What do we need 16GB for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilgit, Jul 5, 2012.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I'm torn between the 8GB and 16GB possibilities on the RMBP. I do a lot of photo editing with CS6 and with Nikon NEF files from my D800 weighing at 80MB. Do I really need the 16GB version or will the 8GB suffice? What will the 16GB do for me that the 8GB can't?

2. SandboxGeneral, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you run multiple RAM intensive applications at the same time, more RAM will allow them to run faster and more smoothly.

If you're unsure about 16GB, I'd buy the MBP with the 8GB.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

16GB will theoretically double your RAM.
    8GB can't do that.

4. photosaurus macrumors regular

I do pretty much the same, I got the 16GB, and I've hit swap using aperture and CS6. I think it would still work ok with 8GB, but you will definitely get a benefit from the 16.

5. goMac macrumors 603

You can't upgrade the RAM on the retina Macbook Pro once you buy it. Why risk that you'll need it later? Just upgrade to 16 gigs.

If you use pro apps it's the sort of upgrade that will serve you well in the future.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing theoretical about it...

6. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

If he gets the RMBP he can not add more RAM. The RAM is un-upgradeable. If I was you just go with the 16GB it is a piece of mind having more memory. Even if you do not need it.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right; I overlooked his RMBP and thought he was considering the regular MBP.

So in that case, I'd just go with the 16GB and not have to worry about it.

9. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

if you're not sure go for 8gb.

10. bamaster macrumors member

16GB will improve your USB throttle density and quadruple the pixel shift capacity. 8GB is nice and all, but it can't even sync with my wireless mouse. Go 16GB or you'll regret it later.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

16GB is really only for professional work.

I do visual fx for film and television and the project I am working on is maxing my 16GB Mac Pro right now. So for me its required....for most tho....4GB is plenty.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get 16GB, because you can't upgrade it afterwards.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, it doesn't.

14. Aftershocker macrumors member

Its a fact that 8GB will give you insomnia from wondering if you should have got 16GB. So the question is whether good sleep is worth an extra $200 to you :rolleyes:

For me it is...Plus in getting applecare and keeping the machine for almost 3 years, so thats what $66 a year to me...

15. r3dm4lcz macrumors member

This. For the sake of £160 to upgrade, I'm willing to do that than 1) regret later and 2) lose any sleep over-thinking.

16. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

The logic seesm to be that Each new iteration of OSX requires more ram than the last run comfortably. I am sure that 8GB will be fine for Mountain Lion and it's next couple of follow ups. But as you lose ram to the OS you have less for your applications. And if Adobe/Microsoft etc keep thigns up I am sure they will be hogging their fair share.
    Just remember only a coupel years ago 4gb was more than enough. Heck 5 years ago 2gb was adequate.

17. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

^this :).

18. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

8GB of Ram can't sync your mouse?

Gotta call BS on that one.

19. bamaster macrumors member

I can tell you this. I have the base config RMBP with 8GB. And the CPU lubricant already needs to be changed and the display hinge resonators are causing memory leaks. Irregardless, you can make up your own mind.

20. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I use mine in a professional capacity, throwing very large 36mp image files around, many times upwards of 300mp in panoramas. But even to more modest users, I say "why not?" You're already spending $2200. It's sorta like Apple Care. Throw in $200 for security and peace of mind.

My sister just ordered hers for college. I straight up told her that a MacBook Air would suit her needs, but with graduation money and such, she had the cash and wanted the best. I can't argue with that. I said base model is fine, but if you've got the $200, get the RAM upgrade since you can't change your mind later and you are going to have this computer AT LEAST 4 years. So that's what she did.

21. TheMacBookPro, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

It's not an issue specific to the 8GB models. I have a 16GB model and I already need to refill the stereo speaker fluid, and I'm only on 10 battery cycles- I went nearly 200 cycles on my MacBook Air before needing to refill the speaker fluid on that!

Speaking of fluids, I think my car is out of blinker fluid again. I'll have to remember to buy a refill some time soon.

22. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If I were buying the RMBP, I'd get the 16GB RAM version... While 8GB may suffice today.. tomorrow.. next year too.. but in 2 years [ if you plan to hold on to this rMBP for a while ] you may feel the lacking RAM!

Since the SSD *may be* upgrade-able [ per OWC ], it's not an issue as much as the soldered RAM!

23. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I wonder if anyone has ever put this crazy theory to the test?!

24. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

As a fellow D800 user, I'm telling you, get the 16GB. Trust me.