What do you carry your laptops in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sansa11, Dec 30, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

I'm going to be purchasing a Macbook sometime next month and I wanted to know what bag you guys use. I hope it will give me an idea on what to buy for myself.

Specifically, I'm looking for a bag that will carry a 13" Macbook nicely and has room for plenty of other carry-ons. I don't want it to be too bulky though. I will travel with it, so I'll sometimes put clothes in it. If not clothes, I'll be putting in my camera in it. Currently a Nikon N60, but soon to be D40.

And I would prefer backpack style as I have minor scoliosis and the messenger and sling type bags hurt my back.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know whether your scoliosis would let you use a pullaround, but I use one very much like this. Bought it at SAMS club for about $60.

I travel extensively for work, and this one will carry my laptop, an external mouse, P&S camera, flashlight, 25' tape measure, pens, calculator, voice recorder, a leather notebook, and a change of clothes. In a pinch, I can also get a 6" Subway Club in there for the plane ride home. :)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I carry my MBP in a neoprene sleeve which I then put in my backpack. Nothing special.

4. svndmvn Guest

[​IMG]
    don't know about a DSLR, but it has a nice compartment for the macbook, and plenty of books,iPod,glasses,cellphone

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have sleeves for my laptops, and then various messenger bags and backpacks to throw them in. :cool: If you opt for a decent sleeve, you can pick your backpack of choice without having to find a specific "laptop backpack" that meets your needs and criteria.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Right now some girlie liz claiborne bag. When I get to my new place a nice Wenger bag that is perfect for a 13" MB Air. It was a very generous gift from a friend. :eek:

8. hhlee macrumors 6502

9. ant043 macrumors regular

incase slim backpack. It's brilliant. Don't even notice the the macbook pro's weight at all.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Apple sac and then chuck it in to either my samsonite/ tagrus backpacks or tech-air messenger bag.

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Applesac and then a Targus backpack or a messenger bag - depending on my mood and the weather.

:D

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Booq bags have cases made for DSLR's and lenses and your Mac. The best bag I have ever owned; however, the priciest.

13. mikethemovie macrumors member

Aluminium Macbook: 2.0

9to5 Laptop sleeve (Barrys Farm).. (you could prob throw your macbook out of the window on the second floor.. This sleeve is so thick and soft..)
    [​IMG]

For protection Speck Seethru Satin
    [​IMG]

On my wishlist!
    [​IMG]:cool:

14. McShizzel macrumors regular

I use a timbuk2 bag as well but I bought it some time ago so it's not one of the newer style bags. But it still looks good after about 2 years, for the price it offers great quality (rugged and water repellent so far) although it's not as roomy as other bags.

15. jroller macrumors regular

Don't have a specific model recommendation, but I always have bought the Brenthaven bags and have been very happy with them.

16. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I use several bags for several things:
    Crumpler The Considerable Embarrassment - everyday bag, fits all I take from/to work
    [​IMG]
    Wenger SwissGear backpack - For the university (carry MB + notebooks + university textbooks). Don't know the exact model, received it as a gift.
    [​IMG]
    Samsonite Executive Backpack - for work travel. This backpack has been with me for more than 4 years, it is built like a tank and pretty much indestructible. I went through a couple of Targus and OGIO bags before settling on this.
    [​IMG]

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I use a Speck hardshell case cover for my MBP which is then stowed in an Incase "briefcase" type carrier for 15". I then use either my DaKine backpack or a messenger bag, depending on what I need. I'm able to fit my Rebel XSi in the DaKine backpack pretty well - but it isn't ideal for a long time away from home.

Someone posted awhile back a backpack that had storage room for a DSLR and lenses, as well as a laptop. I'll have to find the link.

18. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

19. dnguyen macrumors regular

in a neoprene case i bought from bookstore and my northface backpack

20. MindBrain macrumors regular

You should look at either the Kata Sensitivity V or the Kata Prism U. I have the Sensitivity V and carry around a 13" Aluminum Macbook, Nikon D60, and a bunch of other stuff. This bad is perfect for this size camera too, many other laptop/camera backpacks are far too big, designed to hold larger cameras and such.

If you don't like these there is also the Lowepro Fastpack 250.

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=330&Version=Photo
    http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=329&Version=Photo

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086.htm

21. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I have a Booq Vyper for protection.

I stopped using a backpack and went to a roller. When I travel for business, I use a red Cordura roll-on that I bought from Walmart for $29.

At the airport, the TSA idiots have a real issue with backpacks, and pull people with backpacks out of line all the time for inspections. Since I have been rolling this red bag around, I haven't been inspected once.

My theory is that if I had a high-end bag, it would scream, "Steal me, something expensive is inside!"

The red color differentiates it from all the black bags out there, and makes it less desirable to steal.

I usually pack some clothing in the bottom for padding, then the MBP, a camera, the peripherals, and some snacks. The two pockets serve well for papers and folders.

What started out as a temporary solution for the 17" MBP has become my bag of choice. I have looked for other rolling bags, but I can't find one that I like as well. It is lightweight, it rolls well over difficult terrain, the retracting handle works, and it has survived almost 3 years of use and abuse.

I am secure enough with my image that I look for function and not brand name, but that's me. Just my $.02.

22. mkueffer macrumors newbie

My totes:

For my office MBP 17" I use the Oakley S.I. Bag with an Incase sleeve.

I also have a Kata R-103 to carry my Canon 40D and will also fit the 17", but mostly tuck the MB Air for travel with the photo gear.

Both of them can get heavy once you add all of the gear that I carry (70-200mm F2.8 IS lens is over 3lb alone).

I like the quality of both bags and provide the necessary protection when traveling

23. Ekos macrumors newbie

Ekos

I utilize a nike bag, and my mac goes inside an incase black zip sleeve. Works great.

24. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

Nice. So mainly, an Incase Sleeve than a backpack.

I'm really liking those Timbuk2 bags and those nice Kata bags, but there are so many choices! Thanks:D