only get so thin! lol).

I simply hope graphics horsepower isn't ignore as things move forward. And I also hope battery life improves accordingly, rather than simply keeps up with the slimming of things. Otherwise, Apple has almost always been quite good about screen quality, keyboard quality, touchpad quality... etc, etc, etc... The only things that really are to be worried about (and only for some) are the graphics, and the battery. They tend to do well with both... but I mean... look at the new Macbook Airs, or the 13-inch Pro line... graphics is quite lacklustre. Decent. But still not impressive. It keeps up with the product and the other parts, but almost everything stands out as being amazing as opposed to the graphics. The battery life also is somewhat like that: Decent, and not detracting from the experience, but just not *that* amazing. If Apple could give the graphics solutions and battery life the same *wow* factor as everything else they pack into their machines (inside and out), I think I'd be keen to switch over to being purely Apple-based for my computing needs.

18. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Sure.... Apple is going to release an "ultra thin" laptop.
    This is like the most ridiculous rumor I have heard.
    Maybe they will be slimming it down a little but nowhere near the airs size.

19. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's exactly what i mean. I think the air will go down as what macbook use to be: the cheapest mac's and pros are gonna get more expansive with slimmed down feature.. obviously, we don't know how much thicker it is compared to mba yet, but 2k base 15" mbp will be crazy.

5 years ago, I thought paying 1k for macbook pro was crazy, now it's the norm...

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is what I think, too.

• 13", 15", 17" MacBook Pros with optical drives and FireWire, dedicated GPUs and standard mobile processors with higher clock speeds

• 11", 13", 15" MacBook Airs without optical drives or FW, integrated graphics and ULV or LV processors.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I believe it will be called 15 inch MBP. They will remove optical Drive and HDD. There is no other way to make it so much thinner. MBP is one of the thinnest laptop with optical Drive.

I don't use optical Drive. I use it once a month or maybe 2. It will save me trouble if apple can just get rid of optical Drive on 15 inch MBP. SERIOUSLY...

I was going to buy 13 inch MBA, but now I am changing my mind. If apple can give me what I am looking for from 15 inch MBA, then I would not hesitate to buy it on day one.

13 inch laptop is too small to be my main laptop.

15 inch perfect. Since, I already have 11 inch MBA, I am waiting. I had a feeling apple will update MBP one more time this year. Apple doesn't wait more than 10 months to update MBPs.

Last refresh was February, so it is time. I give about 3 months before apple calls for conference.

In the next three months, they will release iPhone, iPod touch and new MBPs.

22. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm still just waiting for 1440x900 on the 13in MBP. That's all I freaking want!!

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

15 inch ultra-thin laptop might become part of MBA or MBP. At the end, it doesn't matter.

I was going to purchase MBA 13 inch right now, but this news is making me to wait. I have 11 inch air for work. I do some traveling and 11 inch MBA is my best friend on the road. 13 inch MBA was going to be my primary machine with Apple cinema Display, but my main concern was that stupid intel HD 3000 graphic card. I want my laptop to be light. I do not mind big laptop, but I cannot deal with heaviness.

15 inch Air is going solve almost every problems I have right now.

I will only buy if the price is right... though.

24. seong macrumors 65816

seong

In case you haven't noticed, the new Macbook Air IS the new Macbook. Go to the Apple's online store website. No polycarbonate MacBooks to be seen.

I think unless Apple has stopped the production of 1280x800 displays, we won't be seeing the resolution that's on the MBA 13" on MBP 13". Once the stock is just enough for repairs for previous models, they will kill and go with 1440. Just my prediction.

25. seong macrumors 65816

seong